Let's beat on this dead horse I found: gears

MilesNauticus

Okay. So this isn't a "What gears should I get?" or "Should I regear?" post. Anybody who's spent a little time around jeeps knows the benefits of regearing. And everyone knows it's a preference issue usually, unless you go big right out of the gate. I just want an overall sampling of what most have done. I plan on lifting soon 2.5 or 3.5, undecided, and going to 35s. Eventually I wanna regear and and add lockers. I have 3.21s in my stock 2013 Sport. Here's the questions.

1. What are you running lift/tire
2. Did you regear? From what to what?
3. If not are you happy or counting the days till you can.
4. If you waited between lift/tire and regear how long and how was it.

Not trying to start a debate just wanna see what the majority have. My 08 JKUX had 3.5 with 35s with no regear. It sucked. But it was also the 3.8. Now that I'm in the 3.6 I'm curious to see what the take is on it.

Last edited:

NV375

1. 2014 JKUR auto 4.10 W/ 2" / 35s
2. No
3. Not really happy more like tolerating for now. Not as bad as it was with the 37s.

Sent using the WAYALIFE mobile app

2013 JKUR Metalcloak arms with bolt on coilovers. 37" trail Grapplers. 5.13's. And love it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using WAYALIFE mobile app

jjsmail

2012 jkus manual
1. 2.5"/37" cooper stt
2.Yes from 3.21 to 4.88
3. Yes I'm happy with it
4. I ran 33s with lift for a year and stock 3.21s and it was not too bad but when I went to 37s the gears happened the same time.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door

1. 2011 2 door with 2.5" and 35's
2. yes from 3.73 to 5.13
4. i waited almost 6 months. was going to wait longer but decided i should before winter. added an ARB to the rear at the same time

1. 3.5-4" with 37s on a 13' JKUR, 6 spd.
2. No. not yet, but need to. The plan is 5.13s and soon
3. As eluded in (2.) Most trail riding is fine, but I have lost 6th on country roads (55-60MPH) and climbing slow over rocks it tough to do without working the clutch.
4. We lifted and did tires this spring. The only reason I haven't regeared is I am actually more concerned with my steering and am saving/researching hydro assist.

Another note: you should watch for comments from Rubi VS non-Rubi owners. (Remember there is a 4:1 TC in the Rubicons which helps buy time)

MilesNauticus

1. 3.5-4" with 37s on a 13' JKUR, 6 spd.
2. No. not yet, but need to. The plan is 5.13s and soon
3. As eluded in (2.) Most trail riding is fine, but I have lost 6th on country roads (55-60MPH) and climbing slow over rocks it tough to do without working the clutch.
4. We lifted and did tires this spring. The only reason I haven't regeared is I am actually more concerned with my steering and am saving/researching hydro assist.

Another note: you should watch for comments from Rubi VS non-Rubi owners. (Remember there is a 4:1 TC in the Rubicons which helps buy time)

Yea not only are the Rubi's geared differently but ,from my understanding, some of the none Rubis are too with some being 3.73 and some 3.21 (of course I have 3.21) Lucky me.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Okay. So this isn't a "What gears should I get?" or "Should I regear?" post. Anybody who's spent a little time around jeeps knows the benefits of regearing. And everyone knows it's a preference issue usually, unless you go big right out of the gate. I just want an overall sampling of what most have done. I plan on lifting soon 2.5 or 3.5, undecided, and going to 35s. Eventually I wanna regear and and add lockers. I have 3.21s in my stock 2013 Sport. Here's the questions.

Not trying to start a debate just wanna see what the majority have. My 08 JKUX had 3.5 with 35s with no regear. It sucked. But it was also the 3.8. Now that I'm in the 3.6 I'm curious to see what the take is on it.

First off, if you're just going to run 35's, do yourself a favor and stick with 2.5" or 3" at most. As it is, most 3" lifts will yield you closer to 4" of lift and most 3.5" lifts will yield you way more than that and that's a lot of lift for just 35's.

Regarding gears, 4.56 will get your 2013 JK running at about stock performance with 35" tires but I personally would recommend that you get 4.88's. This will give you more power and the RPM difference is very slight and not enough to make a real difference.

