Need some advice on Body mods

gripenfelter

At the end of August my jeep is headed to www.camoliner.com to be coated. The whole outside, including hardtop, will be coated and the inside of the hardtop Mercedes Tektite Gray. I already have a AEV Hood, PS Crushers front and rear, and a few other items to get installed and coated at the same time.

So this weekend I will be trimming the pinch seems in prep for the 37s and lift. What other items would everyone suggest doing in prep for the coating? Any body related items you wish you had done before paint? Let me know.

Thanks

mattfl

At the end of August my jeep is headed to www.camoliner.com to be coated. The whole outside, including hardtop, will be coated and the inside of the hardtop Mercedes Tektite Gray. I already have a AEV Hood, PS Crushers front and rear, and a few other items to get installed and coated at the same time.

So this weekend I will be trimming the pinch seems in prep for the 37s and lift. What other items would everyone suggest doing in prep for the coating? Any body related items you wish you had done before paint? Let me know.

Thanks

That should look sweet. Mind saying how much the process is gonna cost for the whole Jeep?

gripenfelter

That should look sweet. Mind saying how much the process is gonna cost for the whole Jeep?

It's going to run $6k which includes total teardown and reassemble, coating the inside and outside of the hardtop, mounting the hood and fenders, custom rubicon graphic in black on the hood (I attached), extra UV top coat, and misc.

Attachments

• IMG_20130902_110011_686.jpg
    IMG_20130902_110011_686.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 100

mattfl

It's going to run $6k which includes total teardown and reassemble, coating the inside and outside of the hardtop, mounting the hood and fenders, custom rubicon graphic in black on the hood (I attached), extra UV top coat, and misc.

Are you shipping your Jeep to them or is there a local place that'll do it?

gripenfelter

Are you shipping your Jeep to them or is there a local place that'll do it?

Its about a 4 hour drive for me so I'll trailer it there. They do arrange shipping for out of area customers. They are a great group and really helpful. They will work with you on anything you need.

So this is not a typical Bedliner process, so noone locally does it. This is a Kevlar lining with UV protection. This has a lifetime warranty that covers UV degradation, workmanship, fading, etc... With this I hoping that I can for go the expense of a little body armor cost. I have seen people take an ice pick to this coating and not leave a mark.

Last edited:

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
Its about a 4 hour drive for me so I'll trailer it there. They do arrange shipping for out of area customers. They are a great group and really helpful. They will work with you on anything you need.

For 6k I would hope so. Most people trim pinch seams if your jeep already didn't come trimmed from the factory.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
$6,000 to do this??? :eek:

Well, if there's one thing I like about Jeeps, it's that everyone can build it up however they want. I personally don't know why anyone would want to bedline the body of one but hey, to each their own :yup:

gripenfelter

$6,000 to do this??? :eek:

Well, if there's one thing I like about Jeeps, it's that everyone can build it up however they want. I personally don't know why anyone would want to bedline the body of one but hey, to each their own :yup:

So I've been asked this question.....why? Well it comes down to appearances. I'm going to have to paint or use regular liner on the fenders and hood anyways. I like my vehicles to look as good as they perform and this is not your everyday bedliner. So there are really several reasons for this....

First is mesquite tree scratches....I hate having tree and thorn scratches down the side of my jeep. So protection is one reason for it, again I've seen a ice pick taken to this coating without making a mark.

Second is sound and heat. The coating is a natural sound deadening and an insulator. That is why I am coating the inside of the hardtop. It gets hot here (up to 110+ summer and my Jeep is black) and below zero sometimes in the winter.

Third, it looks cool.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So I've been asked this question.....why? Well it comes down to appearances. I'm going to have to paint or use regular liner on the fenders and hood anyways. I like my vehicles to look as good as they perform and this is not your everyday bedliner. So there are really several reasons for this....

First is mesquite tree scratches....I hate having tree and thorn scratches down the side of my jeep. So protection is one reason for it, again I've seen a ice pick taken to this coating without making a mark.

Second is sound and heat. The coating is a natural sound deadening and an insulator. That is why I am coating the inside of the hardtop. It gets hot here (up to 110+ summer and my Jeep is black) and below zero sometimes in the winter.

Third, it looks cool.

Like I said, to each their own. I am in no ways criticizing you for wanting to this - I just couldn't see myself ever doing it. Even if it doesn't fade, bedlined Jeeps have a way of being dirt/mud magnets and are difficult to clean. If scratches on the paint are really a concern, there are a few aftermarket products that are applied like a wrap or are magnetic and can be removed that will help offer good protection. Of course, I just buff out my paint with some wax from time to time and that works great for my needs. The sound deadening is a perk I could see but, I prefer to run a soft top. As far as cool factor goes, I always say that people should do to their Jeeps what they want. It is afterall yours :yup:

gripenfelter

Like I said, to each their own. I am in no ways criticizing you for wanting to this - I just couldn't see myself ever doing it. Even if it doesn't fade, bedlined Jeeps have a way of being dirt/mud magnets and are difficult to clean. If scratches on the paint are really a concern, there are a few aftermarket products that are applied like a wrap or are magnetic and can be removed that will help offer good protection. Of course, I just buff out my paint with some wax from time to time and that works great for my needs. The sound deadening is a perk I could see but, I prefer to run a soft top. As far as cool factor goes, I always say that people should do to their Jeeps what they want. It is afterall yours :yup:

I know you wasn't criticizing...people wonder and I just wanted to breakdown my thought process behind it.

I agree with people have all kinds of different things they do to their jeeps. That's what I love about them and why I bought one and sold one of my vettes. Some like $6k liners and others like LS swaps for more power. ;)

Top Bottom