Failure or theft?

GetOut

So I hop in the jeep to run to the store and on the way there keep thinking to myself that it feels like I've got a lot of body roll going on. Didn't think to check it out when I for there and as I turned out of the parking lot I'm noticing again my jeep is swaying like crazy. So I get home and crawl underneath to find this:

IMAG0342.jpg

Which should look like this:

IMAG0343.jpg

Now in order to remove that you have to remove both pins, I just can't seem to figure out if it is more likely that both pins failed or that somebody decided they needed that specific piece more than I did... any thoughts? Anyone seen this style disco fail before?

StrizzyChris

If theft, then they are idiots! My guess would be that u forgot to pin them the last time u reconnected ur links and wiggled out over time. Failure of both is nearly impossible!

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
GCM 2 said:
With only the photos to go from, I'm thinking failure of the swaybar link.

I have to agree, the pins on these bars fall apart easily. Looks like an old fulltraction link, only its the TJ version( jk is suppose to have a straight link)

Once one goes it puts stress on the other.

And no offense as rusty as they are who would want to steal them.

Last edited:

StrizzyChris

Thats exactly my thought with my comment of them being idiots to go through the hassle, and risk of being caught, to steal them.

I have to agree, the pins on these bars fall apart easily. Looks like an old fulltraction link, only its the TJ version( jk is suppose to have a straight link)

I would think once one went, then it would push the other mount out but stay attached by one pin. I think we need more of a magnified photo for a true forensic judgment!

Markymark420

Definitely failure! Based off of the surface corrosion and the amount of shear stress that those 1/4 or 5/16 pins face, I would imagine that one broke completely through, thus leading the free end to theoretically hammer down/up on the remaining pin, eventually causing it to fail as well.

Unless of course you have any ex-wives/girlfriends that you really pissed off.

Last edited:

GetOut

If theft, then they are idiots! My guess would be that u forgot to pin them the last time u reconnected ur links and wiggled out over time. Failure of both is nearly impossible!

That's my thoughts, who would take that? Why just one side? I know for sure I pinned it last time, as I was up at Drummond Island and had to chisel out the mud to get the pins through.

No offense taken, it is Michigan, they use salt on the roads it happens, just another reason why I think why the heck would somebody take it.

Strange thing is there are no marks that make it look as though it had broken, I would expect some sort of sign, a scratch, a deformity, something.... Not seeing that made me think it could have been taken, however I do not live in the Phoenix area anymore, I am in a small farming town in southern MI, I don't think there is even another lifted Jk within 50 miles of me

Not that I am hugely upset about the entire ordeal, I had been wanting to upgrade to the JKS quicker version and now I have a reasonable excuse for spending on jeep parts :rock:

Last edited:
Top Bottom