Upgrading Dusty

BChaffins

I picked up a 2008 2Dr Sahara, 6 speed manual and 3.73 gearing with factory limited slip about 4 months ago. We were looking for another 4x4 and this fit the bill mostly do to it having only 40k miles on it. Looks like it came from a single owner who had it in Northern Canada before it went through a repo and came back to the states. It still had original tires and brakes. It also has the 3 piece Freedom hardtop, but no soft top. It also has factory engine block heater and a batter heater.

My wife has always named all of our vehicles and this one became Dusty after Philip Seymour Hoffman's part Dusty in Twister, one of our favorite movies.

After getting Dusty home the first project was to check over everything and look at repairing the e-brake which didn't budge at all. I discovered that the brakes were shot and the e-brake was rusted tight and the rear rotors were pitted pretty bad with rust. It looks like Dusty spent her whole life in the snow.

A replacement of all the rotors, pads and a full rebuild of the e-brake put everything back in perfect operation. I installed a PowerStop kit and have had no problems. During the brake job I also discovered the passenger side front axle u-joint was shot. There was noticeable play on the bearing caps. Since I wanted to replace the axle lube anyway I figured this was a good time to have both u-joints replaced and check the seals. The passenger side seal was leaking just a little so I decided to go ahead and replace the seals and install new covers. After getting the seals and all the socket extensions I could borrow I had my makeshift seal installer ready to go. A couple of Riddler axle covers and Amsoil Gear Lube and the job was complete in a Saturday afternoon.

From there It was a list of things to make Dusty mine.

* Quadratec Floor Liners
* Grab handles
* Oscar Mike Star Decal for the hood
* Smittybilt GEAR Tailgate Cover
* Besttop Trail Cover for those Michigan days that I don't feel like putting the hard top back on.
* Spiderweb Shade top
* Harken Hoister
* Daystar Hood Wranglers
* Breedlove Antenna mount for my VHF/UHF antenna (https://breedlovemounts.com/)
* TrekArmor Seat covers on the way
* All oils changed to Amsoil

Dusty.jpg

Dusty also came with the RER Navigation radio, which I was indifferent to. The LCD was scratched pretty badly but it seemed to work. Since getting Dusty I've upgraded the radio software, the Gracenote DB and replaced the LCD with a new replacement part I got from Ebay. I do electronics for a living and did the actual LCD replacement and not one of the removed radio fronts. The LCD cost $125 as a NEW part.

new-lcd.jpg
new-lcd2.jpg

I also installed my Kenwood TM D700 VHF/UHF radio and run APRS. The Breedlove antenna mount is one of the best I've ever found.

antenna1.jpg
antenna2.jpg
antenna3.jpg

We are getting ready to head to the Rocky's in Colorado for vacation. We rented a cabin at about 8,500 ft alt. Not a Jeep vacation, just going to kick back and unplug from the net with the exception of my wife, Ham Radio and our 10 month old German Shepard.

After we return from vacation the real build will start. I'm planning a moderate lift, wheels and tires. I've connected with a person on this list for a set if low mileage Goodyear Duratracs 315/70-17's on black Procomp wheels. I've planed to get rid of the 18" wheels from the beginning. Can't wait to get them early October.

I'm still struggling with which lift to do, but am starting to consider one of the sport lifts to get me started. I'd really like to do a Evo Enforcer but I'm afraid it might give me more lift then I want right now due to being a 2 door. I was not planning to replace any drive shafts this year. But I do want a lift kit that will let me continue adding to it without having to just start over. The ones on the top of my list are Evo Enforcer 3", Ranch Sport lift 3" or A Metal Cloak 3". I really just want something to accommodate the 35's I'm expecting to get.

During the list I'll be adding a rear bumper/Tire carrier to get the spare off of the tailgate. Then a front bumper would be next. I'm looking into replacing the front axle and adding lockers.

My expectations include:

* Maintain road ride
* Handle 35" tires
* Offroad parks here in Michigan which include woods, logs, hills, mud and water crossing
* And in the winter 2 miles of dirt road that is not plowed often to get to my house.

I plan to start adding details as I get started on the build. I will also post some of the details of what I've already done.

BChaffins

I finally decided on the lift kit I wanted and completed the install this past weekend. I have my own reasons but decided on the AEV DualSport 3.5" lift. I went ahead and got the whole SC kit which included the single tube Bilstein 5100 shocks.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1411607639.207719.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1411607707.731441.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1411607728.485631.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1411607757.330042.jpg
I am taking the fenders and grill to be sprayed with Bullet Bedliner tomorrow and will have it all together this weekend.
Next I'll be getting 315/70/17 Tires and wheels

And I did the lift alone. I'm not sure I'll be doing that again anytime soon, took me about 24 hours and what feels like 1000 sit-ups completing it.

Brian
2008 Sahara 2dr

BChaffins

Also picked up new TrekArmor seat covers. I'm really impressed with the overall construction.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1411612544.496328.jpg
My original seats have seen better days.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1411612608.151977.jpg

Brian
2008 Sahara 2dr
AEV 3.5" DualSport

BChaffins

Today Work

I got my fenders and grill back from the local BedLiner guy. It was intended to be a low cost option until I can upgrade the fenders later. But I like these better then I thought.

new-look.jpg
new-front2.jpg
new-front.jpg
new-grill.jpg
fender-detail.jpg

He coated both sides with a pretty thick layer. Basically the plastic is wrapped in bedliner.

Cost me $150 plus my labor and some new plastic connectors.

I'm now ready for the 35" wheels and tires

BChaffins

Got new bushings for my front track bar. I hope they press in ok. Right now looking at them I'm wondering how that hard black rubber is going to fit into that outer sleeve.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1412899640.608073.jpg

BChaffins

This weekend was a light Jeep project weekend. I installed new grab handles by Synergy to help my wife with mounting and dismounting since the list.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1414373713.832097.jpg

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1414373725.116357.jpg

I like them. They are very solid.

Brian
2008 Sahara 2dr
Manual 6sp
AEV 3.5" DualSport
Bilstein 5100 Shocks
TrekArmor seat covers

BChaffins

I like your build thread.....Subscribed! How are the Bilsteins working out for ya?

Well I don't really have anything to compare them too except the stock equipment. Together the AEV springs and Bilstein shocks are much a tighter ride but then I like it that way.

I'm hoping to get new front and rear bumpers in the next few weeks then wheels and tires. I'm changing from the stock 18" Sahara wheels to 17" and getting Good Year Duratrac 315/70/17

AEV told me I would sit a little high and stiff with stock bumpers. They said their lifts are designed to have aftermarket bumpers for the added weight to make the ride they way it's been designed.

Brian
2008 Sahara 2dr
Manual 6sp
AEV 3.5" DualSport
Bilstein 5100 Shocks
TrekArmor seat covers

JK LYF

Well I don't really have anything to compare them too except the stock equipment. Together the AEV springs and Bilstein shocks are much a tighter ride but then I like it that way.

I'm hoping to get new front and rear bumpers in the next few weeks then wheels and tires. I'm changing from the stock 18" Sahara wheels to 17" and getting Good Year Duratrac 315/70/17

AEV told me I would sit a little high and stiff with stock bumpers. They said their lifts are designed to have aftermarket bumpers for the added weight to make the ride they way it's been designed.

Brian
2008 Sahara 2dr
Manual 6sp
AEV 3.5" DualSport
Bilstein 5100 Shocks
TrekArmor seat covers

I'll continue to keep up with your build thread. Interested on getting bilsteins so looking forward to your thoughts on performance. Thanks again for allowing us to watch your build!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

BChaffins

Finally ordered my wheels this weekend. The person I had been talking to on used wheels feel through. I'm still struggling on the tires I want. I thought it was between Goodyear Duratrac or Nitto Mud Grappler. I know those are vastly different. It's a internal fight between what is practical and why I would like to be doing. But now the local tire shop showed me the Mickey Thompson Deegan tire.

This is my daily driver, but I live out in the country 2 miles down a rough dirt road. And my ride to work is 20 mins on a 2 lane road, so my highway driving is minimal.

Brian
2008 Sahara 2dr
Manual 6sp
AEV 3.5" DualSport
Bilstein 5100 Shocks
TrekArmor seat covers

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
Finally ordered my wheels this weekend. The person I had been talking to on used wheels feel through. I'm still struggling on the tires I want. I thought it was between Goodyear Duratrac or Nitto Mud Grappler. I know those are vastly different. It's a internal fight between what is practical and why I would like to be doing. But now the local tire shop showed me the Mickey Thompson Deegan tire.

This is my daily driver, but I live out in the country 2 miles down a rough dirt road. And my ride to work is 20 mins on a 2 lane road, so my highway driving is minimal.

Brian
2008 Sahara 2dr
Manual 6sp
AEV 3.5" DualSport
Bilstein 5100 Shocks
TrekArmor seat covers

Might also be worth checking out the Nitto Exo Grappler or Toyo R/T. They're a hybrid tire and sit right between an A/T and a M/T. Should give you a nice quiet ride, but still some bite offroad when you air down. Go check out the Tire and Wheel site in the forum for a couple of threads devoted to these tires.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door

Brian
2008 Sahara 2dr
Manual 6sp
AEV 3.5" DualSport
Bilstein 5100 Shocks
TrekArmor seat covers

i personally love my mud grapplers and im sure you would as well. a little on the loud side for some but it doesnt both me one bit. they have been amazing in snow and all other conditions i have thrown at them. if you go that route you will not be disapointed. Also as JKdave said the nitto exo grappler and toyo r/t as solid choice to consider as well as they can now be both thrown in the same group as the Duratrek your considering.

Top Bottom