Locker question

UpsideUp

I have a '12 JKSU and I'm looking to do lockers with my regear. I know this is probably some where in the forum but couldn't find the answer.
As I don't want to spend a ton of money on the D30 I was curious as to the ideas of people putting a "lunch box" style locker up front with a selectable locker in the rear?
Is anybody running this set up? I heard the locker (Detroit style) up front will only engage if the Jeep is put into 4 wheel drive thus making it essentially a selectable?
Just not sure I want to get the ARB for the D30 if I would like to upgrade to a 44 at some point.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I have a '12 JKSU and I'm looking to do lockers with my regear. I know this is probably some where in the forum but couldn't find the answer.
As I don't want to spend a ton of money on the D30 I was curious as to the ideas of people putting a "lunch box" style locker up front with a selectable locker in the rear?
Is anybody running this set up? I heard the locker (Detroit style) up front will only engage if the Jeep is put into 4 wheel drive thus making it essentially a selectable?
Just not sure I want to get the ARB for the D30 if I would like to upgrade to a 44 at some point.

Honestly, if it were me, I would just install an ARB in the rear and upgrade to 35 spline shafts at the same time. That is a great setup and on a Sport, you'll only need to carry one spare being that both shafts will be the same length. I would NOT waste my money on a front locker or anything. Every penny you spend on it is a penny that you can be saving up for a ProRock 44. Trust me, you can do plenty with just a rear locker and with stronger shafts, you can do even more. Play with your front Dana 30 until it breaks or until you can afford to upgrade. Trust me on this one, it just ain't worth building up at all especially in CA.

bkac

Caught the Bug
Honestly, if it were me, I would just install an ARB in the rear and upgrade to 35 spline shafts at the same time. That is a great setup and on a Sport, you'll only need to carry one spare being that both shafts will be the same length. I would NOT waste my money on a front locker or anything. Every penny you spend on it is a penny that you can be saving up for a ProRock 44. Trust me, you can do plenty with just a rear locker and with stronger shafts, you can do even more. Play with your front Dana 30 until it breaks or until you can afford to upgrade. Trust me on this one, it just ain't worth building up at all especially in CA.

Now that's a saving money in your pocket great reply! Couldn't agree more with that statement! :thumbup:

sent using the WAYALIFE app...

shadow21

I'm in the same boat as you UpSide I have a 14 JKU Sport. I was tempted to put a locker in it but instead of spending 1000 on a locker plus 2000 on axles, gears, install I just purchased a bare D60 for 1596.00 & I'm buying parts as I can afford. I think wayalife gave you the best advice you'll get.

Last edited:

noroad

just to add something and i may be wrong but i do not think you can put lunch box lockers in the front of 12+ as it messes with the abs and such! Could be wrong but thought i saw this come up in the past!

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
as wayalife said dont put a locker up front. do an arb in the rear with either the stock spline count or make it really stong and do a 35 spline count. i would suggest the latter. when you get the pr44 upfront then add in another arb and your good to go. i locked my rear and left the front open so i didnt spend to much money on the d30.

UpsideUp

You guys are awesome! I have to especially thank Coz and Wayalife. You guys have been on top of every question I throw out there. So much appreciated and can't wait to thank you guys over a drink of Honey! Cheers!!

JKFlyer

Agreed and just what I did

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using WAYALIFE mobile app

D.B.

This may be a stupid question but......why would you suggest the locker in the rear over the front?

Panda

This may be a stupid question but......why would you suggest the locker in the rear over the front?

Yup what Clem said, welcome to wayalife! surf over to the give us a wave section and say hi, maybe post some pics of your rig :thumb:

StrizzyChris

As mentioned, you shouldn't waste too much cash on a D30. Also the teeth on the ring and pinion of a D30 is soo tall and thin, ESPECIALLY if you have regeared, that adding a front locker is just asking for a break.

Also if you only have 1 locker it should always be in the rear. Its the push axle, rather than pull, that will almost always have more traction AND a front locker makes steering more difficult without a hydro steering system. I try to use my front locker as little as possible.

JKWrang

As mentioned, you shouldn't waste too much cash on a D30. Also the teeth on the ring and pinion of a D30 is soo tall and thin, ESPECIALLY if you have regeared, that adding a front locker is just asking for a break.

Also if you only have 1 locker it should always be in the rear. Its the push axle, rather than pull, that will almost always have more traction AND a front locker makes steering more difficult without a hydro steering system. I try to use my front locker as little as possible.

This. And all of everything that was said - a d30 while not total junk is not worth upgrading (unless by upgrade you mean replacing with a PR44 :))

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom