suspension droop, how does one maximize articulation

Wethy

so i was at the girlfriends house tonight and her father has a silverado that he just put a set of 285/70/17's on, and i parked beside him in the jeep. looked at his tires and compared them to my 255/75/17's and i only noticed about 1 inch total tire height gain(i know they're wider too :p), and it got me to thinking that's too small... obviously i want 35's now!!! having now explored some with my jeep and seen what the trails around me have to offer i have a better idea of what type of rock crawling is available to me i know what type of terrain i want to be able to do. So the main thing is LCG keeping it low to the ground and having suspension that is able to droop the tires to keep it on the ground right? i know some guys like Eddie and others run the evo DTD which keeps their ride height around 3-4" lift but gives them like 12-14" droop iirc

the way i see it a tire can only go as high as the bumpstops let it go correct?
and if i went 35's with a 2.5" lift i wouldn't get as much droop as if i went with a 3-4" lift because of the coil and shock length right?

so the real question i want to know is if i do get 35's other than low centre of gravity and price(probably), what are the benefits of keeping it low, and how would you maximize articulation so that you get the most out of your lift, get long travel shocks with coil retainers, and limiting straps? or are there other options? also would there be, if any, benefits in getting a taller lift for 35's than the smaller lift?

Cheers Wethy

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
so i was at the girlfriends house tonight and her father has a silverado that he just put a set of 285/70/17's on, and i parked beside him in the jeep. looked at his tires and compared them to my 255/75/17's and i only noticed about 1 inch total tire height gain(i know they're wider too :p), and it got me to thinking that's too small... obviously i want 35's now!!! having now explored some with my jeep and seen what the trails around me have to offer i have a better idea of what type of rock crawling is available to me i know what type of terrain i want to be able to do. So the main thing is LCG keeping it low to the ground and having suspension that is able to droop the tires to keep it on the ground right? i know some guys like Eddie and others run the evo DTD which keeps their ride height around 3-4" lift but gives them like 12-14" droop iirc

and if i went 35's with a 2.5" lift i wouldn't get as much droop as if i went with a 3-4" lift because of the coil and shock length right?

so the real question i want to know is if i do get 35's other than low centre of gravity and price(probably), what are the benefits of keeping it low, and how would you maximize articulation so that you get the most out of your lift, get long travel shocks with coil retainers, and limiting straps? or are there other options? also would there be, if any, benefits in getting a taller lift for 35's than the smaller lift?

Cheers Wethy

You can get more out of your suspension of everything is working together. Bump stops the right length so you don't rub your tires on the fenders plus bottom out your shocks are important. nice springs that give a good ride. Shocks play a big part.
If you are going to try to run a short lift and long shocks, you may end up not getting much out of your suspension in the end. You're probably going to need longer bumps stops that limit up travel and your springs will probably fall out at full droop.
I'd definitely go with a lift based off your tire size. Not too tall or to short

Last edited:

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
We had a pretty good thread about limit straps the other day, after Eddie gave some really good insight behind them, I gotta agree they aren't needed on a regular coil lift.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

For the most part, yes really, that's all you'd want them to go. While bump stops help prevent rubbing at a full flex, their primary purpose is to help prevent the over compression of your coils. In other words, if you allow your coils to compress to much, they will not return to their original height. So, if you were to install a 2.5" lift, you really want to run that with about 2.5" taller bump stop extensions.

Taller coils will allow you to run longer shocks it is they that will allow you to have a greater amount of flex. However, with 35" tires, you really don't want to go any taller than 3" if you wish to keep your center of gravity down.

so the real question i want to know is if i do get 35's other than low centre of gravity and price(probably), what are the benefits of keeping it low

A low center of gravity is the primary reason why I would keep your ride height low. The other reason is, the taller you go, the more firm your coils will be, the more components you will want to help keep your Jeep riding well, the more parts you will need due to the severe angles things like your drive shafts will be sitting in.

and how would you maximize articulation so that you get the most out of your lift, get long travel shocks with coil retainers, and limiting straps? or are there other options?

You have to work within your means and there's only so much you can do with a small lift. And really, if you're only going to be running 35's, a small lift is really all that you should be looking at. Limiting straps may help prevent too much droop but if you're really running a shock that long, droop will be the least of your problems. Your real problem will be bottoming out your shocks. Look, I know you want to have your cake and eat it too but if it were really easy to just get more flex, everyone would be doing it. If you have the funds, something like an EVO coil over kit will help out a lot if only because their upper towers physically sit higher than the factory mounts.

also would there be, if any, benefits in getting a taller lift for 35's than the smaller lift?

Benefits would be a greater clearance, better approach, departure and breakover angles but, your smallish tires will still be your weak point. And again, you will need and want a LOT more components to do it right. Again, you really should just focus on working within your means and use the time to learn how to be a better driver.

Wethy

ha ha i believe you about the cake and eating it too! but doesnt everyone want that! but thats kind of what i thought, and within a few hours of me theres nothing that a small 2.5-3" lift and 35's wouldnt clear saving up the extra cash and stepping up to 37's would be, dare i say it.... useless for me, aside from looking like a boss atleast! and since id rather do it once than over again i figure i might as well find out all the info i can before i make the purchase before i was thinking something like the rancho 2 inch sport with the 285's but since i'm now considering 35s i feel like the 3" trail lift with either 9000xls or maybe some billsteins 5100's. plus i figure ill get more lift than advertised from what i've read everywhere everywinter i work at a farm that pays me quite well and its all cash so thats where the lift/tire money'll come from. might as well do it right the first time and not have to do it twice. quality over quantity!

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
This was my 13' 2 door with 285s and a TF leveling kit, just for reference. If I had to do it over again, I would have done 35s. With that said, I dont think it looked bad at all on 285s. Cut the fenders, and those tires would look tiny though.

IMG_0323.jpg
IMG_0325.jpg
IMG_0328.jpg

Top Bottom