Ya, I know this is a dead horse, but I've still not decided

BChaffins

I've been struggling for over a month now on what lift hardware to go with. Here in Michigan there are really no rocks to climb. Especially where I'm at, between Detroit and Flint. But there is plenty of forest trails, mud and snow.

I'm starting with a 2008 2dr Sahara with 3.73 gearing

I'm pitching the 18" stock wheels for 17". I'm planning 34-35 tires. I'm considering Goodyear MT/R Kevlar 315 70R 17

My struggle is what lift hardware to go with. I started wanting AEV, but as I learned more I am liking the adjustable control arms over what AEV offers. Now looking at Metal Cloak. My budget is adjustable but I can do much more if I do it in pieces. I'm really leaning toward something like the Metal Cloak with adjustable front track bar, front upper control arms and ARB shocks. This would allow me to add the other control arms and rear track bar later. I'm also not looking for a big lift. Was looking for 2.5 - 3.5. I run with a 3 piece factory freedom top in the winter and non most of the summer.

What would people here at Wayalife suggest for such a build?

Thanks
Brian

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
I'd skip the mtr and go with Goodyear duratrac tires if you want a 315/70 tire. I'd just go with a budget boost for now. I'd also skip past the metalcloak for 34" our 35" tires. If you have flat fenders or trimmed fenders you don't need much lift on a 2 door to clear 35" tires. Just my 2 pennies..

olram30

Another great option is the Rancho 2" sport kit also. Around $400 bucks and call it a day

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I'm with olram30 here, skip the MetalCloak and just a give something like the Rancho 2" Sport kit or even 3" Sport kit a look. It's all you need to clear 35" tires and for your purposes, all you really need period. The kit is made in the USA, quality built and a lot more affordable. As far as tires go, MT/R's are by far the WORST tire I have ever run and would not recommend them. Their directional like tread design causes you to track funny on the highway, they are very difficult to balance and have weak sidewalls. As mentioned, you'd be much better off with a set of Duratracs.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
x3 on skipping the mtr. i had them in a 32. they were ok tires. tracked really weird on the road especially when braking.

JKWrang

Duratracs all the way. They wear well, great on road and off.. killer inclement weather performance. Do it!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

olram30

Duratracs all the way. They wear well, great on road and off.. killer inclement weather performance. Do it!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

I'm wanting to get these for my wife's jeep. We have a lot of snow and ice and they should fit the bill. Plus I think we get a forum discount on a set of 4 if I remember.

BChaffins

Thanks for all the comments. I don't have anyone I know that is also into JKs so I'm sort of on my own trying to make informed decisions. And I just don't trust any local retailer to guide my down the right path.

I am a little confused on the lift though. The only reason I was staying away from the lower priced kits was because of the lack of control arms for caster correction. If I look at the more basic kits should I then also make sure to at least include control arm brackets?

One more piece of information. I live 2 miles down a dirt road that often get pretty rough. Every standard car I've owned normally needs a complete suspension rebuild at some point in its life. We often have periods in the winter where friends and family can't make it down the road to visit. Its my favorite time of year. ;-)

So even though I won't be climbing many rocks its my goal to make things a little tougher then stock.

Thanks

Mikead40

I've been struggling for over a month now on what lift hardware to go with. Here in Michigan there are really no rocks to climb. Especially where I'm at, between Detroit and Flint. But there is plenty of forest trails, mud and snow.

I'm starting with a 2008 2dr Sahara with 3.73 gearing

I'm pitching the 18" stock wheels for 17". I'm planning 34-35 tires. I'm considering Goodyear MT/R Kevlar 315 70R 17

My struggle is what lift hardware to go with. I started wanting AEV, but as I learned more I am liking the adjustable control arms over what AEV offers. Now looking at Metal Cloak. My budget is adjustable but I can do much more if I do it in pieces. I'm really leaning toward something like the Metal Cloak with adjustable front track bar, front upper control arms and ARB shocks. This would allow me to add the other control arms and rear track bar later. I'm also not looking for a big lift. Was looking for 2.5 - 3.5. I run with a 3 piece factory freedom top in the winter and non most of the summer.

What would people here at Wayalife suggest for such a build?

