Bought the wife a wrangler so I could get a lift

millerca2

So, I finally found a way to convince my wife I need a lift on my wrangler. I bought her one (last weekend 2014 amp'd Sahara unlimited).

Now she likes to be up higher than everyone so I am convincing her to lift her jeep so I can do mine.

I have read the newbie facts and they are very helpful. I now know the kinds of lifts and I think I want to get her a 2 inch budget boost. She doesn't want bigger tires (yet) and it is a daily driver so I need it to continue to be a good smooth ride for her.

Is the budget boost using stock shocks the best option or should I get new shocks, bump stops, etc. Or do something else entirely.

Comments and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Sent from my SM-N900V using WAYALIFE mobile app

TheDuff

While new shocks would be nice, you definitely do not want cheesy shocks like those made by tera flex. A good quality monotube shock would be best, but keep in mind, some shocks (bilstien 5100 for example) are considered by some to be a stiff ride. With that being said, ride is very subjective. If lite or no offroading is going to be done, sourcing some Rubicon take offs paired with shock extensions would probably be exactly what your looking for. I don't know much about the amped Sahara, but I'm gonna assume they use the same black twin tube shocks on it as previous Sahara models and the factory Rubicon monotube shocks are a pleasant upgrade, and one that can be had for nearly free in most cases. Hope that helps to address the shock part of your question. Keep in mind though, that the tires on the jeep now will look super tiny even after just a budget boost and given that you can fit a 33" tire with No lift, you may want to plan ahead with the largest tire size you willing to run in mind. If a 33 or 35 is it, then a leveling kit would probably be a better fit. Using the smallest lift to clear the desired tire will yield the lowest center of gravity and imo looks the best. You gotta also keep in mind, larger tire is like adding a lift, the jeep Will sit half the amount of size difference between the tires higher. My wife doesn't like getting into my jeep with 3.5" lift and 35's. Good luck and have fun.

Sent from my LG-D800 using WAYALIFE mobile app

adamsnewone

I ran mine on a 2.5 bb rough country with shock extensions and coil spacers for a while. It worked good on and offroad. Added some rubicon shocks later and the ride improved a tad. Then swapped out to a full setup. But got my fiancé a 4 door rubicon and put the same kit on and hers ride just as it did stock. For someone not doing much off-roading, the budget boost works great.

millerca2

While new shocks would be nice, you definitely do not want cheesy shocks like those made by tera flex. A good quality monotube shock would be best, but keep in mind, some shocks (bilstien 5100 for example) are considered by some to be a stiff ride. With that being said, ride is very subjective. If lite or no offroading is going to be done, sourcing some Rubicon take offs paired with shock extensions would probably be exactly what your looking for. I don't know much about the amped Sahara, but I'm gonna assume they use the same black twin tube shocks on it as previous Sahara models and the factory Rubicon monotube shocks are a pleasant upgrade, and one that can be had for nearly free in most cases. Hope that helps to address the shock part of your question. Keep in mind though, that the tires on the jeep now will look super tiny even after just a budget boost and given that you can fit a 33" tire with No lift, you may want to plan ahead with the largest tire size you willing to run in mind. If a 33 or 35 is it, then a leveling kit would probably be a better fit. Using the smallest lift to clear the desired tire will yield the lowest center of gravity and imo looks the best. You gotta also keep in mind, larger tire is like adding a lift, the jeep Will sit half the amount of size difference between the tires higher. My wife doesn't like getting into my jeep with 3.5" lift and 35's. Good luck and have fun.

From what I see the leveling kit typically is 1" to 2" in front and less in the back. That would definitely have her riding higher. Definitely in the front and from her perception.

I didn't even think about bigger tires adding some height all by themselves. "Duh"... So, I think a leveling kit and 33's should easily give her want she wants and maintain a good ride.

That sound right?

Once I get hers I will come back for advice on mine :)

TheDuff

From what I see the leveling kit typically is 1" to 2" in front and less in the back. That would definitely have her riding higher. Definitely in the front and from her perception.

I didn't even think about bigger tires adding some height all by themselves. "Duh"... So, I think a leveling kit and 33's should easily give her want she wants and maintain a good ride.

That sound right?

Once I get hers I will come back for advice on mine :)

A leveling kit with 33's will look good on a unlimited, it will get rid of the factory rake and definitely will feel taller from inside the rig. A full 2.5" budget boost with 33s Would leave you wanting 35s, cause the 33s Would appear small, obviously just my opinion. Here was my rig on 33s and a 2.5" lift 1406238168396.jpg might look ok there, but if you chop the fenders it doesn't look right 1406238290952.jpg

TheDuff

Also,I would go with the metric equivalent of a 33", they measure much closer to 33" than a tire with 33" stamped on the sidewall. For a great daily driver and good offroad tire, I would recommend duratracs. Obviously Toyo or nitto are both great tires, but your wife may or may not like the ride of a mud terrain tire.

Abattoir

So I have to take a slight variation on this approach... My wife has laid claim to the JKUS in the driveway and will not let me do anything to it at least while my mother is still alive. She did however open the door to letting me have one too that I can play with. I thought she would never ask. Twist my arm.. ok I surrender. I know she will want it once I have it done. :yup:

Top Bottom