lift

GNOSIS

Ok so I'm going to lift my Sport Unlimited 4 dr. I've narrowed it down to Rancho trail 3.5" or Rubicon Express, what I need to know is as far as ease of installing which should I do? My first time doing this.Please advise?

SDG

Caught the Bug
I would assume install would be pretty straight forward on both. I have heard good things about the rancho kit.

Rubicon express, I dunno about that one.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Ok so I'm going to lift my Sport Unlimited 4 dr. I've narrowed it down to Rancho trail 3.5" or Rubicon Express, what I need to know is as far as ease of installing which should I do? My first time doing this.Please advise?

they will be fairly straight forward. of the two i would pick the rancho kit. as for actually installing here is a write up Wayalife did on a teraflex lift. the rancho install will be very similar so you can skim thru this one to get an idea of whats ahead.
http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write...rangler-4-flex-arm-lift-installation-write-up

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I'm pretty sure Rancho only makes a 3" and a 4" Trail system and not a 3.5". Which one were you hoping to get? The 3" trail system comes with adjustable front and rear upper arms and the 4" only comes with fixed lowers.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Mikead40

I had a Rubicon express 2.5" lift for a short while. Go with Rancho.

dcbjk

Caught the Bug
Okay so I've been listening in on this topic and I'm starting wonder myself should I go with Rubicon Express or Rock Krawler I'm wanting to do 3.5 inches of lift

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Okay so I've been listening in on this topic and I'm starting wonder myself should I go with Rubicon Express or Rock Krawler I'm wanting to do 3.5 inches of lift

How big of a tire are you hoping to run? Any reason in particular as to why you'd want to run those kits?

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
Some of these kits you mentioned actually give more that exactly 3.5".. just so you know.

dcbjk

Caught the Bug
How big of a tire are you hoping to run? Any reason in particular as to why you'd want to run those kits?

The reason is that I plan to start out with 35's and if I get into it alittle more I would upgrade to 37's and from the way I can see it there 3.5 inch lifts allow either size with flat fenders and I guess I like the option to go both ways

dcbjk

Caught the Bug
Some of these kits you mentioned actually give more that exactly 3.5".. just so you know.

Yea reading up on them they say for 2 door JK's your looking at 4.5" rise on the front and 3.5" rise on the rear with a 3.5" kit

JAGS

Hooked
The reason is that I plan to start out with 35's and if I get into it alittle more I would upgrade to 37's and from the way I can see it there 3.5 inch lifts allow either size with flat fenders and I guess I like the option to go both ways

I think WOL might have been referring more to the why Rubicon Express or Rock Krawler? :thinking:

The question which begs me to ask is what type of driving will you mainly be doing? I ask because my JKU is a DD and wanted something that will perform well on the road as off-road. I have the EVO 3 inch plush ride coils paired with Rancho RS9000XL adjustable shocks and love it. I gained exactly 3 inches of lift with the EVO Coils. I am currently running Nitto Trail Grapplers 35x12.5x17 and have zero issues with rubbing at full stuff. I know you did not mention EVO Plush ride but wanted to give my opinion. I have had the Pro-Comp 2.5 inch lift and well let's just say it was money I should not have spent. If you have the opportunity seek out other JK owners in your area that various lifts installed and see which one you like the best. It is worth waiting and getting exactly what you want than settling. Ask me how I know? Trust me and I did not stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Oh one last tidbit of advice, ride is very subjective. What one likes someone else may not.

R/
Will

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Yea reading up on them they say for 2 door JK's your looking at 4.5" rise on the front and 3.5" rise on the rear with a 3.5" kit

if you have a 2 door look at the 3" enforcer lift. Hinrich has it and yeilds about 3.5". he runs 37's w/ flat fenders as well.

dcbjk

Caught the Bug
I think WOL might have been referring more to the why Rubicon Express or Rock Krawler? :thinking:

Well to be honest I'm just trying to learn about these kits so that when I get my Jeep I'll feel better about what I get because in my train of thought I always like to do it right the first time and not have to turn around and change it. Y'all have run these kits at some point and time know better than I do how they perform and which is the better bang for the buck and I'm just trying to make sure that I have all my cards straight before I lay em down on the Jeep.

noroad

Well to be honest I'm just trying to learn about these kits so that when I get my Jeep I'll feel better about what I get because in my train of thought I always like to do it right the first time and not have to turn around and change it. Y'all have run these kits at some point and time know better than I do how they perform and which is the better bang for the buck and I'm just trying to make sure that I have all my cards straight before I lay em down on the Jeep.

Smart man!

At some point my JKU is going to get a long arm and coilovers, just anytime soon. I like the look and feel of the EVO Plush Rides. They come in two different lift kits, the Enforcer and Double D. Had I know then what I know now I would have held out for the Double D so I could have the bolt on long arm and high steer kit. Hind sight is always 20/20.

Ride is subjective.

R/
Will

dcbjk

Caught the Bug
The question which begs me to ask is what type of driving will you mainly be doing? I ask because my JKU is a DD and wanted something that will perform well on the road as off-road. I have the EVO 3 inch plush ride coils paired with Rancho RS9000XL adjustable shocks and love it. I gained exactly 3 inches of lift with the EVO Coils. I am currently running Nitto Trail Grapplers 35x12.5x17 and have zero issues with rubbing at full stuff. I know you did not mention EVO Plush ride but wanted to give my opinion. I have had the Pro-Comp 2.5 inch lift and well let's just say it was money I should not have spent. If you have the opportunity seek out other JK owners in your area that various lifts installed and see which one you like the best. It is worth waiting and getting exactly what you want than settling. Ask me how I know? Trust me and I did not stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Oh one last tidbit of advice, ride is very subjective. What one likes someone else may not.

R/
Will

Well to try and answer your question I plan using it as a DD but it will also be doing rock crawling couple of times a month at least that's my plan and I'm just trying to make sure that everything is done right and I have considered EVO cause they have an awesome kit but considering how my budget runs I may or may not be able to afford it, but I could be wrong on that too. I'll have to do some more comparing. Also I live in NC and the only offroad places around here are 4 wheel parts and down east offroad so I'm trying to work with what I have around here.

Top Bottom