Steering Column Sticking/Clunking

sitruc

'08 JKU Rubi

My steering wheel appears to have a slight up & down movement and is also sticking/notchy sometimes moving the wheel back and forth. Kinda feels like it's just below the steering wheel. :grayno:

Any ideas? Has anyone else experienced this? :hmm:

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
interesting, and it's like this with the wheel up or down with the tilt steering?

olram30

also check your intermediate shaft. look to see if the boot came loose. the clunking might be transferring up to your wheel.

olram30

i'm not at home to take a picture, but your intermediate shaft looks like a mini drive shaft with splines. there should be a boot that covers it.

sitruc

I'll take a look at the intermediate shaft, but it feels more like it's just below the steering wheel. I grab the top and bottom and move it up and down. :(

olram30

also look by the firewall, where your steering column exits under the hood. there should be a rubber boot, your shaft boot might be slid back. just throwing ideas out.

Last edited:

olram30

here is a diagram, you may have the jk steering wheel clunk. look by circle one, if it's sliding back you should notice the marks where it should be. and a needle attachment on a grease gun to put grease in the spline boot also might help.
lowerintermediateshaft.jpg

Last edited:

olram30

Thanks! I'll definitely check that out.

i think there is a bearing or something in the boot by the firewall, maybe shoot some grease up there also. good luck, keep us informed. because i'm interested also, always trying to learn ..

olram30

hmmm, yeah, i'd start with easy stuff, grease in the boots on the upper and lower intermediate shafts and make sure they haven't moved out of place before we start ripping out steering gear boxes. hopefully someone who's had this problem and fixed it will chime in. i'm pretty sure there is a bearing on the firewall, hopefully that didn't crap out. also check bolts on drag link and other steering components.

Last edited:
A few times I've caught the steering wheel bolt under the drivers airbag, has come loose. Might want to check that.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

I had the steering wheel clunk on my 08 about 90,000km ago. With the help of some info I found on the forums..used those photos and SHOWED the dealer what to do.

They did what was necessary and even covered under warranty! The boot on the intermediate shaft is pulled back, and greased (synthetic 5th wheel) used on the spline interface point, slide boot back and install hose clamp to secure boot.

Not one clunk since worked like a charm at it would do it every day prior.

liljohn850

Gah!!! I thought I was the only one having this issue. I chased it down to the firewall and the bolts around the shaft. But I still have a slight knock. I know what I'm doing tomorrow. yup

sitruc

Problem fixed, turned out to be the steering wheel bolt. Gave it a 1/2 tightening turn and it's solid and smooth as glass now. :clap2::clap2:

Thanks again for all the suggestions and diagrams. :beer::beer::beer:

Curtis

ScoobyCarolanNC

Shot grease into my intermediate shaft boot & I still have a minor clunk. I'll check the steering wheel bolt in the am, but if that's not it what should I check next?

Top Bottom