Is the front brake dust shield really needed?

I'm in the middle of replacing my front shafts and I have damaged the brake shield prying the bearing out.

Is anyone running without the front shields? If so, have you noticed any issue stopping in rain?

I think the shield is supposed to keep direct water from the rotor.

I'm just trying to gauge if I need to get a new one.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
eh, may not be "necessary" but, it's pretty thin metal and I would think you could kind of straighten it out.

eh, may not be "necessary" but, it's pretty thin metal and I would think you could kind of straighten it out.

Unfortunately I didn't just bend it. The scraper I knocked in at the ears to get it to separate grabbed the metal and caused it to crack and pull. Now two of the three bolt holes are blocked. If I trim that portion away there will not be much holding it on.

Big oops on my part.

JayKay

Caught the Bug
As Eddie mentioned...not 'necessary', but I'd replace them. They do keep small rocks and other debris out of your caliper and causing potential damage to your rotor and/or pads.

gtony12

Caught the Bug
You might look at fabbing up your own with some sheet metal. Just a thought

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

David1tontj

I'm in the middle of replacing my front shafts and I have damaged the brake shield prying the bearing out.

Is anyone running without the front shields? If so, have you noticed any issue stopping in rain?

I think the shield is supposed to keep direct water from the rotor.

I'm just trying to gauge if I need to get a new one.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Some of my friends run without them. We live in oregon and see plenty of rain- with no noticeable disadvantages.

They removed theirs because they claim that they have gotten rocks stuck in between them and the rotor, and also that they catch mud.

One main thing to note, at least on the dana 60 and Toyota axles that they have done them on- that shield is a required spacer. Without it, it will rub slightly, so if you do decide to remove it, at least in those vehicles, just cut it and keep the spacer part.

My ride- 2001 power wheel, 11" plastic tires, upgraded battery, boat sides, custom bumpers, tow hooks, new paint.

CerOf

They removed theirs because they claim that they have gotten rocks stuck in between them and the rotor, and also that they catch mud.

I've caught a small rock in mine. Made a gosh awful screeching sounding, like a sickly/angry brake squealer.

Sent from a a few tin cans and some string.

Buster3479

I've removed mine. They seemed to catch and hold more small rocks and hardened mud than they kept out. Also I was plagued by wheel speed sensor failures for a while, and the only way to change the sensor with the brake shield on is to pull the axle. I got tired of doing it, and took the shields off until I ironed it out. A sensor change without the shield was a 5 min job. Of course, I haven't had a bad sensor for many months once I figured out what the issue was.... and failed to put the shields back on out of pure forgetfulness. I'm not advocating taking them off. I don't run them, and haven't seen any loss of performance, rain, snow, dry, or other without them yet. I'm specifically talking about the fronts, my rears are still on, and I think harder to remove.

Thanks all, I was able to repair the shield enough that I think it will work. If I take it apart again though they are likely not going on.

I gotta' say, it is awesome to have all this experience at my fingertips. Thanks for the help.

Jay

Buster3479

Thanks all, I was able to repair the shield enough that I think it will work. If I take it apart again though they are likely not going on.

I gotta' say, it is awesome to have all this experience at my fingertips. Thanks for the help.

Jay

When I was still putting mine back on, I would chuck it between the jaws of my bench vise to straighten it if it got exceptionally bent up. You can "press it" back straight in a pinch that way.

NAUJK

Well, for whatever it's worth, I don't have any shield on my ProRock 60...

I know this is kind of an ancient thread here but I was curious about the tone ring and the sensors. Since there is no guard there they arent harmed by mud or anything? I mean I hate mud but sometimes it is inevitable. I know you wheel the shit outa your jeeps sometimes Eddie Ive seen both in action in person so if youre not worried about it then it should be fine huh?

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
I know this is kind of an ancient thread here but I was curious about the tone ring and the sensors. Since there is no guard there they arent harmed by mud or anything? I mean I hate mud but sometimes it is inevitable. I know you wheel the shit outa your jeeps sometimes Eddie Ive seen both in action in person so if youre not worried about it then it should be fine huh?

The tone wheel and sensor create a square wave signal through magnetic induction so mud and dirt won't affect them unless there is a lot of iron or metal in it. Usually the only time you have a problem with a tone wheel is if it cracks.

Top Bottom