Some squeaks and clunks...ujoints?

Yorkie

So after my inaugural wheeling trip in my Tj some things are off. I know I put a nice dinger in my driveshaft, but now I I'm getting new noises. From 0-20 I get a clunking noise and a squeak and the squeak continues to about 45 (i don't know of it continues or I just can't hear it over the engine and normal jeep noise) my guess is one of the ujoints is acting up. Do these sound like the right symptoms or am I off the mark?

I took a video while driving but I'm not sure how to get it here lol

Yorkie

So just an update on this topic...driving home from work when I heard a new noise to then a loud pop and a burning oil smell. Long story short my t-case decide to split in half ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1406052556.775399.jpg

pvanweelden

Holy crap! that sucks :(

Good news if any is- it should be a NP231 (if you have the 4.0) transfer case, and both TJ's and XJ's used them, so you should be able to find one in a junkyard.
I would still watch your ujoints, both axle shafts and driveshafts.

Yorkie

Holy crap! that sucks :(

Good news if any is- it should be a NP231 (if you have the 4.0) transfer case, and both TJ's and XJ's used them, so you should be able to find one in a junkyard.
I would still watch your ujoints, both axle shafts and driveshafts.

Just bought it from a used car dealer so now I'm on the works to get them to pay for the part but that's my ultimate plan I'll probably need a drive shaft too that probably is bent

pvanweelden

^ sorry, I guess I saw you mention a ding in the driveshaft, but I didn't realize it was bent. I would not drive it with the bent one after the transfer case is replaced. If it is the front that is bent, just remove it. If it is the rear, I would replace it before driving it with the new transfer case. Without a sye, oil will leak out the transfer case with the rear ds removed.

Sent from my SM-N900V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom