Jeep JK Wrangler Ignition Switch Problem - Bump to the Keys Stopped My Motor

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
IMG_8430.jpg

So, today I was driving along the highway, had an itch on my foot, went to scratch it and in the process of doing that, I accidentally bumped my knee on the keys. At first, I didn't really notice anything different due to the fact the radio was playing, the tires were singing and the wind was howling but then I noticed my tachometer and speedometer were sitting at zero and that I no longer had power steering. Realizing my engine was most likely off, I quickly turned down the radio to verify that it was in fact no longer running, turned on the hazards and then carefully worked my way over to the shoulder. Safely out of traffic, I put the transmission back into park, tried turning the engine back on and, just like that, I was up and running again. Just to confirm my suspicions, I decided to bump the bottom of the keys again just to see if it would kill the motor and, it did.

Now, as most of you know, this is a problem that is very similar in nature to what the Chevy Cobalts were seeing to cause GM to issue one of their biggest recalls to date. And, the reason I am sharing this with you is to let you know what I just experienced with my ignition on my 2012 Jeep JK Wrangler today. Above is a pic of my keys in the ignition and admittedly, it's a heavy set of keys. What I might recommend is that you lighten the load on your Jeep key and to be aware that this is something that can happen and so that you don't panic if it ever does. To be clear, I've never seen this happen with my 2007 JK that I still have or on my 2009 JK that I used to have and, to the best of my knowledge, it's not something I have ever seen or heard happening on any JK in the past. If this is all just a fluke or just bad luck, that would be great but, just in case, I thought I would share what happened to me today.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
That is very good to know and, to be fair, I don't think you have that much on your keychain.

Dumb question because I've never tried it...but can you restart an auto in neutral while it's moving and then shift it into drive? I'm thinking it may have to be in park with your foot on the brake to start.

sethccole

It might depend on the model/type of vehicle, but I could on my 2010 f-150. Without the power on, get this, your power steering, power brakes and everything else will go out.

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
That is very good to know and, to be fair, I don't think you have that much on your keychain.

Dumb question because I've never tried it...but can you restart an auto in neutral while it's moving and then shift it into drive? I'm thinking it may have to be in park with your foot on the brake to start.

I know you can start up in neutral while rolling if you have a manual transmission but haven't tried it with my auto. Also, I haven't been ably to reproduce the same thing since the initial event.

noroad

I guess this is a good reason for having a manual! Thanks for the heads up!!

Christarp

Did you bump the keys to the accessory position or was it still in the on position but with a killed engine?

HDGasser

That's what I'm wondering ^^^

Did the key actually turn? Or did it just get bumped?? Seems like with all the desert romping and banging around the rocks it wouldn't be the first time from just bein bumped?

And yes you can start it from neutral on an auto. I do it in my 07 when I'm in drive thrus and have done it a couple times on purpose while rolling down the street to "listen" for things I think I'm hearing lol.

Panda

This reminds me of the time a large pot hole shut my cruise control off on hwy 5 scared the crap outta me :grayno: dam re coils

MurderedJK

I know you can start up in neutral while rolling if you have a manual transmission but haven't tried it with my auto. Also, I haven't been ably to reproduce the same thing since the initial event.

I've been able to start my 2011 (auto) by shifting into N and starting it up while rolling at highway speeds. Wasn't a Chrysler thing, it was a me accidently turning the key when fiddling with my keys...

Zstairlessone

I was on my bike between Tehachapi and Bakersfield and everything went away like that - no lights engine or dash and no restart for a bit in traffic (voltage regulator too close to exhaust - design issue), I'm glad you were able to ease off the road and get safely stopped. Thanks for the heads-up on a potential dangerous and unexpected issue!

LeighP

This reminds me of the time a large pot hole shut my cruise control off on hwy 5 scared the crap outta me :grayno: dam re coils

Same thing has happened once to me as well. Hit a pot hole on country road, Cruise dropped out. Hasn't done it since, I figure either my foot knocked the side of the brake pedal, or maybe the brake switch contacts "bounced"....

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
[/QUOTE]That is very good to know and, to be fair, I don't think you have that much on your keychain.

Dumb question because I've never tried it...but can you restart an auto in neutral while it's moving and then shift it into drive? I'm thinking it may have to be in park with your foot on the brake to start.[/QUOTE]

Yes you can start an auto in neutral while rolling. It's a long story but I did it in my old car 4 times in a matter of 5 mins lol

hogtyed

Thanks for the heads up. I also have a 2012 JK manual, but I have not experienced that problem. I do know that I need to lighten the load on my key chain. Way too many keys and tools hanging on it, I think I will do that today. I don't know how key chains get so filled up with stuff? I guess it like a mans top dresser drawer; before you know it it's jammed slap full. :hmm:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Also thanks for the heads up! My key chain is pretty heavy as well, so I'm going to text this today in my 2011 while it's in the garage. Hopefully it doesn't happen but I will let you know

gtony12

Caught the Bug
Thanks for the heads up. :thumbup: I only keep my jeep and house. Key together to keep it as lite as possible. :)

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Chrysler issued a similar recall not long ago but the Wrangler wasn't included in it. View attachment 97021

I remember that, thanks for posting it up.

Again, this may have just been a crazy fluke and, while I was able to reproduce the problem immediately after it occurred the first time, I have not been able to since. Either way, I just wanted to post this up and let it serve as a record and to let others know what I have experienced.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
Would this be like the GM problem and prevent the air bags to deploy? not trying to cause fear, just curious..

Top Bottom