Upgrading Tires from Trail Grapplers to Toyo/Mud Grapplers

Vudoo1

Eddie, GCM, SM_Rubi and other Mud Grappler owners...

I've been looking at tires to upgrade. I currently run 35" Nitto Trail Grapplers but I am going up to a 40" tire so the Trail Grapplers are not an option at this time. I've recently seen a lot of people/rigs I look up to switching over from Toyo Open Country (GCM - Kevlar) Nitto Mud Grapplers.

My question is basically regarding the Toyo and Mud Grapplers. I understand that the Mud Grapplers are louder but other then that, are they a better tire then the Open County tires? Do the Mud Grapplers wear quicker and/or do they preform better then the Toyo's? My ProRocks 60s come in next week so I'm running out of time for tires.

I have a 2012 with the EVO Long Arm kit and the Double Throw Down going on. I'm sticking with 17" ATX Slabs but 8 lug. My jeep is not my daily driver but I drive it a lot.

I've never owned Toyo Open Country tires on my jeep but I love my Nitto Trail Grapplers. I'm just curious to see if you guys have a certain reason for switching over or was it more of a Nitto and JK Experience deal that you guys switched over for.

I'm upset at myself since Transamerica had a sale on the Mud Grapplers for $350 range and I didn't pull the trigger quick enough so the sale passed.

Thanks guys,
Alan

Last edited:

GCM 2

Honestly, I wanted the mud grapplers for a long time but my Goodyear MTR/K's had so few miles on them I was basically trying to wear them out or ruin them. As it so happened, the Goodyears held up to their reputation and the sidewalls went first. I had wheeled alongside EVO1 long enough to know how badass the mud grapplers were and saw all the videos of Moby and did some wheeling along side him too, to know that the Toyos were awesome. But at the time Toyos only came in 40"x20" sizes, I have 17" wheels.
So now for the mud grapplers and the JKX. I needed tires bad, the JKX is sponsored by Nitto, it only makes sense to do a deal with them for the event. I am extremely happy with the tires, most importantly is the fact that during my post-JKX clean up of my rig, it became apparent that not one ATX slab wheel had a weight on it to balance the mud grapplers. That's right, the wheels saw 5844 miles in 11 days and I never knew my wheel/tire combo was not balanced. That is incredible for a tire, let alone a 40" off road tire. They ride smoooooth! Loud, but smooth.
If you honestly don't think you can deal with tire howl/noise, go for the Toyo Open Country in their new 40"x17" size. The tires are basically made in the same plant, they have the same parent company as Nitto (don't quote me on that though, I'm not exact on the relationship). So with all that I knew about mud grapplers prior to owning and all that I know after two weeks of ownership, I think I'm going to be running Nittos for a while on my JK. By the way, I ran Terra Grapplers for years on a F350 super duty tow rig I hauled my race cars with and also on a couple of Land Rovers and those tires were awesome too.

Edit: I failed to mention another incredible aspect of the Nitto's that I learned at the start of the JKX; Nitto was also the sponsor of this years Ultimate Adventure. During that event, which is an incredible test of the entire machine entered into it, Nitto had not one tire Failure, not one! This years JKX, Nitto tires were on all but three vehicles (I think?), Nitto again had no tire failures. Imagine how far out on a limb a major tire manufacturer is going by sponsoring an event that is seriously testing equipment on every level of vehicle build and every level of experience of driver that will be using its products. That speaks a lot about the company's faith in its product.

Last edited:

Vudoo1

Honestly, I wanted the mud grapplers for a long time but my Goodyear MTR/K's had so few miles on them I was basically trying to wear them out or ruin them. As it so happened, the Goodyears held up to their reputation and the sidewalls went first. I had wheeled alongside EVO1 long enough to know how badass the mud grapplers were and saw all the videos of Moby and did some wheeling along side him too, to know that the Toyos were awesome. But at the time Toyos only came in 40"x20" sizes, I have 17" wheels.
So now for the mud grapplers and the JKX. I needed tires bad, the JKX is sponsored by Nitto, it only makes sense to do a deal with them for the event. I am extremely happy with the tires, most importantly is the fact that during my post-JKX clean up of my rig, it became apparent that not one ATX slab wheel had a weight on it to balance the mud grapplers. That's right, the wheels saw 5844 miles in 11 days and I never knew my wheel/tire combo was not balanced. That is incredible for a tire, let alone a 40" off road tire. They ride smoooooth! Loud, but smooth.
If you honestly don't think you can deal with tire howl/noise, go for the Toyo Open Country in their new 40"x17" size. The tires are basically made in the same plant, they have the same parent company as Nitto (don't quote me on that though, I'm not exact on the relationship). So with all that I knew about mud grapplers prior to owning and all that I know after two weeks of ownership, I think I'm going to be running Nittos for a while on my JK. By the way, I ran Terra Grapplers for years on a F350 super duty tow rig I hauled my race cars with and also on a couple of Land Rovers and those tires were awesome too.

Edit: I failed to mention another incredible aspect of the Nitto's that I learned at the start of the JKX; Nitto was also the sponsor of this years Ultimate Adventure. During that event, which is an incredible test of the entire machine entered into it, Nitto had not one tire Failure, not one! This years JKX, Nitto tires were on all but three vehicles (I think?), Nitto again had no tire failures. Imagine how far out on a limb a major tire manufacturer is going by sponsoring an event that is seriously testing equipment on every level of vehicle build and every level of experience of driver that will be using its products. That speaks a lot about the company's faith in its product.

Thanks man for you input.

daveroberts

Alan

I am of the same opinion as Greg and Frank. I have had both then GY Kevlar and the Toyo Open Country on Jeeps. I currently run the Toyo on my daily driver a F350 Super Duty. I would without a single doubt recommend the Nitto! I live in Colorado and we see generally rocks and hills and hills with rocks if you don't get my meaning, we have rocks! I love them on the rocks and I have recently finished the 2012 JKX with the guys responding to this thread where we saw mud like I personally have never seen before. I followed both of these rigs at one point or another and saw first hand what the tires can do. Get the Mud Grappler you will not be disappointed. Much like the other guys here Wayolife has run both brands as well. I'm curious to see his input, my guess is he would sing the praises of the Nitto as well but he will likely speak for himself.

Dave

Devallee

I am currently running Toyos on my JK daily driver and I haven't had one negative thing so say about them. I live in southern California so we don't get too much mud but when we do they perform incredibly. Also I'd like to point out that my jeep is currently 2wd (broke the front drive shaft a while back and as a broke college student, I haven't had the funds to replace it) and i have yet to get stuck in the mud. I also take weekly trips up to big bear during the winter to snowboard and can even say they perform pretty decent in snow as well. Great traction on dry or wet roads. I have not run the Nittos before so I can't say anything about that but I have nothing but good experiences with the Toyos and I'm sure the Nittos are just as good if not better. Like everyone is saying, Eddie has run both and I'm also curious to hear his input. Happy shopping!! :)

Top Bottom