PSC Diff Cover Question

CrazyLarry

Just got these delivered last night going to thrown them on tonight just wasnt sure about diff fluid capacity. These things look like they can hold more fluid than the stock covers so a little uneasy about putting the stock amount of fluid in there. Can anyone who runs these on their Rub give me an idea how much fluid you put in front and rear. Thanks

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
First off, just because the fill hole is higher does NOT mean you should fill it to that point. Second, in spite of how it looks, the amount of fluid it can hold is about the same as stock and if there is a difference, it will be insignificant. Either way, you just want to fill your diff with the same amount as stock or to the point where the fluid reaches the base of your axle tubes. If needed, make a dip stick out of a zip tie and use it to gauge how much you've added.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Just got these delivered last night going to thrown them on tonight just wasnt sure about diff fluid capacity. These things look like they can hold more fluid than the stock covers so a little uneasy about putting the stock amount of fluid in there. Can anyone who runs these on their Rub give me an idea how much fluid you put in front and rear. Thanks

here you go. eddies write up has the fluid compacities for the front and rear diffs.
http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?...K-Wrangler-Differential-Fluid-Change-Write-Up

CrazyLarry

First off, just because the fill hole is higher does NOT mean you should fill it to that point. Second, in spite of how it looks, the amount of fluid it can hold is about the same as stock and if there is a difference, it will be insignificant. Either way, you just want to fill your diff with the same amount as stock or to the point where the fluid reaches the base of your axle tubes. If needed, make a dip stick out of a zip tie and use it to gauge how much you've added.

Thanks for the info but I was referring to the sheer size of the cover not where the fill hole is located. I realize the fluid needs to come up to the bottom of the axle seals. These covers just look like they can hold more volume. I was thinking that if I put the stock amount of fluid in it may not come up to the bottom of the axle seal. Thats why I was asking guys running this particular cover and if they had any problems running the stock capacity. Awesome writeup btw thanks again

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the info but I was referring to the sheer size of the cover not where the fill hole is located. I realize the fluid needs to come up to the bottom of the axle seals. These covers just look like they can hold more volume. I was thinking that if I put the stock amount of fluid in it may not come up to the bottom of the axle seal. Thats why I was asking guys running this particular cover and if they had any problems running the stock capacity. Awesome writeup btw thanks again

I've installed and run a myriad of aftermarket diff covers and can tell you that NONE of them have been much bigger than stock and certainly not enough to make a difference. Don't believe me? Just fill up your diff with the required amount as stated by the FSM and then take a dip stick reading. I think you will find that you the required amount will still get you to the point you need or very close to it.

CrazyLarry

I've installed and run a myriad of aftermarket diff covers and can tell you that NONE of them have been much bigger than stock and certainly not enough to make a difference. Don't believe me? Just fill up your diff with the required amount as stated by the FSM and then take a dip stick reading. I think you will find that you the required amount will still get you to the point you need or very close to it.

Thank you for the reassurance im just a little nervous trying to protect those shiny new gears :D:beer:

JKFlyer

Agreed w Eddie. I have psc covers front and rear...do the zip tie dipstick test to be sure

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom