Another CB question

JayKay

Caught the Bug
I just got done installing a 4' Firestik Firefly. I already had 18' coax ran and CB installed. I acquired two free antennas which both ended up being bad so I pitched them. I went without an antenna for a month (so I didn't use my CB for a month). During that month I installed an amp and a factory sub enclosure. The amp is under the passenger seat and the sub is in the factory location. Coax is ran through the passenger roll bar padding and across the top of the windshield to the CB above the rearview mirror.

After getting the antenna installed on the spare tire carrier I get radio interference in the CB. If I unhook the coax from the back of the CB, the interference goes away. The thing that has me confused is that the only place any of the new audio wiring is close to the coax is where it comes out of the tailgate and into the sub enclosure trim panel. I unhooked the subwoofer leads at the amp and the interference is still present.

The coax I have is used also. Should I get new coax with high shielding?

Rccrwlr

I just got done installing a 4' Firestik Firefly. I already had 18' coax ran and CB installed. I acquired two free antennas which both ended up being bad so I pitched them. I went without an antenna for a month (so I didn't use my CB for a month). During that month I installed an amp and a factory sub enclosure. The amp is under the passenger seat and the sub is in the factory location. Coax is ran through the passenger roll bar padding and across the top of the windshield to the CB above the rearview mirror.

After getting the antenna installed on the spare tire carrier I get radio interference in the CB. If I unhook the coax from the back of the CB, the interference goes away. The thing that has me confused is that the only place any of the new audio wiring is close to the coax is where it comes out of the tailgate and into the sub enclosure trim panel. I unhooked the subwoofer leads at the amp and the interference is still present.

The coax I have is used also. Should I get new coax with high shielding?

Grounding. Check your grounds on the cb, amp everything

--rccrwlr
".....and that's it baby!"

t8er

I routed mine on the same side in my JKUR. No interference at all from the speaker there. First step is check your ground then look at the coax cable.

JayKay

Caught the Bug
Grounding. Check your grounds on the cb, amp everything

--rccrwlr
".....and that's it baby!"

I forgot to mention that there was no static or interference before the amp install when using a Wilson antenna my dad borrowed to me. The CB is grounded to a factory ground beside the dash. I read about running a second ground from the body of the cb to a chassis ground. Is this what you're referring too? I could be wrong, but I don't see it being a power/ground issue since the interference goes away when the coax is unhooked from the back of the CB

Rccrwlr

I forgot to mention that there was no static or interference before the amp install when using a Wilson antenna my dad borrowed to me. The CB is grounded to a factory ground beside the dash. I read about running a second ground from the body of the cb to a chassis ground. Is this what you're referring too? I could be wrong, but I don't see it being a power/ground issue since the interference goes away when the coax is unhooked from the back of the CB

Is there extra coax cable? Did u coil it up nice? Maybe the prob. Need to make a mess of things so you don't create a coil

--rccrwlr. ".....and that's it baby!"

JayKay

Caught the Bug
Is there extra coax cable? Did u coil it up nice? Maybe the prob. Need to make a mess of things so you don't create a coil

--rccrwlr. ".....and that's it baby!"

No extra coax, the only place it coils is at the tailgate, but even with the gate open, still get noise. :idontknow:

sean.m.adams33

I know, I know, this guy should just give up on cb installations all together, but hear me out this time....
I got this firestick coax cable,
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1406956517.679004.jpg
(Poor quality pic from google search)

I honestly have no idea how to install the end that goes into the back of the cb.
Please someone, help me. I hate CB's!!

Looney Tune

The PL 239 connector screws into the back of the radio. ..pretty self explanatory. ..unless you have some funky coax...after all you did say it was (fire stick)...lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using WAYALIFE mobile app

It says to make sure to solder it. Where?! Also it doesn't seem to screw on to my cb! I think I may have the end backwards but it seems like it only goes one way.

It really can only go one way.. Thread the connector onto the cable, the big outer knurled knob should spin freely the insert the pointy end into the CB you have to push it in a bit to get the threads to engage then thread the free spinning section into the back of the CB.

I have the same cable and no need to solder.

Maybe take a picture of your cable / connector / back of CB

sean.m.adams33

It really can only go one way.. Thread the connector onto the cable, the big outer knurled knob should spin freely the insert the pointy end into the CB you have to push it in a bit to get the threads to engage then thread the free spinning section into the back of the CB.

I have the same cable and no need to solder.

Maybe take a picture of your cable / connector / back of CB

I will definitely take some later today when I finish the install. It thread PM's but only a thread and a half at most, I think it might even be more like half a thread!

sean.m.adams33

Well that does like the soldier type. Mine has a closed end that just went right in. It would appear they gave you a solder connector for and a pre built cable.

Did the coax have a small threaded end to screw into the pictured connector?

Nope. Nothing like that

sean.m.adams33

Yup. I definitely have the wrong one. Thanks guys for your help. I will pick up a new one. Looks like the CB will continue to be the bane of my existence.😩

RJEEPO

you almost there, just need the right connector check check!

as I recall the only part that gets soldered is the very tip to secure the inner conductor to the tip of the connector?

Top Bottom