High Pitched Squeak When Accelerating...Any Ideas?

angrymuffin

For the past year I have noticed a high pitched squeak coming from what I think might be my transmission. When I accelerate in 2nd + gears the squeak comes in and lasts anywhere from half a second to a few seconds but each time it happens the duration is always inconsistent. If i shift gears (say from 2nd to 3rd) it will stop and then pick up again when accelerating in 3rd with the same inconsistent duration. The squeak will usually go away once I am in gear and maintaining a constant speed however once I stop and then have to accelerate again the whole damn problem starts all over and it is driving me insane.

I've taken it to the dealer and they told me it was a normal driving noise. I have my serious doubts about this. So I began trying to fix this myself. In terms of fluids I have just recently changed out everything in the hopes that maybe it could help (engine oil (mobil 1 5w20 synthetic), both differentials (valvoline synthetic 75w90 in front 30 and 75w140 in rear 44), transmission (royal purple synchromax), transfer case (royal purple max atf). No luck.

I thought it could be the breaks (the rear pads were due for a changing anyway) so I replaced all of them on the front and the rear with advanced auto's wearever gold. Again, no luck :grayno:

I thought that maybe the throttle body was way to dirty and have heard rumors about it making squeaking noises when accelerating so I cleaned it spotless. Again, nothing. The squeal from hell still continues to haunt my dreams.

A little bit more information: When I put the shifter in neutral and rev the engine up there is no squeal, actually the engine sounds great...but as soon as I put this thing in gear and start to accelerate :doh:

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated!

xtremefx4

Do you have a Manual trans or auto?? If its a manual then it sounds like the throw out bearing might be going. I have an 11 and it went out at out 61000 mile. You might check that...

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Do you have a Manual trans or auto?? If its a manual then it sounds like the throw out bearing might be going. I have an 11 and it went out at out 61000 mile. You might check that...

Yeah, sounds like it could be a throwout bearing if we're talking about a manual.

JKFlyer

ok so this can be totally off, but i hear same noise but its' due to my aftermarket muffler///makes high pitch noise right around timing/speed you said. if you have one, may want to check it out. one thing i learned is when you think a noise is coming from one place, it can easily be elsewhere

angrymuffin

I do have a manual transmission, this seems like it might be worth looking into. Is the throw out bearing something that is covered by the lifetime powertrain warrenty for an 09?

ok so this can be totally off, but i hear same noise but its' due to my aftermarket muffler///makes high pitch noise right around timing/speed you said. if you have one, may want to check it out. one thing i learned is when you think a noise is coming from one place, it can easily be elsewhere

I use the stock exhaust system

xtremefx4

No they don't warranty anything that can wear out. If its the gears in the trans they will cover it but clutch disk pressure plate throw out bearing they wont cover. I took mine in and that's what they told me.

No they don't warranty anything that can wear out. If its the gears in the trans they will cover it but clutch disk pressure plate throw out bearing they wont cover. I took mine in and that's what they told me.

That is true, unless there is an obvious problem. Unfortunately, as the miles stack up - it's easier for them to blow you off and say it's a wear item. I've got 24k (ish) on my '13 manual trans and they've replaced the throw out bearings twice, input shaft bearings twice, the shifter fork, the actual shifter assembly... and I'm about to take it back in because I'm having all the same issues. I didn't see you mention how many miles are on it, but just wanted to give the heads up that it's possible for them to cover wear items under warranty if it's pretty new.

Top Bottom