Now, or Later?

cddye

I have a dilemma to solve.

I have some friends that relatively routinely do some trail riding/rock crawling around here. The problem is that the trails they frequent require at least a little bit of lift to negotiate without scrubbing skid plates, and maybe the diff? It's dirt for the most part, but with only Rubi rails to protect my JK, and it being a DD, I have the heebie jeebies about joining them.

I've got Rubi shocks and stiffer springs that I want to put on my JKU Sport, and I want to put a 2.5" BB on as well.

All of that said, I'm still rocking the stock 16" wheels and 28" ATs that came home from the dealership, and with a baby on the way the cash for 5 new tires is hard for me to justify.

So: would a BB a) look stupid with 28" tires, and b) still leave me in danger of tearing up a differential and/or suspension parts without larger tires?

'14 JKU, Billet.

noroad

I have some friends that relatively routinely do some trail riding/rock crawling around here. The problem is that the trails they frequent require at least a little bit of lift to negotiate without scrubbing skid plates, and maybe the diff? It's dirt for the most part, but with only Rubi rails to protect my JK, and it being a DD, I have the heebie jeebies about joining them.

I've got Rubi shocks and stiffer springs that I want to put on my JKU Sport, and I want to put a 2.5" BB on as well.

All of that said, I'm still rocking the stock 16" wheels and 28" ATs that came home from the dealership, and with a baby on the way the cash for 5 new tires is hard for me to justify.

So: would a BB a) look stupid with 28" tires, and b) still leave me in danger of tearing up a differential and/or suspension parts without larger tires?

'14 JKU, Billet.

I would just do a small 1.75 spacer lift (80$) for now(plenty of lift for 28s up to 35s with flats) and through on the evo protck oil and tranny skid plate!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

'14 JKU, Billet.

What you should really be looking into is getting a set of bigger tires. Even a set of 32" Rubicon take offs will serve you better than a lift. Otherwise, a basic budget boost will be a great start and will help you out.

noroad

Here is a jku with the 1.75 spacer lift and 32 inch tires! ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1407284721.230068.jpg
An a jk with 1.75 spacer on 35s
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1407284831.924973.jpg

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
look into some skids and maybe some larger tires. if you're not sure don't go down a trail that is too much for your current set up. i'm a firm believer in skids and recovery gear first before a lift. just my 2 pesos. good luck in your quest.

David1tontj

X2 on the bigger tires. You will gain 2" of axle clearance which is huge, and it will get the same 2" of height lift that you plan on lifting the suspension.

My ride- 2001 power wheel, 11" plastic tires, upgraded battery, boat sides, custom bumpers, tow hooks, new paint.

thardy

Banned
I definitely agree on the bugger tires. I went 285/75 on 16's and it took the jeep to a whole different level, both looks and capabilities.

Sent from WAYALIFE mobile app

Panda

and with a baby on the way the cash for 5 new tires is hard for me to justify.

'14 JKU, Billet.

Just tell mom the baby needs to go wheelin too! Happy dad makes a happy baby :D you can get some rubicon tires cheap if you look around :thumb:

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
Keep an eye on here and other places for some take offs. People are always getting rid of their old tires after an upgrade. Some of those tires are brand new.

2014 JKUR

cddye

What you should really be looking into is getting a set of bigger tires. Even a set of 32" Rubicon take offs will serve you better than a lift. Otherwise, a basic budget boost will be a great start and will help you out.

Sure- but the cheapest I've seen a set of take-offs for is about $1,000. That's a more significant investment than just a BB, even if it is the right idea in the end. I think I know the smart play here, it just isn't what I want. /whine

'14 JKU, Billet.

Christarp

Look for a set of rubicon take off wheels and tires, they can be had for super cheap and you can put them on without messing with your suspension at all. I do suggest getting a set of take off rubicon shocks as well since they will improve the stock ride a heck of a lot.

Sure- but the cheapest I've seen a set of take-offs for is about $1,000. That's a more significant investment than just a BB, even if it is the right idea in the end. I think I know the smart play here, it just isn't what I want. /whine

'14 JKU, Billet.

yikes, I got a set of 5 rubicon wheels and tires for $200, I'd just keep looking around. There's no real point in lifting a jeep that has 28" tires and can practically run 33" tires without any modifications.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

'14 JKU, Billet.

Really? I've sold a brand new set with wheels for $800 and a used set for $600 and have seen deal like them in the past. A budget boost will cost you about $500+ and won't even give you the kind of performance gains bigger tires will.

cddye

Really? I've sold a brand new set with wheels for $800 and a used set for $600 and have seen deal like them in the past. A budget boost will cost you about $500+ and won't even give you the kind of performance gains bigger tires will.

Everything I can find around me (Raleigh, NC area) is $1100-1200 for a set of 5 Rubi wheels/tires with 0-10k miles. A Teraflex BB with adapters seems to be available for $350- unless I'm missing an extra expense?

'14 JKU, Billet.

noroad

Everything I can find around me (Raleigh, NC area) is $1100-1200 for a set of 5 Rubi wheels/tires with 0-10k miles. A Teraflex BB with adapters seems to be available for $350- unless I'm missing an extra expense?

'14 JKU, Billet.

Set by me for 300 if u want a number!

cddye

Just tires do u need wheels i can get some stock 17s?

Therein lies the rub. I'm not against the idea, but things start getting expensive. And if you're in Boston, shipping will be another expense. Patience and planning is probably the smart play here, but I'm not a patient man.

'14 JKU, Billet.

noroad

Therein lies the rub. I'm not against the idea, but things start getting expensive. And if you're in Boston, shipping will be another expense. Patience and planning is probably the smart play here, but I'm not a patient man.

'14 JKU, Billet.

Pretty sure i have some 17s out back behind the shed lol, and i drive to PA all the time to wheel if you could meet there!

But no biggy!

here is one looking for the other

http://boston.craigslist.org/sob/pts/4603636389.html

http://newlondon.craigslist.org/pts/4596299221.html

Last edited:

catahoula

Caught the Bug
I have to agree there are deals to be had out there. I had gotten a set of 5 Rubi take offs with 2000 miles and 18/59's for $900. Even add a spacer or two up front.

Top Bottom