Identifying a rubicon

jsum87

What are some quick easy ways to know if a JKU is a Rubicon?

A little back story:
A friend bought a JKU with lots of aftermarket parts. He was recently told, by ORW, that it was a Rubicon. There are no identifying badges or decals and I was wondering how you can tell by looking.

It only has a rear locker, no front locker and it has a an electric sway bar disconnect.

If it were a rubicon it would have a front locker in it unless it wasn't the stock axle. Is the locker button and the sway bar disco built in to the dash of the jeep???

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Brankz

Rubis have d44 front and rear
Rubis have quick disconnects bottom
And lockers
Rubis have more fancy interior
Trust me if you or your friend have a rubi you will know ;)

StrizzyChris

The quick and easy 5 second way(on a stock Jeep) to tell is to look at the front axle.

If the differential is round like zero 0 (like pic below) this its a Dana 30 and its not a Rubicon

NP-COVER-D30-01.jpg

If the differential is shaped like a D(like pic below) then its a Dana 44 and its a Rubicon

800px-JeepDana44.jpg

jsum87

If it were a rubicon it would have a front locker in it unless it wasn't the stock axle. Is the locker button and the sway bar disco built in to the dash of the jeep???

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using WAYALIFE mobile app

They're under the A/C controls, in front of the shifter.

StrizzyChris

BUT it sounds like the worked on it, and maybe even tried to cheat and make it look like a Rubi, so the only way to know for sure is to look up the VIN like mentioned above

jsum87

Rubis have d44 front and rear
Rubis have quick disconnects bottom
And lockers
Rubis have more fancy interior
Trust me if you or your friend have a rubi you will know ;)

That's what I thought. I told him I didn't think it was a Rubi. He just doesn't want to hear it because I'm not a "professional". It's his first jeep and he bought it already beat up and he keeps trying to justify his $24,000 purchase of an '08 sport. Lol

jsum87

BUT it sounds like the worked on it, and maybe even tried to cheat and make it look like a Rubi, so the only way to know for sure is to look up the VIN like mentioned above

I agree, i'll look at the diff's tomorrow and try to look up the vin.

jsum87

He says the guy at ORW looked up the VIN and that's why he said it was a Rubi. It just doesn't have any of the perks of a Rubi. Lol it doesn't have power locks or windows, not sure if that's a definite thing in rubi's but my X has them.

Christarp

He says the guy at ORW looked up the VIN and that's why he said it was a Rubi. It just doesn't have any of the perks of a Rubi. Lol it doesn't have power locks or windows, not sure if that's a definite thing in rubi's but my X has them.

rubis can be had with manual door locks and windows. I'd look up the VIN or go to the dealership and request a build sheet. I think you can do it online somewhere on the jeep website but I'm not entirely sure where.

Top Bottom