P0455 Code, Need some help tracking it down.. please

aaronstephen

so my 2009 JK threw the P0455 code saying I have a large leak in the evap system. I've checked around the evap canister a bit... checking the hoses and electrical plugin and all seems ok. I have also been getting the gas cap reading on the dash as well. I have since replaced the gas cap with a new one and it is still throwing both codes. from those who have dealt with this, where can I check to find the problem? I'd like to fix this myself and save a little coin. Thank you in advance.

StrizzyChris

so my 2009 JK threw the P0455 code saying I have a large leak in the evap system. I've checked around the evap canister a bit... checking the hoses and electrical plugin and all seems ok. I have also been getting the gas cap reading on the dash as well. I have since replaced the gas cap with a new one and it is still throwing both codes. from those who have dealt with this, where can I check to find the problem? I'd like to fix this myself and save a little coin. Thank you in advance.

Are you running your EVAP in the stock location or did you do a relocation? Kinda obvious question, but was it damaged or hit on the trail recently? Also have you checked the hoses for cracks or dry rot?

aaronstephen

It does have an aftermarket skid but I'll remove that to get a closer look at things. I'll also check the hoses out. It's still in the stock location.

10frank9

Web Wheeler
Well I did a write up a while back about an 0456 code I got which is the small Evap leak. Turned out the battery corroded a small hole in an EVap line under the hood. I remedied it by covering it with a piece of rubber hose. The line is right next to the battery and had a pinhole leak.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1408740216.934079.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1408740224.730123.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1408740248.833113.jpg

May not be your solution, but you can at least rule it out. :yup:

Edit: BTW this was on my 07 JK.

jims68

Also check the valve on back of the EVAP. This little canister has a plastic vertical valve that can get stuck. There is a small tab on the bottom you push in then can rotate the assembly to take it off. Look inside and make sure the valve goes up and down freely. If not replace and make sure you hear a click when replacing the electrical connection.

aaronstephen

Also check the valve on back of the EVAP. This little canister has a plastic vertical valve that can get stuck. There is a small tab on the bottom you push in then can rotate the assembly to take it off. Look inside and make sure the valve goes up and down freely. If not replace and make sure you hear a click when replacing the electrical connection.

Did what you suggested and looked inside the assembly once removed. Nothing moves freely but there is a rattle if I shake it??? Assuming that's not good?

jims68

If you look inside you should see a cylinder that slides by the hole you are looking in. But if it rattles that means it's free.

Top Bottom