Transfer case shifter bushing failure

Panda

Hi guys, I wanted to share my troubles with my transfer case shifter coming apart on the trail twice now :grayno: it seems this little bushing likes to pop off or break completely on my 13 2dr when shifting in or out of 4wd, soooooo in the chance this may happen to you here is what you can do, it's a simple fix if you know how the console comes apart, it won't require any tools but maybe a screw driver to help push the bushing back in place, the transfer case shifter knob pulls straight off, yup you just pull it toward you, HARD! The detent here is all that holds it on ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1407456164.857990.jpg
Then the top part of your console snaps off, there are no screws holding the top center part of the console it just snaps off ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1407456207.112911.jpg
Then you can access the cable linkage where it attaches to the shifter ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1407456350.108194.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1407456370.471960.jpg
The little white plastic bushing is where it will come apart and it will snap back onto the pin or if it breaks you will have to replace it, I picked up a few extras at the dealer they're only $2.95 ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1407456650.012563.jpg part no 68064273ab this is also the same bushing that attaches the cable to the transfer case underneath so it's a good spare part to have on the trail ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1407456853.775977.jpg
Just wanted to share this in case in can help you guys out on the trail someday because it can leave you stuck with the transfer case in neutral and going nowhere if you don't know what's going on :yup: happy Jeepin
-Panda

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Thanks for this wrote up panda! I hope I never have this issue but if I do I know where to look now

JKbrick

Good to know it is at both ends. The one on the transfer case on mine disintegrated when I was in low range. Thanks Panda

utiadam

LOSER
Probably not the most cost effective solution, we can buy a lot of white plastic clips for the cost of this, but the folks I've talked to that have this say it is a pretty nice kit for the OEM transfer case and eliminates the weak links.

http://www.advanceadapters.com/products/715596--heavy-duty-jk-cable-shifter-upgrade/

That's pretty cool! I think it's possible to do that with the transfer case installed. They don't mention having to remove it so maybe it was only removed to make the video easier.

SaddleTramp

That's pretty cool! I think it's possible to do that with the transfer case installed. They don't mention having to remove it so maybe it was only removed to make the video easier.

Yeah, just for the video's sake but I think I remember a thread where Eddie mentioned that while it's a good kit, it does take some time to install "on car". I nominate you Adam to come up and I'll take pics and do a write up while you do the install on my JK in my garach, haha.

utiadam

LOSER
Yeah, just for the video's sake but I think I remember a thread where Eddie mentioned that while it's a good kit, it does take some time to install "on car". I nominate you Adam to come up and I'll take pics and do a write up while you do the install on my JK in my garach, haha.

Haha I'm up to the challenge! I think you should come over here though since I have access to a lift and all my tools at work.

SaddleTramp

Haha I'm up to the challenge! I think you should come over here though since I have access to a lift and all my tools at work.

Do those German wrenches fit a JK, haha, ??? You be careful, I'll take you up on that even though I think we'd find more trouble up here!

Ive done the AA upgrade. Its not really difficult. Hard part is simply adjusting the cable, and thats still nothing. This is a nice (albeit expensive) fix to the plastic clip breakage issue.

Top Bottom