Rock Slider Debate

KenB1010

So do I go with frame mounted rock rails or pinch seam mounted rails. It seems that there are advantages to both.

I like EVO, LOD and Shrockworks for their frame mounted design. I had a shrockworks on my 07 and it was bulletproof. My wife could sorta use it as a step to get in. Some manufactures have rocker protection skins (EVO) available. Do these actually provide more protection or are they more for looks?

The new pinch seam designs seem very stout and have excellent reviews. Some say they provide more clearance. They don't seem to provide as good of a step, as most are only about an inch below the door. In this design I like Hanson and OR-Fab.

What say you? Frame mounted or pinch seam and why?

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I say frame mounted so you risk less damage. My rubi rails bent my pinch seam area so it was a pain to get the rock skins on. The skins don't even touch the body in one area and I had to fill in a half inch gap with silicone.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
I also say frame mounted, my first choice is evo sliders. And after seeing these lod sliders, these would be my second choice. I really like the step on these.
I think on pinch seam sliders, if you get a big hit or land really hard on them, the energy would be transferred to your body panels as overlander said happened to his jeep.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
frame mounted for sure. i had a set of pinch seam mounted steps originally that just bent my pinch seam on an easy hit once. shorty after i got the evo sliders with the custom angle so i would still have a step.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
So do I go with frame mounted rock rails or pinch seam mounted rails. It seems that there are advantages to both.

I like EVO, LOD and Shrockworks for their frame mounted design. I had a shrockworks on my 07 and it was bulletproof. My wife could sorta use it as a step to get in. Some manufactures have rocker protection skins (EVO) available. Do these actually provide more protection or are they more for looks?

The new pinch seam designs seem very stout and have excellent reviews. Some say they provide more clearance. They don't seem to provide as good of a step, as most are only about an inch below the door. In this design I like Hanson and OR-Fab.

What say you? Frame mounted or pinch seam and why?

The Hansons will not hold up to the abuse you will throw at them.

Go with the Evo and ask for the custom angle. It'll work as a step for Susan.

RanchoRubi

Caught the Bug
Even with frame mounted sliders, you will find they will flex(or the body will flex) in certain situations to touch the body. I had this happen with my Lods. The EVO rock skins provide another layer of protection if and when that happens.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The Hansons will not hold up to the abuse you will throw at them.

Go with the Evo and ask for the custom angle. It'll work as a step for Susan.

Unfortunately, Chris is right about this. The Hansons, PJ's and other body mounted rocker guards won't hold up. In theory, they are a better design that offers greater clearance and on the TJ they were the only way I'd go BUT, on a JK with its paper thin sheet metal, time has shown us how body mounted rocker guards simply won't offer the kind of protection that frame mounted ones will. I mean, the rockers themselves hold up great but, over time, the body itself starts to buckle.

As mentioned, you can get the EVO's made with a flatter angle like Tom has and it works great as a step. I've run LoD's in the past and they work great as steps as well. You really can't go wrong with either.

Even with frame mounted sliders, you will find they will flex(or the body will flex) in certain situations to touch the body. I had this happen with my Lods. The EVO rock skins provide another layer of protection if and when that happens.

Actually, a good set of frame mounted rocker guards like EVO or LoD do not flex. Unlike the hard rubber hockey puck like mounts that used to be used on the TJ, YJ and CJ before, the JK comes with true body mounts that are in fact isolators. These isolators provide outstanding road noise absorption but because of it, allow for a significant amount of movement between the frame and body. This is why you may see contact with the cross tubes making contact with the pinch seam or, depending on the rocker guard, contact with the rocker panel as well. Having said that, you are right, the EVO rock skins are a great addition to offer another layer of protection should a hit big enough occur and, will over great looks too :cool:

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
Unfortunately, Chris is right about this. The Hansons, PJ's and other body mounted rocker guards won't hold up. In theory, they are a better design that offers greater clearance and on the TJ they were the only way I'd go BUT, on a JK with its paper thin sheet metal, time has shown us how body mounted rocker guards simply won't offer the kind of protection that frame mounted ones will. I mean, the rockers themselves hold up great but, over time, the body itself starts to buckle.

As mentioned, you can get the EVO's made with a flatter angle like Tom has and it works great as a step. I've run LoD's in the past and they work great as steps as well. You really can't go wrong with either.

Actually, a good set of frame mounted rocker guards like EVO or LoD do not flex. Unlike the hard rubber hockey puck like mounts that used to be used on the TJ, YJ and CJ before, the JK comes with true body mounts that are in fact isolators. These isolators provide outstanding road noise absorption but because of it, allow for a significant amount of movement between the frame and body. This is why you may see contact with the cross tubes making contact with the pinch seam or, depending on the rocker guard, contact with the rocker panel as well. Having said that, you are right, the EVO rock skins are a great addition to offer another layer of protection should a hit big enough occur and, will over great looks too :cool:

I do believe the PJ' are the strongest body mount rocker on the market. The Hanson are not even close to the strength of the PJ's.

That being said, I don't believe either can be compared to the Evo sliders. Apples and Oranges

Ol Bob

I've seen good things written about most warn products and have considered their sliders. They're are body mounted. Any thoughts on their quality and durability?

I have the frame mounted LoD ones. Love them. Not only do they function as a step, but they also provide a sturdy point to use a high lift jack on.

Good luck with your build.

TrailBear

Frame mounted all the way, Evo makes the strongest, LOD are the next best, that's what I have, I have had the tires off the ground on one side,sitting on the slider and they hold with out flexing.

Top Bottom