Mounting a rack on a hardtop

bkac

Caught the Bug
Does anyone have any thoughts about mounting a yakima rack system to the hardtop? How much weight is safe for the hardtop itself? I really don't want a fullbody rack system because I take the top off a lot and don't want to deal with removing/flipping the rack each time. The other option it's the MBRP system but it seems like a lot of $$$ for what you get.

Sent from my SCH-I925 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Josh27

Ive got the Yakima track system and I love it. At first I was worried about how much weight it would hold but as soon as i got mine installed I was very impressed. I mainly use it for the ski rack and bikes but I have put probably about 150 pounds of plywood and lumber on it with no visual signs of stress. I even lift hardtop with a hoist I made in my garage by the rack and it works perfectly. I don't know about you but It holds more than enough for me!
snow3.jpg

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
There is also the surco safari roof rack that doesn't drill into the top at all has a weight limit of 150 I think. It is also a little higher at about six inches from the top of thw basket to the top of the hardtop. I was going to get it but I realized I didn't need it.

2014 JKUR

Irish JK

Caught the Bug
Ive got the Yakima track system and I love it. At first I was worried about how much weight it would hold but as soon as i got mine installed I was very impressed. I mainly use it for the ski rack and bikes but I have put probably about 150 pounds of plywood and lumber on it with no visual signs of stress. I even lift hardtop with a hoist I made in my garage by the rack and it works perfectly. I don't know about you but It holds more than enough for me!
View attachment 96155

Cool picture.

bkac

Caught the Bug
I don't mind drilling holes in the hardtop at all just was wondering how much weight is too much for the hardtop itself without doing something that mounts to the body to help support the weight. I have a yakima mega load warrior and I can put a lot of crap in it, just didn't want to overweigh it. I'm thinking no more then 150-200lbs. Things like a tent, water, Weber Q, etc... For some reason i never seem to pack lite. I'll blame it on the wife and kids, Heck i always love to be prepared for anything. Lol

Sent from my VS980 4G using WAYALIFE mobile app

MTG

Caught the Bug
I've used a yakima rack with the rain gutter mounts for snowboards. Worked fine at speeds up to 75 mph. I am sure it would work for light camping gear. I think I put a pic in the overlander/roofrack/snorkel thread. I'll see if I can find it.

Top Bottom