Looking to Upgrade to Rancho RS9000XL on RC 3.5" Lift

Schweaty

As the title says, I've seen nothing but good things about the Rancho RS9000XL adjustable shocks. I started off running the Rough Country 3.5" and after blowing out one of the rear shocks I "upgraded" from the 2.0 to the 2.2. Not really liking the ride and want to switch out the shocks and eventually the springs to 4" EVO plush coils.

Anyone else start with the 3.5" Rough Country and upgrade to the RS9000XLs? They are made for 4" lifts and they recommend you run them with their kit.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks! :rock:

noroad

As the title says, I've seen nothing but good things about the Rancho RS9000XL adjustable shocks. I started off running the Rough Country 3.5" and after blowing out one of the rear shocks I "upgraded" from the 2.0 to the 2.2. Not really liking the ride and want to switch out the shocks and eventually the springs to 4" EVO plush coils.

Anyone else start with the 3.5" Rough Country and upgrade to the RS9000XLs? They are made for 4" lifts and they recommend you run them with their kit.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks! :rock:

If i were u i would change out as much rough country parts as I could ASAP. I have seen time and time again there cheap metal break in half on the trail! Just ask anyone on our last trip out! As for the shocks i hear good things about ranchos!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The shocks you are running now are just basic old school hydros and really, there's only so much they can do. The 9000's are great shocks being that they can be adjusted to your taste. Having said that, a newer mono tube shock like the Rancho 7000 or something similar to it will do a much better job at dampening over hydros as well. Of course, what you really need to decide is whether it really is improved "dampening" you're looking for? A lot of ride quality comes from your springs and they may ultimately be where a bigger part of your discomfort resides.

Schweaty

The shocks you are running now are just basic old school hydros and really, there's only so much they can do. The 9000's are great shocks being that they can be adjusted to your taste. Having said that, a newer mono tube shock like the Rancho 7000 or something similar to it will do a much better job at dampening over hydros as well. Of course, what you really need to decide is whether it really is improved "dampening" you're looking for? A lot of ride quality comes from your springs and they may ultimately be where a bigger part of your discomfort resides.

This was my other dilemma, replace the shocks or the springs first. The cost is pretty similar, and I would feel a lot more comfortable replacing the shocks, never done springs before but it doesn't seem like it would be too difficult to do. I guess it's the lesser of two evils, are the Rough Country shocks or springs needing to be replaced first. When I first had the kit installed I was pretty happy with it but the longer I had them the worse it seemed to get.

noroad

This was my other dilemma, replace the shocks or the springs first. The cost is pretty similar, and I would feel a lot more comfortable replacing the shocks, never done springs before but it doesn't seem like it would be too difficult to do. I guess it's the lesser of two evils, are the Rough Country shocks or springs needing to be replaced first. When I first had the kit installed I was pretty happy with it but the longer I had them the worse it seemed to get.

Coil swap is 4 bolts in the front and 4 in the back! very stright forward swaybar links and lower shock bolts! As wayalife said you would prob feel more in changing coils out!

Schweaty

I guess my other concern is that with the parts of the Rough Country lift still present would it be okay to run the Rancho's and 4" springs? Will i need to change out the control arms, pitman arm, etc? I anticipate there being some compression from weight in the front and back, so probably end up being a true 3.5" lift.

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

In all fairness, even with new coils, running them with old school hydros, you may find your ride to be more comfortable but, still a bit off. If you do decide to do coils first, this write-up I did will help you to remove and install a new set. Just refer to the steps that pertain your needs.

http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write...er-long-travel-lift-kit-installation-write-up

Otherwise, starting off with new shocks isn't a bad idea, just be aware they may not significantly improve your ride quality.

noroad

I guess my other concern is that with the parts of the Rough Country lift still present would it be okay to run the Rancho's and 4" springs? Will i need to change out the control arms, pitman arm, etc?

What kit are you running? does it have adj. arms at all? Deff change out the front RC track bar ends! what else do you have, extended brake lines?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I guess my other concern is that with the parts of the Rough Country lift still present would it be okay to run the Rancho's and 4" springs? Will i need to change out the control arms, pitman arm, etc? I anticipate there being some compression from weight in the front and back, so probably end up being a true 3.5" lift.

Yeah, so long as the collapsed and extended lengths are made for the 4" of lift you have, you should be good to go. No need to replace anything else out.

Schweaty

What kit are you running? does it have adj. arms at all? Deff change out the front RC track bar ends! what else do you have, extended brake lines?

I'm running the Rough Country 3.5 in. Series II Lift Kit w/ Shocks, came with Front & Rear Coil Springs, 2.0 shocks, track bar drop brackets, front lower control arms, drop pitman arm, sway bar links (which are now gone and replaced with JKS quick discos) and rear coil correction plates. Yes, I have extended brake lines.

noroad

I'm running the Rough Country 3.5 in. Series II Lift Kit w/ Shocks, came with Front & Rear Coil Springs, 2.0 shocks, track bar drop brackets, front lower control arms, drop pitman arm, sway bar links (which are now gone and replaced with JKS quick discos) and rear coil correction plates. Yes, I have extended brake lines.

Thats good, like it was said you should be fine to run the 4inch coils(just know that most run a little taller then 4) I would say maybe look for a front adj track bar if it looks off, if you get new coils!

TheDuff

Get rid of the drop Pitman arm for sure, get a drag link flip instead:beer:

Sent from my LG-D800 using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Get rid of the drop Pitman arm for sure, get a drag link flip instead:beer:

Sent from my LG-D800 using WAYALIFE mobile app

eh, a dropped pitman arm in and of itself isn't necessarily a terrible thing to have. It'll get the job done but, having installed and tested an RC track bar bracket, I would definitely get rid of that. It just isn't supported enough and I have seen where it acted like a lever to tear off the factory mount. Of course, if you're going to ditch it, you'll want to get rid of the dropped pitman arm at the same time :yup:

Top Bottom