Installing a new tie rod and drag link. What else should I check while I'm in t

MeatHead

So I have been getting this strange steering wheel chatter at about 50-55 mph ever since I got new tires. Went to get a wheel alignment and was told I needed new tie rod ends and that the alignment could be done after. So I'm getting ready to upgrade to a new synergy tie rod and drag link. Also I get the traction control trouble light coming on almost everyday on my daily drive. I park for the night the next day it's gone but comes back on the next day. I checked the trouble codes for wheel speed sensors... Nothing. What else should I check while I'm doing this project? Any ideas or advice is welcome!

MeatHead

They didn't say it wasn't when I took it in for the alignment. But as far as I can tell it's straight. I also get a pull to either left or right when braking for a stop light on uneven pavement. The shop said that's from play in the tie rod ends.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So I have been getting this strange steering wheel chatter at about 50-55 mph ever since I got new tires. Went to get a wheel alignment and was told I needed new tie rod ends and that the alignment could be done after. So I'm getting ready to upgrade to a new synergy tie rod and drag link. Also I get the traction control trouble light coming on almost everyday on my daily drive. I park for the night the next day it's gone but comes back on the next day. I checked the trouble codes for wheel speed sensors... Nothing. What else should I check while I'm doing this project? Any ideas or advice is welcome!

If it's speed related, you most likely are feeling your new bigger lugs thumping OR, have tires that are out of balance. Yes, I realize that you just had them installed but, bigger off road tires can require multiple balancings to get it right. A wheel alignment that is off will NOT cause this sensation. Please save your money, have your tires rebalanced and if you are having issues with your ESP going off, make sure your steering wheel is centered. Here is a write-up I did that will help you out:

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?3861-Basic-Do-it-Yourself-Jeep-JK-Wrangler-Front-End-Alignment

Aside from that, the only thing an alignment shop will do is take your money.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
They didn't say it wasn't when I took it in for the alignment. But as far as I can tell it's straight. I also get a pull to either left or right when braking for a stop light on uneven pavement. The shop said that's from play in the tie rod ends.

Have you actually taken the time to check your tie-rod ends for yourself? All you need to do is grab it by your hands and try to see if there is any shifting movement up and down or side to side. Rotational movement is totally normal and does not mean they are bad. Sounds to me like your shop is just trying to get you to spend more money.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
Well meat head, that may be the case. I've had my light pop on because my steering wheel was off a bit. Good luck finding and fixing the problem. I would just hate for you to spend $500 bucks on parts just to find out it wasn't the actual problem.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Well meat head, that may be the case. I've had my light pop on because my steering wheel was off a bit. Good luck finding and fixing the problem. I would just hate for you to spend $500 bucks on parts just to find out it wasn't the actual problem.

Yup, doesn't take much to be off. Add in a slight long curve or on ramp and your computer will think you are in a slide.

MeatHead

Have you actually taken the time to check your tie-rod ends for yourself? All you need to do is grab it by your hands and try to see if there is any shifting movement up and down or side to side. Rotational movement is totally normal and does not mean they are bad. Sounds to me like your shop is just trying to get you to spend more money.

I had the tires balanced and the problem wasn't as bad but still there. I have inspected the tie rod and drag link but not with the front end up off the ground. Gonna get her up on jack stands the as soon as I can and it's not raining. I don't have a covered garage here in south Florida. I will also check the steering wheel when I get home tonight. Thanks!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I had the tires balanced and the problem wasn't as bad but still there. I have inspected the tie rod and drag link but not with the front end up off the ground. Gonna get her up on jack stands the as soon as I can and it's not raining. I don't have a covered garage here in south Florida. I will also check the steering wheel when I get home tonight. Thanks!

You shouldn't need to get your front tires off the ground to check your tie-rod and drag link. If you can't get them to move around while on the ground, they are in great shape. As far as your tires go, what are you running? Depending on the tire, I've literally had to have my tires balanced 3-4 times before they were good enough for my taste. A shop with a road force balancer will do a much better job. Some tires like Goodyear MT/R's just suck and you may never be able to get them on just right. Either way, your alignment will have no bearing on any of this - just with your ESP/BAS going off.

MeatHead

Yup, doesn't take much to be off. Add in a slight long curve or on ramp and your computer will think you are in a slide.

The on ramp was the first place it happened to me. The abs started firing off. Scared the shit out of me. I have heard horror stories of brake lockup's due to this.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
If you have a aev procal, they have a feature to help center the wheel. But follow the directions. I failed to follow the directions and my front turn signals stayed on and took me awhile to figure it out.

MeatHead

You shouldn't need to get your front tires off the ground to check your tie-rod and drag link. If you can't get them to move around while on the ground, they are in great shape. As far as your tires go, what are you running? Depending on the tire, I've literally had to have my tires balanced 3-4 times before they were good enough for my taste. A shop with a road force balancer will do a much better job. Some tires like Goodyear MT/R's just suck and you may never be able to get them on just right. Either way, your alignment will have no bearing on any of this - just with your ESP/BAS going off.

I'm running the mudterrain's 35's. Not even a year old, rotated and balanced twice as I don't drive a lot and work a ton lately. Noticed the driver side front tire is getting chopped up and no issues with the passenger side.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I'm running the mudterrain's 35's. Not even a year old, rotated and balanced twice as I don't drive a lot and work a ton lately. Noticed the driver side front tire is getting chopped up and no issues with the passenger side.

Chopped up as in chunking/loosing lugs? OR, chopped up as in the inner lugs are looking scalloped?

MeatHead

If you have a aev procal, they have a feature to help center the wheel. But follow the directions. I failed to follow the directions and my front turn signals stayed on and took me awhile to figure it out.

I do actually! It's an older one but I have the manual and believe it works for this. I check. Thanks for reminding me.

MeatHead

Chopped up as in chunking/loosing lugs? OR, chopped up as in the inner lugs are looking scalloped?

The middle lugs are wearing at an angle from corner to opposite corner. It seemed strange to me. That's when I had the shop take a look at the front end.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
30-35 psi. I check them every other week when filling the gas tank.

How wide are your wheels? If your middle lugs are the only ones being effected, it sounds like you are running too much air for one and, if they are getting scalloped, you may have a shock that isn't dampening as well as it used to. Or, you could have a ball joint going bad. Either way, the fact that they are wearing poorly will result in a lug thump especially if you just rotated them.

MeatHead

How wide are your wheels? If your middle lugs are the only ones being effected, it sounds like you are running too much air for one and, if they are getting scalloped, you may have a shock that isn't dampening as well as it used to. Or, you could have a ball joint going bad. Either way, the fact that they are wearing poorly will result in a lug thump especially if you just rotated them.

They are the AEV 17 pinters.

Top Bottom