what kind of damage can occure when diesl ran through the wrangler JKUR engine?

snapfish

hi all. last Thursday July 17, 14, i stopped by Pilot gas station in Hesperia/ 395 HWY and filled up my gas tank with 17 gallons of diesel. before you say "what an idiot' please read this: i used the gas pump and selected 89 octane gas (Petrol) fuel.
i drove the jeep home (about 8 miles away from the gas station and drove to work next day for another 38 miles (going down hill) ). i did not notice any issues.... after work, i pulled the jeep out of the parking lot, and drove for about 300 feet, then the engine cutoff and was backfiring .....no smoke or any indication of fuel contamination.
I pulled a side and plugged my OBDII reader, and gave me code P0300 (random misfire,) and P0305 (misfire at piston #5)... i replaced the spark plug and coil control unit... but that did not fix it.
i had the Jeep towed to the dealership where the service tech asked me if i had filled up with gas at pilot station ( how did he know that?) he said he had about 12+ chrsyler and jeep vehicles in his shop for same issue.

THE Jeep still at the dealership..

my question is, since i drove my jeep for about 45 miles, is my engine is now damaged or just the fuel system just need cleaning?

thank you,

Mike

***UPDATE*** 7/22/14..
the dealership service department representative called and said "to start", it will be $2200, for the cleanup of the fuel system.... then they diagnose everything else afterward and see if the cleanup is all that will be needed or there might be some parts that will be changed.... he also said, cost of repair may go up to $7k....

Last edited:

JKFlyer

Damn...wish I had an answer for u. Hope its ok

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using WAYALIFE mobile app

snapfish

I think Pilot needs to buy you a new engine.
Hi Moochie,
Yes, Pilot station agreed to "reimburse" me for the repairs, yet, i do not have a definitive answer from the dealership as to the extent of the damage.

Last edited:

Moochie

Hi Moochie,
Yes, Pilot station agreed to "reimburse" me for the repairs, yet, i do not have a definitive answer from the dealership as to the extent of the damage.

At least they are admitting they screwed up. This whole process might take some time. Have you hit them up for a rental car yet?

t8er

Based on past experience you shouldn't need a new engine just a good cleaning of the fuel system. It's going to be down for a bit especially if there are 12 other vehicles alone in the same shop for the same problem on top of normal work. As has been said before just be happy that Pilot is admitting the issue is on them and will pay for repairs.

snapfish

Based on past experience you shouldn't need a new engine just a good cleaning of the fuel system. It's going to be down for a bit especially if there are 12 other vehicles alone in the same shop for the same problem on top of normal work. As has been said before just be happy that Pilot is admitting the issue is on them and will pay for repairs.

t8er, thank you... that is good to know... i never had such bad experience and it worried me that i may end up with lots of repairs, and huge bill if Pilot station decided not to honor their promise to pay for it.

JAGS

Hooked
Man, just caught up with this thread. Does suck, but hope it's just a flush/cleaning or something of that nature. Also good Pilot is fessing up. I filled up there on Monday (7/14) heading back south. I'm guessing the mix up was after that as I don't seem to have any issues and have filled it up twice since.

Moochie

I wonder if this is the same gas station that Eddie & Cindy stopped at today and took a photo of this sign.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1406003277.349195.jpg

dwvninety

hi all. last Thursday July 17, 14, i stopped by Pilot gas station in Hesperia/ 395 HWY and filled up my gas tank with 17 gallons of diesel. before you say "what an idiot' please read this: i used the gas pump and selected 89 octane gas (Petrol) fuel.
i drove the jeep home (about 8 miles away from the gas station and drove to work next day for another 38 miles (going down hill) ). i did not notice any issues.... after work, i pulled the jeep out of the parking lot, and drove for about 300 feet, then the engine cutoff and was backfiring .....no smoke or any indication of fuel contamination.
I pulled a side and plugged my OBDII reader, and gave me code P0300 (random misfire,) and P0305 (misfire at piston #5)... i replaced the spark plug and coil control unit... but that did not fix it.
i had the Jeep towed to the dealership where the service tech asked me if i had filled up with gas at pilot station ( how did he know that?) he said he had about 12+ chrsyler and jeep vehicles in his shop for same issue.

THE Jeep still at the dealership..

my question is, since i drove my jeep for about 45 miles, is my engine is now damaged or just the fuel system just need cleaning?

thank you,
Mike

That suck's. Imagine if you gassed up for the 1st day of your vacation and this happened to you.

MTG

Caught the Bug
I wonder if this is the same gas station that Eddie & Cindy stopped at today and took a photo of this sign.
View attachment 92639

They found the fuel truck driver too...goes by the CB handle Ridgewalker, or something like that.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1406003869.589300.jpg

"Look man I've been doing this job for four days now. Ain't no way in hell I put the wrong fuel in that there hole."

OP: I'd get my own evaluation of the engine and push hard to make Pilot cover all your expenses.

RUBINOT

Caught the Bug
My sister had that happen several years ago. She drove about 60 miles before the engine stalled out on the highway.

Dealership completely flushed and cleaned her entire fuel system. New fuel pump, filters etc. The repair was paid for by the gas station.

Her car is running fine, with no side effects:)

Sent from my SPH-L710 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom