Please send your good vibes

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
So I'm stepping out of my comfort zone a bit here and reaching out to all of you and asking you to send me your good vibes. Why you my ask? Good question. Tomorrow is my D-day you can say for me to continue pursuing a new career in the US Coast Guard. After 3 years and so many months of the run around I am off to get a final physical to see if I can go to basic training.

A little insure for you as to why I am reaching out. When I was 11 I injured my knee in a hockey clinic. Imagine standing straight up, knee locked, and then your right leg making a perfect 90* angle out to the right. That's what happened to me. Luckily I didn't tear anything. At the age of 18 I had an arthroscopy surgery to clean out cartilage from the back of my knee cap and remove fluid from my knee.

After going to school for 3 years and just getting my associates I decided to drop out. I hated the atmosphere and decided to pursue a passion, boating. I instantly thought of the movie guardian and said I wanna be in the coast guard.

The start of spring semester in 2011 I went to recruiting office in Philly and started what I thought would be an easy process. Little did I know my recruiter dismissed me right from the get go because of my knee. After two long years of little talking with him, taking my asvab, and going to meps, I found out I was disqualified and my last resort was reserves. So off to reserves and a new recruiter I went to pursue my dream.

At the start of this year I got word from my new recruiter that I could try for full time again if I wanted. Of course I said! Once again I had to take the asvab. I improved my score to a 72 from a 68! Then comes meps. Now for the past few months in preparing for meps I lost over 20 lbs in 3 months! For my height (6'2") the CG says I need to be 208lbs. I went from 220 to 197! As I said earlier tomorrow is my d-day. Tomorrow I got to meps and hope for the best to go to basic training. I hope all this hard work I put in pays off.

So please send me your good vibes because I am really nervous about tomorrow! I may not show it or talk about it but I really am. I hope the docs look over me and see nothing is wrong and fit for duty. I will keep you guys posted on when I hear more if you like.

Thanks for taking the time to read this. :)
Steve

WhiteShadow

Good luck Steve! Coming from another person with knee problems! Busted my knee up running and playing soccer. Hope for the best man! And great story if I might add! Follow your dreams!

GCM 2

Awesome!

Good luck with the physical exam! I have been passing physical exams every two years since 1984, and I have yet to even bother studying for one ;) I think you are making a great decision, as selfless service in any of the branches is an honorable way of life (looks better when spelled Wayoflife or Wayalife) no matter if it's 3 years or 30 years served.

A few years ago (2009-2010) I took a needed break from my work of going overseas and switched over to another gig that my company had training Coast Guard TACLET and MSST teams (basically their SWAT and HRT) in advanced ship CQB. I really enjoyed working not only with the young professionals, but working at their locations. When compared to my career in the Army and where I was stationed (the arm pits of the USA and the world) the Coast Guard has some pretty sweet spots to be assigned to. I loved going to Miami and Hawaii ;)

I hope all checks out perfectly for you. Good luck and I am sending some of my best vibes in your direction.

2013CGJKU

Good luck brother! Now you understand why everyone says to say NO to every question before you get in and stick to your guns for the entire time you are in... haha!

You got this brother. You will enjoy your time in, you sound like someone who is joining for the right reason (the kind of guy I wish there was more of). Thank you for your future service brother.

Levi

2013 CG JKU 6-speed

sean.m.adams33

Good luck to you brother. I really hope all your hard work pays off. The service can always use a motivated person such as yourself.

MTG

Caught the Bug
"Those that think they can and those that think they can't are both right." --Henry Ford

You've come to far to fail. Good luck tomorrow! But I don't think you'll need it. ;)

TNuggs13

Good luck man! In have a buddy in the CG who is a rescue swimmer and they work hard at what they do in every aspect in the CG. Good choice for military and good people.

Top Bottom