Bumper & Winch or Lift & Tires

JKBlackie

I've been saving for a while and I'm starting to get to the point where I can afford my next big move for my JKU. I'm trying to mull over the pro's and con's to going with a lift and tires first or a front bumper and winch. What do all of you suggest to cross off the list first? Keep in mind I am a student so the mod's don't exactly pour in too quickly. It'll probably be a while before the next mod comes.

My lift & Tires would probably be a BB and 35's
My bumper & winch will probably be a Pure Jeep Bare Bonez bumper and a Quadratec Winch.

Thanks for the input! :thumb:

lmaya

I would suggest bumper and winch. I went the opposite route and regretted it because the factory jeep already has great suspension and decent clearance to get you through some difficult situations....but if you have a winch then you can recover yourself if you get stuck.

noroad

I've been saving for a while and I'm starting to get to the point where I can afford my next big move for my JKU. I'm trying to mull over the pro's and con's to going with a lift and tires first or a front bumper and winch. What do all of you suggest to cross off the list first? Keep in mind I am a student so the mod's don't exactly pour in too quickly. It'll probably be a while before the next mod comes.

My lift & Tires would probably be a BB and 35's
My bumper & winch will probably be a Pure Jeep Bare Bonez bumper and a Quadratec Winch.

Thanks for the input! :thumb:

My vote is for lift and tires as nothing is better then some space between you and the ground! Also someone can always winch you or tug you out, they cant always give yoyu more space from the ground!

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
I vote bumper and winch, lifted or factory can both get stuck. If your alone, that's a long walk for help.

JKBlackie

I vote bumper and winch, lifted or factory can both get stuck. If your alone, that's a long walk for help.

That's kinda what I was thinking. I don't have a ton if Jeep buddies so most of the weekend wheeling I do is alone. But I'm scared to get in the mud or tough trails because I won't have anyone to pull me out.

Armydog

x2 on the bumper and winch. Approach angle could be better, depending on the bumper you choose AND when (not if) you get stuck you can self recover! Unless you always wheel with at least one other rig (always), being able to pull your self out us priceless. Make sure you have solid anchor points on both the front and back of your jeep. Make sure you have at least one good quality strap. If money is tight a hand winch or come-a-long can work and is very cheep. Better than nothing until you can afford an electric winch....

Just my two cents..

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app.......

kevinp

I did bumper and winch, then some belly armor, THEN lift and tires. Then tire carrier and other cool kid stuff. I have wheeled with folks with a soft underside, and bigger tires/lift than mine, who wouldn't go where I went and needed my winch. ;-)

Kevin

Sent from my Galaxy S5 using the Wayalife APP

Zstairlessone

If you do the winch and bumper (and I see you go alone mostly) look at getting a pull pal or something similar. Pretty cheap insurance

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
I did bumper and winch, then some belly armor, THEN lift and tires. Then tire carrier and other cool kid stuff. I have wheeled with folks with a soft underside, and bigger tires/lift than mine, who wouldn't go where I went and needed my winch. ;-)

Kevin

Sent from my Galaxy S5 using the Wayalife APP

This is the route I took, recovery gear, skids and some tools. Lift and tires are next. Now if I never went off road, maybe the other way around. But getting stuck alone, hole in the oil pan is something I'd rather not deal with.

steve_r2

This is the route I took, recovery gear, skids and some tools. Lift and tires are next. Now if I never went off road, maybe the other way around. But getting stuck alone, hole in the oil pan is something I'd rather not deal with.
Yep ...this is the way I went as well. Better to be able to recover yourself when (not "if") it occurs.
So bumper and winch with the necessary bits and bobs first.
Just my 2p worth ;)

Top Bottom