Need a little help starting the jeep!

NETAAA

Hello all!

Let's start from the beginning.
Decided to wash the jeep and
de-grease the engine. Sprayed some degreaser then followed up by pressure washing it (light coats of water, didn't leave it sitting). After, I got the air hose and started to air dry the whole engine. Started it up like normal, moved it and parked it. About 30 min later I closed up shop, and went to the bank (again started and drove normal) parked it at the bank for about 10 min, went to start it and only a click.. Kept doing that and a guy next to me asked if I wanted a jump.. We did and when I went to start it, only the click again. Held the key in the start position and it started clicking till it eventually started...
Decided to go back to the shop to give it another round of air... Went to start it and only a click again this time without a jump start I held the key in the start position and it kept clicking till it started.. I figured some water had gotten in something and it would prob dry on my way home (about 1hr in traffic). Drove home normal, about an hour after I got home went to turn it on and nothing! This time everything was dead! No lights no dash light zip! Nothing, nada!

Tried jump starting it, tried hitting the starter (thinking it might be stuck) nothing! While the cables to jump start it were connected all the lights worked, once I disconnected them it went dead! No lights.. Pushed it in the driveway and noticed my right tail light was on, but just barley..
I don't know what to do..
Any ideas???
Thanks!

09 Sahara unlimited everything in the engine is stock.

Schweetjk

Check the connector at your starter, it might be loose and also check for loose battery cables/ &ground wire

NETAAA

Thanks for the replies guys.
I check all the connections mentioned and they all seem to be fine. Last night I disconnected the pos from the battery and left it overnight. This morning I connected it and went to start it and nothing no lights only one red dot on the dash, on top of the temp gauge (pic below), took the key out and went to the engine and I heard a little ticking noise, chased it down to the K4 relay (run/start relay) I'll try to post a video clip of it.
Do you think the relay went bad??

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
could be a place to start if it got water in it. not sure the going rate on a relay, but shouldn't be too much.

jeeeep

Hooked
Thanks for the replies guys.
I check all the connections mentioned and they all seem to be fine. Last night I disconnected the pos from the battery and left it overnight. This morning I connected it and went to start it and nothing no lights only one red dot on the dash, on top of the temp gauge (pic below), took the key out and went to the engine and I heard a little ticking noise, chased it down to the K4 relay (run/start relay) I'll try to post a video clip of it.
Do you think the relay went bad??

may still be some water in there...try spraying it with WD40 to displace any remaining water.

Also, disconnect the ground - not the pos and see if that resets it

At any point did/do you notice a "burnt" smell? Reason I'm asking is because by holding the key in the start position as you did could put an unusual strain/draw on the electrical system coming off the battery and it's possible your fusible link is now shot, hence the reason why there's no power to even your lights.

NETAAA

At any point did/do you notice a "burnt" smell? Reason I'm asking is because by holding the key in the start position as you did could put an unusual strain/draw on the electrical system coming off the battery and it's possible your fusible link is now shot, hence the reason why there's no power to even your lights.

No, didn't notice any smell. How can I check the fusible link?

No, didn't notice any smell. How can I check the fusible link?

You can use a test light. If I'm wrong on which wire I'm sure someone will let me know, but the green wire coming off the battery is the fusible link. You want to attach the gator clip end of the test light to a ground and pierce the green wire with the point about 18" so so from the battery. (The green wire should have changed to a black wire by this point). If the light comes on then the link is good, if not then you'll need it replaced.

txjeeplover

Bad battery cables and/or corroded battery terminals. I experienced a similar set of symptoms over a couple of weeks a while back. I cleaned the terminals but the problem persisted. Eventually I bought a new set of factory cables and a set of aftermarket terminals from Quadratec. Problem went away and never came back.

NETAAA

may still be some water in there...try spraying it with WD40 to displace any remaining water.

Also, disconnect the ground - not the pos and see if that resets it

Thanks bro!! Disconnected the neg from the batt.. Sprayed some WD40 in there waited about 15 min, Connected it and wham! Started right up like normal.. Everything is back to normal!

Thanks again guys for the replies!

Top Bottom