For me, I have run my 2012 Rubicon with 4.10 gears on stock 32" tires and 37" tires. While it worked okay, re-gearing to 5.13's made a world of difference. 4.88's would have brought me back to about stock but the extra power really helps out on hills and on the trail. If anything, I just re-geared again to 5.38's and have found that it does great on hills and in the mountains (where I live) as the transmission doesn't have to downshift to maintain speed. In the end, I am now burning a bit more gas but, not as much as I would have thought.

Mikead40

13 JKU Rubicon
1. 3.5" Metal Cloak; 35" Toyo open country (a heavy 35)
2. No. Factory 3.73
3. I am happy with it - once I recal'd the computer for the 35s. I also have an Airaid intake and dynomax exhaust - which probably help a little.
4. I've been running this lift/tire setup for a year or so

I'm sure I would like it better if regeared to 4.88, but I'm not unhappy with it the way it is now. In a week or two I will be upgrading to 37s - Gonna try it out without a regear, but I'll probably end up getting 4.88s or 5.13s. We'll see.
Good luck. :beer:

MilesNauticus

First off, if you're just going to run 35's, do yourself a favor and stick with 2.5" or 3" at most. As it is, most 3" lifts will yield you closer to 4" of lift and most 3.5" lifts will yield you way more than that and that's a lot of lift for just 35's.

Regarding gears, 4.56 will get your 2013 JK running at about stock performance with 35" tires but I personally would recommend that you get 4.88's. This will give you more power and the RPM difference is very slight and not enough to make a real difference.

For me, I have run my 2012 Rubicon with 4.10 gears on stock 32" tires and 37" tires. While it worked okay, re-gearing to 5.13's made a world of difference. 4.88's would have brought me back to about stock but the extra power really helps out on hills and on the trail. If anything, I just re-geared again to 5.38's and have found that it does great on hills and in the mountains (where I live) as the transmission doesn't have to downshift to maintain speed. In the end, I am now burning a bit more gas but, not as much as I would have thought.

Eddie,
Thanks for the info. I actually was already on the same wavelength as you there. I'm thinking when I do go to re-gear 4.88's will be the way I go over the 5.13's because as much as I like the idea of eventually going to 37's it probably won't happen. And if it does it will be so far down the road that if I need to re-gear again then so be it. Not to mention the D30's won't fit 5.13s.
The 2.5 is what I'm leaning more towards, maybe upgrading the track bar to the Teraflex monster. I'm leaning more towards the AEV vs the Teraflex strictly because 95% of my driving time is on road and even that is limited because I don't drive my jeep to and from work. My job supplies the car for that. Don't get me wrong the jeep will definitely be off road but not anything seriously heavy. So ride quality is important. Ive been scouring the forum though over the Tera vs. AEV 2.5 debate. Still haven't made my mind up. Read a good point last night, buy the Teraflex kit with shocks and could just about afford the Monster Track bar with the money saved over buying the AEV. Will probably do the geo brackets before the track bar though. I know I lose a little clearance, but again I don't think I'm doing anything serious enough for it to matter.
Sorry that ended up going way off topic but my heads about to explode trying to figure all this out so I needed to get that off my chest.
Thanks for listening ;)

13 JKU Rubicon
1. 3.5" Metal Cloak; 35" Toyo open country (a heavy 35)
2. No. Factory 3.73
3. I am happy with it - once I recal'd the computer for the 35s. I also have an Airaid intake and dynomax exhaust - which probably help a little.
4. I've been running this lift/tire setup for a year or so

I'm sure I would like it better if regeared to 4.88, but I'm not unhappy with it the way it is now. In a week or two I will be upgrading to 37s - Gonna try it out without a regear, but I'll probably end up getting 4.88s or 5.13s. We'll see.
Good luck. :beer:

Correct me if I'm wrong but you're already in the 4.10s in a D44 at stock correct? I wish I would have just sucked it up and found me a Rubi, but I got such a good deal on this Sport with my trade in I couldn't walk away from it. Glad you're happy with your setup though, nothing worse than dumping a bunch of money and wishing you would have went a different way. Ran into that with my first YJ.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Being that's the case, I might recommend that you give the Rancho kit a look. It's a great kit, made in the USA and will cost a lot less than the AEV kit.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Being that's the case, I might recommend that you give the Rancho kit a look. It's a great kit, made in the USA and will cost a lot less than the AEV kit.

dont forget it will not ride as rough or break like the teraflex stuff :grayno::crazyeyes::rolleyes2:

MilesNauticus

:banghead::banghead::banghead:
More choices....I'll definitely check it out, I don't wanna rush it. I want to make sure I'm happy with what I'm getting but I'm just ready to get it. Gracias.

