welding tubes to gear housing on rear end

utiadam

LOSER
So Ive seen a few posts about the rear axle welds breaking and twisting but the tubes staying in the correct position. I was wondering if anyone has tried welding the axle up before that happens?
MD_Img5.jpg
so it looks something like that from the factory ^^
has anyone tried to do this?
318_weld.jpg
any reason to not do that?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If your welds look like that from the factory, you're probably going to be okay with them. A lot of the newer axles barely have what looks like a glorified booger looking tack weld in them. As far as your question goes, the housing is cast and the tubes are steel. You'd have to have someone with the know how to do it right and I personally would pull the internals of your diff out as the heat needed to do this could fry your seals and compromise the gear oil inside.

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
If your welds look like that from the factory, you're probably going to be okay with them. A lot of the newer axles barely have what looks like a glorified booger looking tack weld in them. As far as your question goes, the housing is cast and the tubes are steel. You'd have to have someone with the know how to do it right and I personally would pull the internals of your diff out as the heat needed to do this could fry your seals and compromise the gear oil inside.

x2 you would need someone who knows a good amount about welding things like that, also I believe it needs to be heated to around 450 then welded while hot, special rods, and then slowly cooled down. Saw this on while someone shaved a 14 bolt down for better clearance. Deff not something a normal person could do at home.

utiadam

LOSER
Thanks Eddie and Hinrichs! I knew the axles were easily damaged when being welded such as doing a truss. I was just curious as to if welding the tubes was a good idea or not. I think I'll leave it alone.

HDGasser

Welding cast iron and cast steel are 2 completely different procedures.

Now I'm not 100% but I don't think the housings are cast iron... Just seems like that would be too brittle for the abuse they take on the rocks.

If the housing is cast steel you could weld them to the tubes with steel welding rod. If your gonna be welding stuff that's real thick like 1"+ then preheat would help.

Like Eddie said if your housing looks like it's got good Plug welds in it I wouldn't worry about it. The newer ones I've seen look like they were welded by a child.

My 2007 factory 44 has been holding up to 37's and a hemi for a few years now. If/when it breaks I'll be calling for a PR60.

D_engel

No special rods needed to weld cast iron to mild steel. Just preheat the cast and weld the tubes with a MIG, and preferably wrap the housing with a welding blanket to slow the cooling process. And since the seals are pressed on to the shafts on a semi float, I would just drain the fluid but leave everything else in place.

The welder in your shop could do this no problem with a little pre/post heat guidance.

jims68

If you don't have or have access to a MIG welder stick will work also. A 7018 or 8018 rod 3/16" and work side to side. More heat will be applied so you need to be careful!

utiadam

LOSER
Thanks guys! I still need to get under the jeep to get a pic of the welds. I dont think Ill have any issues anytime soon but just thought it might be a better safe than sorry thing. Still not sure if Ill go through with it though.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Well, those look a lot better than most of newer JK rear axles I have seen but, they still kind of just look like buttons sticking out of the tubes rather than a true rosette weld that fills in the hole.

utiadam

LOSER
Well, those look a lot better than most of newer JK rear axles I have seen but, they still kind of just look like buttons sticking out of the tubes rather than a true rosette weld that fills in the hole.

Would filling the hole completely be safer than welding around the tube?

Top Bottom