Jackal01's JKU build

Jackal01

I guess I will start one of these thingys. I joined the forum owning my first Jeep, a 2012 WK2 4x4 Laredo. I pretty much put every mod on it that was made “for it” (2.5” spacer lift, exhaust, bumper-winch mount, tire carrier, wheels and tires, tuner). I owned it for about 16 months. At about a year into it I discovered WAL and the videos. It took a lot of patience to not sell the WK2 right then but I thought that I wouldn't ever want to build a rig like the ones in the videos. Fast forward to a few months ago and a co-worker said they were interested in my WK2. The plan fell through but the itch to buy a JKU was still going strong. Found a 2011 (I wanted the new interior but couldn't find a JKU with the 3.6L that was in my price range) JKUS with 40K miles. Ran well. Interior in good shape. Just the top had a lot of wear and two dents from when the previous owners didn't attach the door retaining straps and swung hard enough to dent the cowl. I had enough saved up to do my first phase of 3. My goal was to get it lifted and put some “35s” under it. As others have seen in a few threads I went with the following stuff for my first phase. I normally name my vehicles female but I couldn't come up with a good one so I went with R2 (R2-D2) since I wanted to throw in a little blue. The wife and I go to CO every year and we go to hit up all the trails in San Juans. Hopefully next year we can hit Moab.

Bold means completed.

Phase 1 (mid 2014)
1.5" Spidertrax spacers
TF 2.5” BB
C Gussetts
Cut fenders and install 1" amber marker lights as per the write up.
Bestop Under seat lock box
AEV Procal
Rugged Ridge Mats
Truck Lites
JW Speaker fog lights
Dead pedal
Highrock Tire carrier
Northridge LED Dome lights
Procomp shocks

Phase 2 (early 2014)
PSC front and rear bumpers
Quadratec 9000 synthetic winch
KC HID offroad lights
Currie front LCA
Rigid backup lights
Tuffy security enclosure

Phase 3 (2015/2016)
EVO Tranny and Connection skid
EVO Quarter Pounder
Gen Right Hood latches
Tuffy Hood lock
ARB Twin plus MORE mount
EVO Antenna Mount
Firestik 2

Enforcer with King 2.0s
Synergy Tie Rod
Synergy DLF
Synergy Ball Joints
Reid Knuckles (replaced due to my boring the DLF hole too large)
PSC tire carrier (sold)
Crawler Conceptz tire carrier
ATX Chamber Pro 2
ZEON 10S

CB radio PC687
Evo oilpan skid
Evo decals
Evo Sliders/skins
Nutsert tool

Pioneer Nav
Kicker sound bar speakers
Alpine front 4 speaker

Phase 4 (2017)
PR44 front, ARB, 5.13, prosteers
Rear gearing 5.13
Ten Factory Chormoly axles
37" Cooper Discoverer SST or Nitto Trail/Mud Grap
PSC Hydro steering

Thanks for all the input from those that have seen my others threads and posts! :yup:

At the dealership:
IMAG0038_zpsamq3mfll.jpg

A few days later picked up our 3 month-old GSD puppy, Zero, from the breeder. (This pic was before I put him in his harness and seat belt-strap) Always wanted a GSD. :rock:
IMAG0106_zps6rz9us4q.jpg

Christmas in July!
IMAG0110_zpsthp3n2or.jpg

IMAG0132_zpsjusqnhz1.jpg

IMAG0105_zpssc1rf5dx.jpg

As he sits today. Had tint put on this past weekend.
IMAG0165_zps2vojyzjh.jpg

IMAG0164_zpsrfcbrshx.jpg

IMAG0166_zpsarw33rfb.jpg

Last edited:

Jackal01

My first of two Badges of Honor came in. Granted the trail was done with the Grand Cherokee I had. Not sure what to do with it now! Waiting for Ophir Pass to come in.