Edit: I see they offer 2" or 3". I am assuming you would suggest the 3"?

dont forget it will not ride as rough or break like the teraflex stuff :grayno::crazyeyes::rolleyes2:

Coz, I notice in your signature you're running the Teraflex. Have you had issues with it failing you?

Last edited:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
More choices....I'll definitely check it out, I don't wanna rush it. I want to make sure I'm happy with what I'm getting but I'm just ready to get it. Gracias.

Coz, I notice in your signature you're running the Teraflex. Have you had issues with it failing you?

no i havent but i am only usuing their really stiff coils and rear trackbar relocation bracket. you can find the issues people have had with teraflex stuff in the links below
http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?...acket-Break&highlight=teraflex+trackbar+break
http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?...Carrier-Break&highlight=teraflex+tire+carrier
http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?5169-TeraFlex-Front-Track-Bar-Breaks

MilesNauticus

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

:cheesy: You said it, not me :crazyeyes: :D

Well, to be completely fair, you'll probably be happy with just about anything you get being that you don't really have a point of reference to compare it to anything else. I'm just trying to save you some money and share some of my personal perspective on things. Of course, they are just my opinions and you can take them for what it's worth. :yup:

I've run a lot of their products in the past and can tell you that their coils are really stiff - about the harshest riding out there but of course, ride quality is 100% subjective. Their control arm bushings blow all the time, their front track bars have been known to break and their long arm brackets and tire carrier are known to break as well.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

MilesNauticus

Well this thread turned huh...but it's all good. Thats some good info I have been searching for anyway so I really appreciate the help.

Mikead40

Eddie,
Thanks for the info. I actually was already on the same wavelength as you there. I'm thinking when I do go to re-gear 4.88's will be the way I go over the 5.13's because as much as I like the idea of eventually going to 37's it probably won't happen. And if it does it will be so far down the road that if I need to re-gear again then so be it. Not to mention the D30's won't fit 5.13s.
The 2.5 is what I'm leaning more towards, maybe upgrading the track bar to the Teraflex monster. I'm leaning more towards the AEV vs the Teraflex strictly because 95% of my driving time is on road and even that is limited because I don't drive my jeep to and from work. My job supplies the car for that. Don't get me wrong the jeep will definitely be off road but not anything seriously heavy. So ride quality is important. Ive been scouring the forum though over the Tera vs. AEV 2.5 debate. Still haven't made my mind up. Read a good point last night, buy the Teraflex kit with shocks and could just about afford the Monster Track bar with the money saved over buying the AEV. Will probably do the geo brackets before the track bar though. I know I lose a little clearance, but again I don't think I'm doing anything serious enough for it to matter.
Sorry that ended up going way off topic but my heads about to explode trying to figure all this out so I needed to get that off my chest.
Thanks for listening ;)

Correct me if I'm wrong but you're already in the 4.10s in a D44 at stock correct? I wish I would have just sucked it up and found me a Rubi, but I got such a good deal on this Sport with my trade in I couldn't walk away from it. Glad you're happy with your setup though, nothing worse than dumping a bunch of money and wishing you would have went a different way. Ran into that with my first YJ.

Funny you mention that - I actually thought I had 4.10 gearing when I got it. I wasn't paying that much attention and had almost no idea what I was doing when I bought it (i.e. I didn't know the difference between 4.10 & 3.73). Long story short, most '13 JK rubicons have 4.10s...some have 3.73...has something to do with whether or not you get the towing package. I called Jeep, read them my VIN, and they confirmed that I have 3.73:doh:

MilesNauticus

Funny you mention that - I actually thought I had 4.10 gearing when I got it. I wasn't paying that much attention and had almost no idea what I was doing when I bought it (i.e. I didn't know the difference between 4.10 & 3.73). Long story short, most '13 JK rubicons have 4.10s...some have 3.73...has something to do with whether or not you get the towing package. I called Jeep, read them my VIN, and they confirmed that I have 3.73:doh:

DOH....oh well. Still better than 3.21

Top Bottom