2012 jku re-gearing question and advice

Geezmrgz

I'm looking to re-gear my 2012 JKU here shortly and I'm looking at the advantages and dis advantages of what I'm looking at doing I would love your opinions and possibly suggestions also. So it's pretty much my daily driver and will be doing moderate wheeling I would say 80% on road and 20% offroad. So this what I'm looking to get but I need some help on the installation kit and don't know which one to get

-G2 4.88s gears dana 30 front and dana44 rear

-G2 dana44 rear axle kit (30spline)

-Dana 44 30 Spline 3.92 Up 4 Pinion E-Locker ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1408931739.023014.jpg

I'm running 37's with 5.13's and love it. I think that's what most people would recommend with 37's.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Geezmrgz

I wanna go with 5.13s but not to sure about it I'm gonna be driving through Southern California so there is a lot of hills and mountains I drive through..

sean.m.adams33

I wanna go with 5.13s but not to sure about it I'm gonna be driving through Southern California so there is a lot of hills and mountains I drive through..

I drove all over so cal with 37's and 5:13. It is a great ride. I don't think you'll regret it.

I live in the mountains and I wouldn't do anything but 5.13's.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using WAYALIFE mobile app

DA RUNT

37's, 5.13's and a D30. That combo might be a little on the steep side if you plan on wheeling.

Geezmrgz

37's, 5.13's and a D30. That combo might be a little on the steep side if you plan on wheeling.

Yea I know it's a bad mix up but I don't think my wheeling will be that serious until I switch it out for a pro rock44 or 60s. Just wanted to regear and lock the rear to help when I do wheel but it won't be anything serious and I will be running my 35s for a while and once I break something worth my while to actually switch out the front axle is kinda when I wanted to move to 37s

jeeeep

Hooked
if you have a D30, I wouldn't recommend going more than 4.88, beyond that the pinion becomes smaller and will become your weak point - with 35's and the 3.6L I would think 4.56 if manual or 4.88 if automatic

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
http://www.4lo.com/calc/gearratio.php

Go check out the differences in gears here. I don't live in the mountains so I wouldn't go over 4.88's with 37's, but if you don't do a lot of highway driving or you drive in the mountains a lot, the 5.13's are what I'd go with. Just don't go bigger (like a 5.38) with a D30.

joeyprice

Its my understanding that the JKs D30 is quite a bit different than the ones that came on the TJ and YJ (as in tougher), although I'm not sure what changed. I don't think I'd try locking any D30 with 5.13s and 37s though.

twoxstreem

I put 4.10s in my 2012 JKU sahara auto. With 35" nittos and a 4" lift it drives pretty good and holds overdrive on the highway as well as on modest climbs.

If I had to do it again I would pick 4.56s especially when I haul a loaded trailer.

This is my DD.

StrizzyChris

I put 4.10s in my 2012 JKU sahara auto. With 35" nittos and a 4" lift it drives pretty good and holds overdrive on the highway as well as on modest climbs.

If I had to do it again I would pick 4.56s especially when I haul a loaded trailer.

This is my DD.

Everything he said is accurate. If you are paying for a re-gear then that means you've upgraded tires. If both of those cases are true, I'd never recommend 4.10.

I ran 35's for about 1.5yrs, currently running 4.10 with 37's, and really wish I had 5.13's with my 37's. BUT 4.10's are doable until I save up the cash for new axles(pipe dream at this point) rather than pay 1k for gears.

Last edited:

GoBig

2012 JKU Running 35's and about 1,000 lbs of extra weight. I have 4.88s and the jeep feels stock again. If you don't plan on adding much extra weight or 37s, I'd stick with 4.56s. I like the 4.88s for my situation.

Top Bottom