Wet CB Radio

UpsideUp

As most of you know we tend to have pretty nice weather in Northern California most of the year. But on occasion we get the rare summer storms that drop a little rain, enough to basically wash the road ways. And they usually come during Hawaii like weather. The kind of weather where you happily drive with the top off.
This leads me to my problem. I have a brand new Cobra LX mounted above the rear view and when I got in the jeep to head to work I noticed the water puddles in the drink holders and the wet seats and right away worried about electronics. I turned on my CB and noticed a plane green screen. No numbers, no nothing! I still get sound out of it but it does me little good if I cant see what channel I'm on.
Now what I'm asking is...am I the only one who has ever been caught in a topless jeep, in a summer storm that has killed there CB? Don't these things have a bit more protection than an IPhone against moisture? And is there anything I can do to fix it it or is it useless??
Thanks for advice

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
You can send it back to cobra. They have a two year warranty and should cover repairs. You can call them and talk to them first to make sure it'll be covered.

UpsideUp

Thanks Overlander! You could imagine the drop in my stomach when I saw $150 wash down the gutter with the rain drops. It would be great if they agree to repair/exchange it.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Thanks Overlander! You could imagine the drop in my stomach when I saw $150 wash down the gutter with the rain drops. It would be great if they agree to repair/exchange it.

I had an issue with mine recently and had the same feeling. Luckily mine fixed itself somehow. :thinking:

jeeeep

Hooked
never turn on electronics when they get wet, if you can, open the case and dry it out.

Same thing happened to my CB, I took off the case drained any remaining water and set it in rice to let it finish drying.

After I sprayed some WD40 (great for water displacement) to remove any remaining moisture - been working great for over a year!

but it would be nice if it was more water resistant

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
If you have any hope of them fixing it do not open it up like the others have said. If you break the seal they will not warranty it.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
If you have any hope of them fixing it do not open it up like the others have said. If you break the seal they will not warranty it.

x2 on what overlander said. Don't open it. I opened my ps3 to clean out the dust once. A month later I got the yellow light of death (just like the red ring for you Xbox people). I had a warranty and sent it in. I got a call a few days later that they would warranty it because they could tell I opened it. Ended up paying more in the long run.

Top Bottom