Thanks
Brian

I love my metalcloak lift. Correction - I love the flex & adjustability I get with the control arms, I like - not love - their springs. I've piecemealed my kit together, so I don't have anything other than that and their trac bar. I saw their chromoly drag link snap clean in half last weekend - it wasn't in an extreme situation either. I'm not running their 6-pack shock (seen problems with it - need for frequent adjustments; loss of pressure leading to collapse. To their credit MC replaced the entire set even though only one was having the problem). Most would argue it's an overpriced kit, but I think their control arms are well worth what I paid for them. As has been said, it's probably overkill for what you need. You can always buy the control arms separately later if you really think you need/want them.
Whatever you decide, Good Luck and have fun. :beer:

Mikead40

Every standard car I've owned normally needs a complete suspension rebuild at some point in its life. We often have periods in the winter where friends and family can't make it down the road to visit. Its my favorite time of year. ;-)

So even though I won't be climbing many rocks its my goal to make things a little tougher then stock.

Thanks

It's not a standard car - it's a JK, even stock, it'll be fine. :thumb: :rock:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for all the comments. I don't have anyone I know that is also into JKs so I'm sort of on my own trying to make informed decisions. And I just don't trust any local retailer to guide my down the right path.

As you shouldn't. Most retailers will push whatever they have in stock or what they can make the most profit on.

I am a little confused on the lift though. The only reason I was staying away from the lower priced kits was because of the lack of control arms for caster correction. If I look at the more basic kits should I then also make sure to at least include control arm brackets?

Well, to be clear, the only reason why I would recommend a lower priced kit is because of what your needs really are. You really don't need more than about 2"-2.5" of lift to clear the 35" tires you say you will be running and on the kind of trails you have in your neck of the woods. I personally would NOT recommend control arm drop brackets as they are a cheap solution to a problem and one that will effectively lower a point on your Jeep that you just paid good money to raise. Not everyone feels the need to add more caster with such a small lift but if you really feel the need for more caster, you can always add adjustable control arms at that point and time.

One more piece of information. I live 2 miles down a dirt road that often get pretty rough. Every standard car I've owned normally needs a complete suspension rebuild at some point in its life. We often have periods in the winter where friends and family can't make it down the road to visit. Its my favorite time of year. ;-)

Try driving your cars or even your Jeep with just a bit less air in your tires. That should help quite a bit. Otherwise, if ride comfort is a concern, I might recommend that you look into something like an EVO Enforcer kit. I can assure you that even at street pressure in your tires, it will offer the softest ride out of any standard coil lift you can get.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Right - sorry, not the arms themselves flexing, the movement that the duroflex joints allow.

And it's the duroflex joints that I'm not real impressed with. I mean, yeah, they allow for a significant amount of rotation but, I can assure you that I have WAY MORE FLEX than your Jeep and I'm just using tried and tested Johnny Joints. I've had the opportunity to do a series of bench tests with uniballs, johnny joints and the duroflex joints and I really didn't like the way the rubber has to rotate inside the un-lubricated joint housing. Of course, we have already been seeing this with them...

MC-joint-01.jpg

MC-joint-02.jpg

Also, I think they have finally changed the design of their joint housings but only after people started to see this happen...

mc-01.jpg

mc-02.jpg

That's the problem with new companies trying to do new things. They may have great marketing but really, that's about all they have right now. This is not to say that they won't make improvement in the future but for me personally, I'll stick with what I know works and what Ultra 4 racers use.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Pretty sure metalcloak says to lube the duroflex joints in the housings...

On assembly. How do you lube it afterwards? Take the whole thing apart again or, does their magic lube just work forever? :idontknow:

My time tested and widely used Johnny Joints that DO NOT limit my 14" of vertical travel have zerk fittings.

BTW, I have yet to find the need to rebuild ANY of my Johnny Joints of which I installed back in 2010. That's over 80,000 miles and all the trail runs I've done during that time.

Here's a shot of my Johnny Joints limiting my flex....
main.php

olram30

My jeep has stock suspension right now, if I were to add these MC arms would I get a increase in flex? Please don't tell me I'm limited by my shock length..

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
My jeep has stock suspension right now, if I were to add these arms would I get a increase in flex? Please don't tell me I'm limited by my shock length..

Duroflex joints use magic bestowed upon them from rainbow unicorns. You most certainly will see an increase in flex and virility. But, if it lasts more than 4 hours, you should seek medical treatment right away.

Top Bottom