Need some help with a move.

sethccole

So! New here, new to Jeeps...ish. I learned how to drive stick on a '95 YJ before I had my license. Right now I have a '14 JKR. Anyway, I'm moving from Georgia to (drum roll please) Alaska. On to the help part. My plans are to rust proof the undercarriage, get snow tires (33" duratracks), engine, trans, and oil pan heaters at first. Then, after I pay for my soon to be fiances engagement ring (all the mods I could ever want to do) a 2.5" lift, 35s, bumpers, lights, and rack. It's going to be an overlander, hence the tame lift and tires. What am I missing?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Now that's a hell of a move!! :eek:

Regarding your Jeep, sounds like you're off to building yourself a very nice and capable Jeep. Certainly, there's no need to apologize for it and call it an "overland" build. :crazyeyes: The only thing you'll want to be aware of is that IF you run new shocks with your 2.5" lift that provides too much droop, you will need to replace your front drive shaft or install exhaust spacers. If you run a 2.5" coil lift that yields more than 3" of lift like many of them do, you will still end up needing to replace your front drive shaft in time as the increased angle at the output shaft will cause it to fail prematurely. Assuming that you have a 2-door, you will need to replace your rear shaft and install adjustable upper control arms to set your pinion as well. If you want to avoid all this, I would recommend that you just install a 2.5" coil spacer lift and run them with shock extensions or shocks short enough to prevent too much droop. With this, you should be fine without new shafts.

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
My brother-in-law is making the same move to Alaska. His unit in Colorado was disbanded and they almost sent him to Georgia. I think he is going up there around Thanksgiving time. Anyhow, WOL already gave you the info on lifts so I won’t beat that horse. Good luck with the move, and if I ever visit my family I’ll give you a shout. :thumb:

sethccole

Thanks for the info on the lifts ya'll! I appreciate it! :thumb:

Is there anything else anyone can think of that I'm missing from my list for the move or extreme cold weather?:thinking:

Also, concerning the overlanding thing, the basics of it are keeping the Jeep reliable and simple as possible. Moving to Alaska I think I will be doing a lot more exploring than actual rock climbing or trail riding. Any way! Build for the environment you're going to be riding in!

Last edited:

TrailBear

Change your antifreeze, make sure it's rated to handle the extreme temps. You'll want to run a lighter oil in the winter as well, I think they use 0 weight, both of this could be done once you get up there and see what is recommended for that area. Did you get heated seats ?

Christarp

Maybe look into getting some headliner inserts for the hard top? Other than that and what was mentioned already I can't think of anything that would really need to be done.

TrailBear

Haha, no. Which my soon to be wife is pretty upset about.:chatterbox: I'll have to install one in her seat. I'm not a fan of them. Makes my butt hot....

They are nice on a cold day, especially if you have remote start, then she's nice and warm when you get in out of the cold:)

MTG

Caught the Bug
They are nice on a cold day, especially if you have remote start, then she's nice and warm when you get in out of the cold:)

Wait a minute...at the risk of ridicule...how do you get the heated seats to come on with remote start? :idontknow:

OP good luck with the move. :thumb:

ttfhell

Wait a minute...at the risk of ridicule...how do you get the heated seats to come on with remote start? :idontknow: OP good luck with the move. :thumb:
Not to seem any less of a man...but I'd like to know as well.

pvanweelden

Wait a minute...at the risk of ridicule...how do you get the heated seats to come on with remote start? :idontknow:
Can't tell if you are serious or not, but the heated seats would kick on when the vehicle is started, just like a heater/AC switch or the radio. The heated seat control switch just needs to be left in the on position.

OP- I would definitely recommend getting a heated seat kit for both front seats, incase she ever drives :)

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
Can't tell if you are serious or not, but the heated seats would kick on when the vehicle is started, just like a heater/AC switch or the radio. The heated seat control switch just needs to be left in the on position.

OP- I would definitely recommend getting a heated seat kit for both front seats, incase she ever drives :)

mine don't turn on if i left them on after shut down. :hmm:

pvanweelden

^ factory?

I have aftermarket kit that turns all 4 seats on when I start up, if I leave them in the on position.

pvanweelden

Yes there are, but there is no way to prevent the vehicle from attempting to start if you leave it in gear instead of neutral.

Sent from my SM-N900V using WAYALIFE mobile app

MTG

Caught the Bug
Not to seem any less of a man...but I'd like to know as well.

Oh I am completely serious. If there was a way to get the factory seats to turn on with remote start…I AM IN!

I don't think it can be done though. :grayno:

Oh and Russ, stop being such a pussy! ;)

Top Bottom