Door Rattle Fix

Motoxneve

Hello everyone, a little preface on to my problem that I've had since day one. I have a 2013 JKUR10A and when I would remove my hard top and there was no longer anything pressing against the top of the driver side rear door, every time I went over a bump it would rattle and drive me CRAZY. I know there are many threads dedicated to the infamous door rattle and I am aware that there is a TSB out there for it which call for the technician to just simply "apply grease to the striker plate and cycle the door" which I assure you I had no luck for me. I know others have had varying degrees of luck with the electrical tape fix as well but it is a temporary fix. I just wanted to post up my seemingly more long term fix that I think looks good as well. All you need is a tube of plasti-dip (not the aerosol)

here are the steps:
  • Remove latch plate and backing plate with Torx bit
  • Clean latching bar with soap and water and dry it
  • Dip just the hoop into the tube of plasti-dip (you may need to hold the tube at an angle to get adequate coverage) and be sure not to coat the flat plate
  • Let dry for at least 4 hours
  • Reinstall backing plate and latch plate

latch 2.jpg latch.jpg

JayKay

Caught the Bug
curious how you did that since there are only two holes with self centering torx screws

What I meant to say is that I adjusted the striker, not the latch. The plate on the back is a "pinch" plate. Just loosen the torx bolts slightly, enough to move it with light taps of a hammer, then tighten them up and check alignment. I'm not criticizing your fix, I thought about it myself, but thought the plasti dip is the same as the electrical tape fix and would have to be redone over time.

Motoxneve

What I meant to say is that I adjusted the striker, not the latch. The plate on the back is a "pinch" plate. Just loosen the torx bolts slightly, enough to move it with light taps of a hammer, then tighten them up and check alignment. I'm not criticizing your fix, I thought about it myself, but thought the plasti dip is the same as the electrical tape fix and would have to be redone over time.

oh sweet, thanks! I'll have to try that if (probably when) the plasti-dip decides to give up :thumb:

JayKay

Caught the Bug
oh sweet, thanks! I'll have to try that if (probably when) the plasti-dip decides to give up :thumb:

You don't wanna move them a lot, otherwise the door will drag when opening or closing. Just move them enough to take up the slack in the latch.

Jk958

Got a really annoying rattle in my hard top. I just ignore it and consider it the joys of having a jeep !

xkid

I have one also. It's more like a buzzing sound. Wierd.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Cjd959

Door sound pissing me off

HEy guys. I'm new to the thread and a new owner of a 2014 Wrangler Unlimited.
I have the same problem with my door rattling, seems like the window is making the noise
With the frame. I tried the tape and also moving the striker in toward the interior of the
Jeep. I also have a Sunrider Sunroof top from Bestop which I'm going to take off
and put the Hard Top back in since that is also making some noise. Can the striker be moved
Up or Down to fix this problem? Has anyone tried putting weatherstrip around the door or existing
strip? Thanks.

GraniteCrystal

HEy guys. I'm new to the thread and a new owner of a 2014 Wrangler Unlimited.
I have the same problem with my door rattling, seems like the window is making the noise
With the frame. I tried the tape and also moving the striker in toward the interior of the
Jeep. I also have a Sunrider Sunroof top from Bestop which I'm going to take off
and put the Hard Top back in since that is also making some noise. Can the striker be moved
Up or Down to fix this problem? Has anyone tried putting weatherstrip around the door or existing
strip? Thanks.
Holy thread revival batman!

Stop over in the Hive Us a Wave forum and introduce yourself.

If rattling is window, I doubt moving the striker would do anything. Under warranty still?

Top Bottom