E85 gasoline

bran996

Has anyone tried using E85 to fill up your jeep. Curious because I know a gas station that carries it and it's only $3.29
I have a buddy who uses it in his porsche but he has a tune for it.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using WAYALIFE mobile app

aplittle

I haven't used E85. I would think that your gas milage would suffer from the loss of BTUs with the increased ethanol. Not sure how $3.29 compares to the price of Regular in your area, but it may not off set the drop in milage. Just my .02 based on what I know about ethanol.

Sent from my SM-G900V using WAYALIFE mobile app

SmokinV10

Caught the Bug
A lot of hotrodders have been doing E85 conversions in the quest of more horsepower on their EFI engines. E85 has an higher effective octane rating and is excellent for fighting detonation/precombustion on forced induction applications. My buddy just replumbed and retuned his viper to gain an extra 60 whp on his supercharged viper by using E85. This may require an upgrade on fuel system components so that the corrosive effects of e85 is not experienced.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
even with the horse power gains you may see from E85 i would say its not worth it. if you do a full conversion to accomodate it your going to be limited (i believe) to just the e85. if your out on the trails and you need gas you could be screwed. if im wrong on this please tell me as it is what i have heard elsewere.

highoctane

Caught the Bug
E85 on average nets you about 30% reduction in economy, because of the reduced amount of combustable energy in E85 compared to an equal part of 87/89 octane. The price would have to be 30% cheaper than regular gas to break even on the cost. So it'd have to be even cheaper to actually save money by running E85. I ran E85 in my '13 3.6 Grand Cherokee Trail Hawk when I drove across country from PA to AZ. I got 12 to 14mpg towing a small uhaul trailer at 65-70 mph, burned 3 tanks of it back to back. After that I went back to regular 87 and haven't run e85 since.

seanb123

E85 has been around for a good while now and the fact that it really hasn't caught on says something

RockyJk

It's probably not worth it, I believe you got to convert all fuel lines to stainless steel(?) because of the corrosiveness of E85 and I think there's only like 4 gas stations that actually have E85 in California

bran996

I know about helping with extra power from tunes. But wasn't sure about the mpg gain or loss. I was a little curious.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using WAYALIFE mobile app

SmokinV10

Caught the Bug
Guys doing it for power gains aren't doing it with fuel economy in mind. The amount you could gain from a normally aspirated engine would be marginal at best. For context , I would never rationalize using E85 on an offroad bound jeep. Those looking for these gains are big horsepower forced induction engines trying to squeeze out an extra bit of power for that next tenth of a second on the 1/4. None of those guys care about being stuck on the trail or what their mpg is.

2k13jk

E85 is a cheap race fuel thats about it if it sits to long it will turn to water then your screwed also E85 isnt always E85 in the winter time it can be as low as E55 or E60 it is not worth running unless you can get pure E85 from a good gas station like shell or exxon which they only have in the summer months and for a naturally aspirated motor your just wasting money

Sharkey

Word Ninja
E85 is just the result of BS subsidies. Our 2006 Yukon XL can run E85. It was GMC's attempt at making it seem more eco-friendly.:cheesy:

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug
The only reason most manufacturers converted to E85 capable is because they govt provides flex fuel credits for Green house gas to manufacturers based on the number of vehicles sold that are E85 compliant. The credits expire in a couple years and I bet E85 dies then too except for niche markets like the Midwest where it is really cheap.

Top Bottom