Daystar tire bump stops.

KingCopperhead

Quick and probably stupid question:

Installed my daystar tire bump stops today, and noticed that the hard plastic "screw" end that goes into the tailgate will not go in all the way. I attempted to "nudge" it in by applying some pressure with a flat head screwdriver with the end wrapped in a towel but was afraid that I'd bend the thin sheet metal if I applied too much force.

The first two rings of the screw are in securely, but the bump stop does not sit up tightly against the tailgate. It's not going anywhere it seems, but I'd like to get it in there all the way.

Any advice?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I have seen 2 different versions of their spare tire isolator and the first was really nice - like the factory rubber but the 2nd was a joke, made of foam and broke easily. It sounds to me like you might have something different. Got any pics of it? Otherwise, I would say that you'd want the screw installed all the way to the point where the base of the isolator sits flush with your tailgate.

Take a new blade and trim one side on the edges of the hard plastic. I had to do this to get them to start. Once started, keep twisting till they bottom out.

KingCopperhead

I'll try the blade method tomorrow once it's light out and see if it works. I'll also post up some pics of them for future reference.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I had the same issue. You just need to take a flat head screwdriver to get the thread started and then screw it in. I've done it on a few jeeps now and it has been the same on all of them.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I had the same issue. You just need to take a flat head screwdriver to get the thread started and then screw it in. I've done it on a few jeeps now and it has been the same on all of them.

Man, it's been too long for me I guess. I'm gonna have to find me a set of these new isolators and give them a closer look.

TheStick

Had the same problem. Once I get the spare positioned right everything sucks up nice and tight, so I have just lived with it.

KingCopperhead

Here's some pics.

Went out to try and reposition them and get them installed properly. Ripped one in half in the process.

Attachments

• 1407255053508.jpg
    1407255053508.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 231
Last edited:

KingCopperhead

Quick Update.

I spoke with Northridge 4x4 (where I purchased these)

And they are trying to get me taken care of by Daystar. Just wanted to say how impressed I am by the Northridge team, for going to bat for me when it's really not even their problem to handle. Very very cool.

*update*

20 minutes later..... Daystar is sending me a new bump stop to replace the torn one. Hassle free. I am very impressed.

Last edited:

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Honestly it probably wasn't even worth the hassle of getting it replaced. It'll still do it's job ripped. I've ripped a few of them without issues. Just keep it as a spare because they will dry out and become basically useless within a year if they see enough sun time.

KingCopperhead

Honestly it probably wasn't even worth the hassle of getting it replaced. It'll still do it's job ripped. I've ripped a few of them without issues. Just keep it as a spare because they will dry out and become basically useless within a year if they see enough sun time.

Agreed, and had it been a hassle, I wouldn't have even followed through. A two minute phone call and a couple follow up emails was worth my time. Within a year I'll have a new tire carrier anyway :)

sarabooasu

I purchased the Daystar bump stops too. As soon as I went to install, the thing ripped in half. Apparently, I got the useless foam version. Instead of ordering another set, I just ripped one of the disc sections off and shoved it between the tire and the factory bump stop. Not pretty, but I guess it serves its purpose for now.

20141024_180708.jpg

20141024_180704.jpg

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I purchased the Daystar bump stops too. As soon as I went to install, the thing ripped in half. Apparently, I got the useless foam version. Instead of ordering another set, I just ripped one of the disc sections off and shoved it between the tire and the factory bump stop. Not pretty, but I guess it serves its purpose for now.

View attachment 107119

View attachment 107120

lol as jerry rigged as it is it works! your tire is now nice and snug agaisnt the bumpstop(s) which is what you want :yup:

I guess they did change those things. I still have the first ones. Even with the nubs broken I still have them shoved In between the tire and gate.

thardy

Banned

View attachment 107119

View attachment 107120

When I tried to install mine, I ended up tearing both of them. Mine currently looks exactly like this, with more foam to spare should one of these fall or I lose it.

sarabooasu

When I tried to install mine, I ended up tearing both of them. Mine currently looks exactly like this, with more foam to spare should one of these fall or I lose it.

Glad I am not the only one with this set up. lol I have heard of others who used hockey pucks to make up the difference.

Tree Frog

After I shoved and twisted and shoved some more that thing was just not going to screw in. I took a small flat head driver and applied force to the small lip of the plastic piece as I was twisting it into the gate. It did take a few tries but it went right in. Nice and snug now. Patience Grasshopper -- patience.

My take is that the threaded portion of the plastic core is just not hard enough and may be slightly too large for the hole in the gate. It really wants to strip out and just stop turning in.

Clark Collins

Alternative tire bump stop solution

I read this thread after installing 35" tires on my JK and was thinking about getting the Daystar tire isolator. With the problems noted I came up with what I think is a better solution. I got two 1 5/8 x 1 5/16 x 1" #5 rubber stopper from Lowes for $1.99 ea. They fit just right into the stock bump stop to stabilize the larger spare tire. DSCF1840 (800x450).jpg DSCF1836 (800x450).jpg

pop2tu

I read this thread after installing 35" tires on my JK and was thinking about getting the Daystar tire isolator. With the problems noted I came up with what I think is a better solution. I got two 1 5/8 x 1 5/16 x 1" #5 rubber stopper from Lowes for $1.99 ea. They fit just right into the stock bump stop to stabilize the larger spare tire. View attachment 107273 View attachment 107274

I just bought my JKU with 35s and ran across this post as I was concerned that my spare wasn't isolated. Was trying to see what people's thoughts were for they day star bumpstop. I guess how did this do with longevity? Looks like it should work the same

jeeeep

Hooked
Both daystars tore apart but they tore too short to use so i ended up trashing them.
rubber stoppers worked great for less money, i had them on for about 3 yrs before i replaced my tire carrier for the 37s and they were still fine.
i used some gorilla glue to keep them from falling out when removing the spare

Top Bottom