Body lift questions

Sugarbear

I'm thinking of putting a 2 inch body lift on my jk I already have a 3 inch suspension with 315/75/16 my question is will I have to extend brake lines and other things with 2 inch body lift and will it look dumb if I don't get bigger tires

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Why do you want one? 5" of lift is a lot especially for 35's. You can fit 40's with 5" of lift. Keep what you have IMO.

StrizzyChris

I had linkage issues with my transfer case on my old JKU after installing a body lift. Ill never install one again. And like Overlander stated, you already have enough lift for your needs

I had linkage issues with my transfer case on my old JKU after installing a body lift. Ill never install one again. And like Overlander stated, you already have enough lift for your needs

Is that just an automatic thing? I just pulled the 2" off of Mumbo and didn't have an issue with the 6 speed. Just curious is all.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
Sometimes a guy needs a little more lift.

Attachments

• 1407389782061.jpg
    1407389782061.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 122

StrizzyChris

Is that just an automatic thing? I just pulled the 2" off of Mumbo and didn't have an issue with the 6 speed. Just curious is all.

To be honest, I am not sure. I just had trouble putting it in 4lo after and no issues once removed. 4hi was fine with it.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
As mentioned just stick with what you have and skip the body lift. you have plenty of room to run 35's and potentially 37's with flat fenders if you want

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I'm thinking of putting a 2 inch body lift on my jk I already have a 3 inch suspension with 315/75/16 my question is will I have to extend brake lines and other things with 2 inch body lift and will it look dumb if I don't get bigger tires

2" is a LOT of body lift and I really wouldn't recommend it. At most, 1" is about as tall as you should go. Anymore than that and you will have a very visible gap between your frame rails and body and you will also put strain on things like hard lines and wiring harnesses that are attached to your body. Not sure what year or transmission you have but you can have other issues as well. Of course, this is to say nothing about how tall your Jeep will be over all. 5" total really is a sky high lift and one that won't be doing your center of gravity any favors.

Actually, autos have it easier. I ran a 1" body lift on Moby way back when and had issues with shifting his then 6-speed. The inner shift boot would bunch up and prevent the shifter from staying in gear. With 2" of body lift, you'd have to remove the boot or do some trimming.

cebley

A lot of people are anti-body lifts all together when it comes to JKs. I'm from the school of thought that they have a very specific use case and should be viewed as a part of a full suspension build not as the entire suspension build.

In my case I was able to use a 1" MORE BL in conjunction with flat fenders to clear 37s on a 2" suspension lift. That left me with friendly driveshaft angles and no need for a steering flip etc. I ran spring retainers and matched the shocks to get about 4" of uptravel and the rest downtravel. My only gripe with my setup is the break over angle for a 4 door is kinda rough when going over certain obstacles and I still "kiss" my skids despite the 37s.

I think wayalife has a good write up of the MORE 1" install, it uses aluminum pucks which I prefer over the poly variety. You should check that out as it shows the bumper gaps that you get and also explains the advantages a bit better.

Sugarbear

Thanks for all the input guys I'm deciding not to do it I don't have any issues at moment and I don't wanna cause any haha

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
A lot of people are anti-body lifts all together when it comes to JKs. I'm from the school of thought that they have a very specific use case and should be viewed as a part of a full suspension build not as the entire suspension build.

In my case I was able to use a 1" MORE BL in conjunction with flat fenders to clear 37s on a 2" suspension lift. That left me with friendly driveshaft angles and no need for a steering flip etc. I ran spring retainers and matched the shocks to get about 4" of uptravel and the rest downtravel. My only gripe with my setup is the break over angle for a 4 door is kinda rough when going over certain obstacles and I still "kiss" my skids despite the 37s.

I think wayalife has a good write up of the MORE 1" install, it uses aluminum pucks which I prefer over the poly variety. You should check that out as it shows the bumper gaps that you get and also explains the advantages a bit better.

Yup, as mentioned, 1" is as tall as I would go and I personally don't have any problems with that. Anything more and I really wouldn't recommend it.

Thanks for all the input guys I'm deciding not to do it I don't have any issues at moment and I don't wanna cause any haha

Honestly, for as much lift as you already have, I think you are making the right choice. :yup:

Top Bottom