1408205299041.jpg

Sent from my 831C using WAYALIFE mobile app

Jackal01

Noticed the passenger side Truck Lite is loose compared to the driver side. Both are tightened all the way. I haven't noticed it being a problem but wondering if anyone else has this "issue". It isn't getting anymore loose...just in general it is not as secured as the other.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
Noticed the passenger side Truck Lite is loose compared to the driver side. Both are tightened all the way. I haven't noticed it being a problem but wondering if anyone else has this "issue". It isn't getting anymore loose...just in general it is not as secured as the other.

jeep looks good.
the loose light is actually the jeep and not the light. some electrical tape to snug it up is an easy fix.

Jackal01

Thanks, fellas. :thumb:

I think I am going to leave the headlight as-is. It isn't rattling or directly bothering me. Thanks for the tip, though. If I feel the need to "fix it" I will just do that.

Jackal01

Bought the JW Speaker Fog Lights SmokinV10 was selling. Installed them as soon as I got home last night. 1409331390984.jpg 1409331379337.jpg 1409331367916.jpg

Jackal01

Still have them.

I installed Speaker FOG lights not headlights. :)

Jackal01

They are outstanding though. Too bright for non-inclement weather diving, IMO. Even aimed correctly they throw a lot of light really close so he eyes want to focus closer in than further out.

grnt87

Nice looking Jeep! SO do you plan on taking the "R2" theme to the body? That theme has potential to be really unique. Look forward to seeing the progress as you go along.

Jackal01

Nice looking Jeep! SO do you plan on taking the "R2" theme to the body? That theme has potential to be really unique. Look forward to seeing the progress as you go along.

I do. Nothing like a design on the body or hood of an R2 unit but more just blue accents throughout. Ie: shackles, grab handles, etc. I don't want it to be tacky so I'll just see how it goes.

And thanks.

Jackal01

Jeep is looking great, big difference form the stealership pic

Thanks. Amazing what just a budget boost, fender trim and some 35s can make. I think I am going to take advantage of Ranchos promotion on shocks and buy some 9000s. I was gonna go Bilsteins but they both seem pretty similar. Anyone have input on 5100s or 9000s?

Another question somewhat related: I'll be doing a 3" Enforcer, 37" tire kit, lift next year. With the 2.5" budget boost can the 3" RS9000s work or will the extra travel be detrimental? I wanted to put some new shocks on now to help with the ride and then use the same shocks with the Enforcer.

Jackal01

I got tired of the stock shocks bottoming out on nearly every bump so I ordered some Rancho RS5000s today. They should hold me over until next year when I do the Enforcer. Sucks to spend money twice on shocks but with Ranchos promo right now I am spending less than $170 on some decent shocks that I can sell when I upgrade later on. :yup:

bkac

Caught the Bug
Thanks. Amazing what just a budget boost, fender trim and some 35s can make. I think I am going to take advantage of Ranchos promotion on shocks and buy some 9000s. I was gonna go Bilsteins but they both seem pretty similar. Anyone have input on 5100s or 9000s?

Another question somewhat related: I'll be doing a 3" Enforcer, 37" tire kit, lift next year. With the 2.5" budget boost can the 3" RS9000s work or will the extra travel be detrimental? I wanted to put some new shocks on now to help with the ride and then use the same shocks with the Enforcer.

I have the 5100's and really like the ride but I hear the 9000's can be dialed in even better for your likings. I don't think you can go wrong with the 9000's for the price.

Sent from my VS980 4G using WAYALIFE mobile app

Jackal01

I have the 5100's and really like the ride but I hear the 9000's can be dialed in even better for your likings. I don't think you can go wrong with the 9000's for the price.

Sent from my VS980 4G using WAYALIFE mobile app

I only bought cheap since in a year I will be going with the Enforcer 4" with King 2.5s. No sense in spending "a lot" of money twice on shocks. I considered the 9000s and 5100s but with this Jeep I decided I will not settle like I have with all my other vehicles and my previous Jeep. So if it takes me longer to save for what I want I would rather it be that than to settle on something I truly didn't want.

Top Bottom