Problem with LED Tail Lights

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
For all the electrical gurus out there, I have a problem with the LED tail lights on Moby that I just found last night. Specifically, the LED tail lights will illuminate when the brakes are engaged and when the turn signals or hazards are on but, they no turn on with the parking lights and/or headlights. I've checked the tail light fuses and they look okay. I checked the plugs at the lights and everything looks okay there too. I've tried doing a quick search online and couldn't find anything out there. Anyone have this problem before or know how to fix it? I'd be grateful for any help you can provide - thanks :cool:

MTG

Caught the Bug
I am not an electical guru by any means. Could a bad resistor (like the ones installed at the tail light) cause this issue?

What does the indicator do on the dash? Do the flash normally or in rapid succession? Is it both lights?

Have you checked to see if the front lights are flashing when engages?

Check to see if the hazards work?

If I am not mistaken the hazards run off a different relay than your turn signals. Check the relay for your turn signals.

R/
Will

JAGS

Hooked
Someone else had a similar problem several months back, but is was when they installed. Can't recall all the details. I think he blew a fuse for the rear parking lights that was his issue? Or I'm remembering wrong. Just throwing an idea out there.

- Jason

pvanweelden

it is both rear leds?
That would rule out one bad resistor.
Sounds like you are not getting the 12 volts from the parking light factory wire. I believe the factory wiring comes down the driver side, then crosses over to the passenger side at the rear.
You could get a 9v battery and test the led lights individually (unplugged from the factory wiring) to make sure that the Led's still work.
There should be 3 wires on the Led's- one is parking lights, brake lights, and ground. use the 9v battery to verify the parking light led's still work.
If they do, then its time to verify with a volt meter if you are still getting 12 volts from the parking light factory wire.
Very odd that the turn signals work but not the parking lights

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The lights are installed on an 07 JK so we never bothered to install resistors. In other words, the indicator lights blink fast when selected and work fine on the dash. Hazards work fine and the front indicator lights work fine as well. Everything works normal and so long as I drive around during daylight hours, you don't even know that anything is wrong. Cindy was driving Moby last night and I was following in Rubicat and that's probably the only reason why I knew something was wrong. The standard tail lights that are supposed to go on with the parking and/or head lights simply do not come on.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, it's both lights. I will try to do a 9v battery test as soon as I can get one. I will also give all the wiring another look now that it's daylight.

pvanweelden

You could use anything for testing- a 9 volt battery is handy. But if you have some wire laying around, you can go straight from the 12 volt battery, or a 12v or 18v battery from a hand tool. just make sure you disconnect the led from the factory wiring first.
You are either not getting the 12 volts from the parking light wire or both led's burned out that part of the circuit.
I will check my 07 over lunch for any better suggestions on the factory wiring/fuses to check.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks, I really appreciate the help. I'm on my way out to Motech now and may not be able to do much more checking until I get Moby back... hopefully later tonight or tomorrow.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
Thanks, I really appreciate the help. I'm on my way out to Motech now and may not be able to do much more checking until I get Moby back... hopefully later tonight or tomorrow.

Mark from trucklights knows wiring and the lights. Might want to send him a message

SDG

Caught the Bug
If it were me I would get a multimeter and check that when the headlights are on you are getting the 12v current to the rear tail light. Then you will know if its the lights, prob a resistor or a larger problem with the wiring.

From what I was able to find it should be as such:
The tail lights (running) have white/yellow wires.
The stop/left turn is dark green/red & the stop/right turn is brown/red.
Reverse is white/purple.

Hope that helps.

GCM 2

I am interested in the cause and the fix for Moby. I also have a gremlin with my taillights, the same make lights as yours Eddie and almost the same armor (but probably wired identically nonetheless at ORE). Since day one of having my rear EVO Outlaw Armor done, I have noticed that when I close the driver door (closed fairly hard, like most jeeps need) my driver side rear brake light will flash like the brake pedal was just tapped. I tried to trace it but all looks like it should. I definitely do not have any of the other issues you are having with Moby's taillights, and my issue is something I have just dealt with since everything else functions normally.

MTG- no issue with your set up??

biggy

I am interested in the cause and the fix for Moby. I also have a gremlin with my taillights, the same make lights as yours Eddie and almost the same armor (but probably wired identically nonetheless at ORE). Since day one of having my rear EVO Outlaw Armor done, I have noticed that when I close the driver door (closed fairly hard, like most jeeps need) my driver side rear brake light will flash like the brake pedal was just tapped. I tried to trace it but all looks like it should. I definitely do not have any of the other issues you are having with Moby's taillights, and my issue is something I have just dealt with since everything else functions normally.

MTG- no issue with your set up??

Mine does the same thing as yours GCM. I have Trucklite tails though. It doesn't really bother me but I've always wondered why. I believe opening any door including the tail gate will produce it

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So, I have to say that it's the damnedest thing but when we were picking up Moby from Motech, I asked Robbie about this problem and when he turned on the lights to give them a look..... THEY CAME ON like normal!! Go figure :rolleyes2:

I have to say, while I'm glad that they are working again, I hate intermittent problems as they are a lot harder to track down. :sigh:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Glad they are working, I hope they stay working :)

Sent from my SM-N900V using WAYALIFE mobile app

You and me both but to be honest, I think I would have preferred they still were out. That way I could fix them and know they will keep on working. :crazyeyes:

Krieger

I hope you get it figured out, gremlins suck I have recently acquired a fast blinker on the drivers side. I've checked the fuses and all the bulbs work, so its got me a little stumped.

turbineguy

I hope you get it figured out, gremlins suck I have recently acquired a fast blinker on the drivers side. I've checked the fuses and all the bulbs work, so its got me a little stumped.

I have the same thing. I finally figured out it was a intermittant short where the Harness connected to the fixture and vibrates loose. Haven't fixed yet. I think I caused it by stretching harness to pull out bulb.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom