Questions, questions...

DBats

Hello to everyone!

As the name of my post suggests I've got questions (who doesn't). With my time away from home drawing to a close I'm now in the final stages of ordering all my parts so that they'll be ready when I arrive, which is great except the closer I get to actually ordering the more issues keep jumping out at me. More issues means more considerations, more considerations means spending more money on a budget that I've been trying to get solid for months now.

Now to the meat n' potatoes! Here are my questions!

I've got a stock 2012 JK Sport (automatic) that I'm going to be lifting and putting gears in. The gears I thought were going to be simple, I want 4.88's, so I'd shop around for the best deal on gears and install kits, have my shop back home put them in for a flat install rate and I'm good to go! Until today... when I read that some JK's came with a 3.21 gear ratio, and some with a 3.73, and that if you had the 3.21 you would need a new carrier for your front end. Now I'm about 8000 miles away from my JK at the moment so I very well can't crack the case and count the teeth... Just for peace of mind should I assume that I have the 3.21 and go ahead and order a new carrier along with my gears, and if so does anyone have any reccomendations? What else would I need? Would anything be needed for the rear as well?

Second question (this ones a two-parter!): For my lift I've decided to go with the EVO Enforcer 4", and I noticed that when ordering the kit it asks if you want to add the "optional" draglink flip kit. I've read around on here and googled various other outlets to figure out if one is really -needed- and I've come up with that it's designed to help correct steering geometry, which is good, but not necessary for the kit to function as a whole. When I emailed the guys over at EVO they told me that it's something I needed which has me a little confused. If it's something that without, my front end is going to fall apart, or I'll only be able to make left turns, yeah it's needed... but if it's something thats meant as a corrective measure that I can do later down the road thats a different story, just want to make sure I've got everything I need.

Part two of this is that the guys over at EVO also said I would need rear upper control arms with their lift, which tacks on another 300 bucks to the kit, but in the descriptions of the kit it mentions cutting, welding, rellocating, but it doesn't mention new control arms anywhere, and I haven't been able to find any topics on that either. Is there anyone here that has the Enforcer kit (I know there's a lot) that had to get new rear upper control arms for it? Are there people that didn't? Again, just trying to get all my ducks in a row so I'm not without my Jeep for longer than I need to be!

Sorry for the lengthy post, been thinking about this for a while now! Any help you guys got would be awesome, thanks!

noroad

Hello to everyone!

As the name of my post suggests I've got questions (who doesn't). With my time away from home drawing to a close I'm now in the final stages of ordering all my parts so that they'll be ready when I arrive, which is great except the closer I get to actually ordering the more issues keep jumping out at me. More issues means more considerations, more considerations means spending more money on a budget that I've been trying to get solid for months now.

I've got a stock 2012 JK Sport (automatic) that I'm going to be lifting and putting gears in. The gears I thought were going to be simple, I want 4.88's, so I'd shop around for the best deal on gears and install kits, have my shop back home put them in for a flat install rate and I'm good to go! Until today... when I read that some JK's came with a 3.21 gear ratio, and some with a 3.73, and that if you had the 3.21 you would need a new carrier for your front end. Now I'm about 8000 miles away from my JK at the moment so I very well can't crack the case and count the teeth... Just for peace of mind should I assume that I have the 3.21 and go ahead and order a new carrier along with my gears, and if so does anyone have any reccomendations? What else would I need? Would anything be needed for the rear as well?

Second question (this ones a two-parter!): For my lift I've decided to go with the EVO Enforcer 4", and I noticed that when ordering the kit it asks if you want to add the "optional" draglink flip kit. I've read around on here and googled various other outlets to figure out if one is really -needed- and I've come up with that it's designed to help correct steering geometry, which is good, but not necessary for the kit to function as a whole. When I emailed the guys over at EVO they told me that it's something I needed which has me a little confused. If it's something that without, my front end is going to fall apart, or I'll only be able to make left turns, yeah it's needed... but if it's something thats meant as a corrective measure that I can do later down the road thats a different story, just want to make sure I've got everything I need.

Part two of this is that the guys over at EVO also said I would need rear upper control arms with their lift, which tacks on another 300 bucks to the kit, but in the descriptions of the kit it mentions cutting, welding, rellocating, but it doesn't mention new control arms anywhere, and I haven't been able to find any topics on that either. Is there anyone here that has the Enforcer kit (I know there's a lot) that had to get new rear upper control arms for it? Are there people that didn't? Again, just trying to get all my ducks in a row so I'm not without my Jeep for longer than I need to be!

Sorry for the lengthy post, been thinking about this for a while now! Any help you guys got would be awesome, thanks!

The EVO Enforcer 4in is nice, with that being said you are going to want the flip kit to fix the steering angle. Also you are going to want front sway bar quick disconnects, and the rear upper control arms to fix the drive angle in the back. With 4 inchs you are going to need front and rear drive shafts as well. What size tires do you plan to run? 4.88s might be a little slow for 37s on an auto?

Edit
Also you are probably gona want to look at the off road evolution shop in LA to do your gears!

Last edited:

DBats

The EVO Enforcer 4in is nice, with that being said you are going to want the flip kit to fix the steering angle. Also you are going to want front sway bar quick disconnects, and the rear upper control arms to fix the drive angle in the back. With 4 inchs you are going to need front and rear drive shafts as well. What size tires do you plan to run? 4.88s might be a little slow for 37s on an auto?

Edit
Also you are probably gona want to look at the off road evolution shop in LA to do your gears!

Already got the drivelines covered, going with the 1310 front/rear package from Adams, they're local to vegas too. As for right now I'm going with 35's, until my next deployment when I can save up enough cash for PR44. I'm also sticking with the 35's for now because I'm about to move across the country from Nevada to Maryland this coming Jan, and I'd rather do that on 35's than 37's, haha. So you got new rear control arms installed with your kit right off the bat? Which ones did you go with?

Also I didn't even see you're from B-town, thats where I'm originally from, what part?

noroad

Already got the drivelines covered, going with the 1310 front/rear package from Adams, they're local to vegas too. As for right now I'm going with 35's, until my next deployment when I can save up enough cash for PR44. I'm also sticking with the 35's for now because I'm about to move across the country from Nevada to Maryland this coming Jan, and I'd rather do that on 35's than 37's, haha. So you got new rear control arms installed with your kit right off the bat? Which ones did you go with?

Also I didn't even see you're from B-town, thats where I'm originally from, what part?

ok then you might want to regear to 5.13s as you are getting a pr44 in the future. Also i have a lift kit that came with everything but on my other build i will be getting evo or currie rear adj control arms, the price is up there with most good arms but they are beefy and have good joints!

Also i am from Weymouth!

DBats

Nice! I'm from around the Brockton area. I used to go to a church in south Weymouth though, small world haha!

noroad

What about the carrier for the frontend? Anyone have any experience there?

I got a new carrier for 150ish! That being said i would just look for you build sheet or have a shop run your vin to see if you have 3.21s, if you have 3.73s you will not need one!

StrizzyChris

IS I safe to assume that since your profile and this post states you have a JK sport that it is a 2 door and that you do not have a JKU 4door?

If that is in fact the case, and you have a 2door, then I agree with everything EVO and noroad has told you. I will say that the high steer kit is something you'll definitely want, but is not 100% mandatory. You will notice that without it, your handing and steering at highway speeds is not enjoyable and hitting your breaks quickly is no fun either. It's where I am right now, and I'm VERY ready to install my flip kit ASAP. Go ahead and buy it so you can enjoy your Jeep without any concerns.

DBats

IS I safe to assume that since your profile and this post states you have a JK sport that it is a 2 door and that you do not have a JKU 4door?

If that is in fact the case, and you have a 2door, then I agree with everything EVO and noroad has told you. I will say that the high steer kit is something you'll definitely want, but is not 100% mandatory. You will notice that without it, your handing and steering at highway speeds is not enjoyable and hitting your breaks quickly is no fun either. It's where I am right now, and I'm VERY ready to install my flip kit ASAP. Go ahead and buy it so you can enjoy your Jeep without any concerns.

Thanks Chris, I appreciate the feedback! I'll definitely be looking at the flip kit and trying to juggle some other components around to fit it within my price. Were money no concern I'd be all over it, though right now with Front/Rear bumpers, lift kit, winch, lighting, armor, 5 new wheels, 5 new tires, gears, tuner, fenders, drivelines, shocks, and an exhaust system I'm sitting at around 9grand in parts, and that's with shopping around and making liberal use of the NORTHRIDGE discount. I'm just trying to get a sense of what I absolutely need and what can wait until I'm done licking my wounds from blowing all my deployment money, haha.

And yeah, it's a 2door :D

StrizzyChris

This post actually is the best info you could have provided. I will dissect and organize it how I would do it...but its just my personal opinion so take it for what it's worth

Thanks Chris, I appreciate the feedback! I'll definitely be looking at the flip kit and trying to juggle some other components around to fit it within my price. Were money no concern I'd be all over it, though right now with Front/Rear bumpers, lift kit, winch, lighting, armor, 5 new wheels, 5 new tires, gears, tuner, fenders, drivelines, shocks, and an exhaust system I'm sitting at around 9grand in parts, and that's with shopping around and making liberal use of the NORTHRIDGE discount. I'm just trying to get a sense of what I absolutely need and what can wait until I'm done licking my wounds from blowing all my deployment money, haha.

1-Armor
2-front and rear DS
3-Lift with high steer kit and shocks
4-new tires (and if you have stock 17" JK wheels I'd run those with a set of spidertrak spacers for a couple years)
5-Tuner
6-Gears
7-Rear bumper with carrier
8-Front bumper
9-winch
10-lighting
11-wheels
12-exhaust system
13-fenders (I would/did save money and cut the stock fenders you already have and that's free.

JAGS

Hooked

This post actually is the best info you could have provided. I will dissect and organize it how I would do it...but its just my personal opinion so take it for what it's worth

1-Armor
2-front and rear DS
4-new tires (and if you have stock 17" JK wheels I'd run those with a set of spidertrak spacers for a couple years)
5-Tuner
6-Gears
8-Front bumper
9-winch
10-lighting
11-wheels
12-exhaust system
13-fenders (I would/did save money and cut the stock fenders you already have and that's free.

Chris has put together a good list for you. :yup: In addition to buying new, some of these items can be had for less in the "for sale" section by those now moving from 35s to 37s and/or slabs.

Jeeper714

Hello to everyone!

Since you stated that you have a JK Sport - if this in fact a 2 door model then I would highly suggest that you go with the 3" Enforcer Lift... My enforcer 3" was just installed last week on my '14 JKR (2 door) and I netteed about 3.5"

I also have Currie rear uppers and need them to adjust for the caster angle after the lift...

All and all - the lift turned out great and handling is much nicer on/offroad since the install!

DBats

Since you stated that you have a JK Sport - if this in fact a 2 door model then I would highly suggest that you go with the 3" Enforcer Lift... My enforcer 3" was just installed last week on my '14 JKR (2 door) and I netteed about 3.5"

I also have Currie rear uppers and need them to adjust for the caster angle after the lift...

All and all - the lift turned out great and handling is much nicer on/offroad since the install!

Did you need to correct your steering with the draglink kit, or is that just for the 4"? And after reading everyones comments and shopping around a bit I've added Currie rear uppers into the budget :)

DBats

1-Armor
2-front and rear DS
5-Tuner
6-Gears
8-Front bumper
9-winch
10-lighting
11-wheels
12-exhaust system

Again thank you Chris its good to get a second opinion on all of this, build right the first time. A month or so back I posted a tentative parts list that I was considering... and I've pretty much changed out 90% of it haha. Would you or anyone else mind if I posted up my updated list and go through it before I finalize things? Or I could PM it if it's too much clutter! I'm also now considering holding off on a few things such as lights, or maybe fewer lights to free up some cash for more important things. Also the fender trim, was it easy to do? I've seen the write-up and it looks doable, just dunno if I'll have the space for a DIY project between the time I get back and the time I have to start movin.

StrizzyChris

Would you or anyone else mind if I posted up my updated list and go through it before I finalize things?

Absolutely not, post everything that you got up here that way more than one opinion will help you out and bring up points that some of us may miss in giving advice. No one person is always right, and multiple opinions are always better than one(especially mine :cheesy: ). This will be your own personal pre-build thread :thumb:

I'm also now considering holding off on a few things such as lights, or maybe fewer lights to free up some cash for more important things.

That's what I have, and would do if I were you. :yup:

Also the fender trim, was it easy to do? I've seen the write-up and it looks doable, just dunno if I'll have the space for a DIY project between the time I get back and the time I have to start movin.

It is super easy, and the best way t save yourself a thousand dollars of aftermarket flares! If you take your time, there are very few mods that are easier. In my build thread, I have pics and showed how I did my trim. Eddie has a right up as to how he did it in extensive detail. There are tons of youtube videos on it as well.

DBats

Okay so now I'm looking at ditching the lights and exhaust and going with a set of Slabs for the wheels, and I was browsing Northridge and they have some sort of special deal "buy 1 and get 4 free" for a price of 1750... the wording is a bit funky there are you getting 5 wheels total?

Also will be posting up my updated list here soon so you guys can take a gander at it!

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
Okay so now I'm looking at ditching the lights and exhaust and going with a set of Slabs for the wheels, and I was browsing Northridge and they have some sort of special deal "buy 1 and get 4 free" for a price of 1750... the wording is a bit funky there are you getting 5 wheels total?

Also will be posting up my updated list here soon so you guys can take a gander at it!

yes, you get 5 wheels.
or if you don't have all the money, you can order one at a time. comes out to $50 bucks more.

DBats

Alright here goes!

Armor: EVO Protek skid system

Driveshafts: Adams 1310 front/rear

Lift: EVO Enforcer (3 or 4" haven't decided yet..) with currie R-UCA's

Tires:35x12.50 Nitto Trail Grapplers

Tuner: Superchips Flashpaq

Gears: 4.88's with master install kits and a new 3.73+ front diff carrier

Rear Bumper: Smittybilt XRC with tire carrier

Front Bumper: Smittybilt SRC Stinger

Winch: Smittybilt XRC10

Lights: (to be determined)

Wheels: 17x9 ATX slabs

Exhaust: (to be determined)

Fenders: (to be determined, might go SB, might cut)

Shocks: FoX 2.0 remote reservoir's

Let me know what you guys think! Oh, and I'm getting a deal on the Smittybilt products from my shop back home, was too good to pass up lol.

I'd also like to run Toyo's instead of Nitto's, though I'd like to purchase from DTD but they don't seem to carry Toyo's anymore :grayno:

Last edited:
Top Bottom