need help with a stuck oul filter.

dunstan74

I would really appreciate sone input on hiw to fix my massive stuff up/lack of using my brain. I was changing my jeeps oil filter and the tool I used crushed if really badly without budging it at all. A internet search told me lots of people stick a screw driver through and wrench it off that way, well that worked great until the screw driver sliced the whole thing in half making a huge mess of it!! So looking at the picture so amy have a clue how I can get this sucker off??

ForumRunner_20140821_070608.jpg

Brankz

I would really appreciate sone input on hiw to fix my massive stuff up/lack of using my brain. I was changing my jeeps oil filter and the tool I used crushed if really badly without budging it at all. A internet search told me lots of people stick a screw driver through and wrench it off that way, well that worked great until the screw driver sliced the whole thing in half making a huge mess of it!! So looking at the picture so amy have a clue how I can get this sucker off??

View attachment 96353

Stick something in the holes and try to twisted, if not I seen this socked with like sticks coming out of the top you can use that to brake it loose, or the a pipe wrench and brake it losse from the middle

dunstan74

Is there any chance of damaging the area thr filter attaches to the engine poking thinh through the holes?

jeff_in_rc

How about using a long punch and using it to tap the filter in one of the holes at the base to un-screw it?
A few taps might do it but don't hit it too hard as you could tear the base as well. Good Luck!

bkac

Caught the Bug
Take a screwdriver and a light hammer and try to tap it in the direction to loosen it. Just be careful because the housing is aluminum. Spray some pb-blaster around the outside of the filter and let it sit for a few. Just an idea. That really stinks, don't go back there for an oil change. The filter should basically only be hand tightened when installed to prevent this issue.

Sent from my VS980 4G using WAYALIFE mobile app

dunstan74

Take a screwdriver and a light hammer and try to tap it in the direction to loosen it. Just be careful because the housing is aluminum. Spray some pb-blaster around the outside of the filter and let it sit for a few. Just an idea. That really stinks, don't go back there for an oil change. The filter should basically only be hand tightened when installed to prevent this issue.

Thanks for your help, this is the first change since buying the jeep from the previous owner so they must have overtightened it alot then. This thing just wouldn't budget

bkac

Caught the Bug
Thanks for your help, this is the first change since buying the jeep from the previous owner so they must have overtightened it alot then. This thing just wouldn't budget

Good luck with it! A beer at this point might help, maybe even a 6-pack. :eek:

scooter k

For future reference, use a strap wrench with a 1/2" drive extension and ratchet. It'll grip really hard and will crush it some but will get it loose.

jeeeep

Hooked
maybe it's the way the photo appears but the way it's crushed it looks like you were tightening and not loosening. when using a screwdriver tap gently and move around the inner holes so you distribute the force.

Good luck!

hydrohut

Same as all the above but remember you are going anti clockwise to undo and if you damage the base that it's screwed to then that's a whole new can of worms. If you could make something that just fits into two of those holes (on opposite sides to each other) and gently turn it that would be the safest way. If your not confidant perhaps tow it down to your local garage and save yourself the stress.
Even oil filters that are tightened correctly have a habit of becoming stuck like that over time so it's hard to blame the guy who serviced it really. Good luck.

dunstan74

Yeah its on its way to the shop im not messing around more than I have already thanks for everyones input and suggestions. learnt a valuable lesson to take more care with simple tasks, live and learn I suppose!

StrizzyChris

That is the exact reason you don't use a wrench to tighten oil filters... hand tight only!

THIS!!! I have never used a tool to perform a filter change in my life. It only takes a little bit of leverage from one of those tools to accidentally tighten it too much and become a bitch to remove. Good luck getting it off!

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
THIS!!! I have never used a tool to perform a filter change in my life. It only takes a little bit of leverage from one of those tools to accidentally tighten it too much and become a bitch to remove. Good luck getting it off!

How do you remove the filter cap on the pentastar? Just kidding, that's another reason I like the new engines, oil changes are so much easier.

Top Bottom