Tj questions

Mitrig

OK guys so I have never owned a 2.5L TJ before, personally I own a 07 JKUR but my sister has been want a Jeep for some time now and after taking her wheeling with a few WAYALIFE boys it sealed the deal. So I have been on the hunt for a small tj just as her starter vehicle. Something to get her feet wet without breaking the bank aha. She really wants a JK but obviously can not afford it. Despite hoe much I would like to buy a built up tj just to steal the 35s and swap them for my 33s I decided to get her something stock.

Anyways what I did find was a 2000 TJ with a 2.5L and 100,000miles (well it had 99,999 and while test driving it i turned over to 100000)

I checked the jeep out left and right, under the fenders (rusted to shit) but the entire body is sound, the guy who owned it before made sure to cut all rust and patch it with fibreglass then re paint everything. So the body is clean minus the fenders but those are coming off anyways.

I really can't compare the 2.5L to the 3.8 I drive so iw as wondering what is everyones take on the 2.5L TJs.

PS the guy wants around 4G for it, I have no experience with this model so I don't really know what i should look for and what I shouldn't. But I know after driving a 4.0L that she should not be behind the wheel of one since they are a lot perkier on comparison. This is her first car so I'm making sure it isn't anything she is going to be getting tickets in.

Opinons PLEASE
CHEERS BOYS Screen Shot 2014-08-25 at 12.36.13 PM.png

Unless someone has a line on a tj 4.0 with less that 100,000 miles or close to that for around 6000 I would be willing to pay cash on the spot!!! Ive looked near and far and can't seem to find one that meets my requirement (mind i am in canada [ontario]) so options are pretty limited. and gas is stupid expensive to drive 8 hours to see a tj and come back (1.40/L which is like 5.40 a GALLON)

Last edited:

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
4 bangers a dog, but it'll do fine on 33's. It doesn't have enough power to break much. 4k is a good deal IMO

jeff_in_rc

Well I can add my 0.02 on the 2.5L motor as I had one in my 88 YJ.

With the correct gearing for the tires mind you it will be a good first vehicle for anyone, not a street racer by any means but fun to drive and it will take her anywhere she wants to go.
A lot of people will knock the 2.5 but it is really up to you and your sister, have her drive it and she what she thinks.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
Well I can add my 0.02 on the 2.5L motor as I had one in my 88 YJ.

With the correct gearing for the tires mind you it will be a good first vehicle for anyone, not a street racer by any means but fun to drive and it will take her anywhere she wants to go.
A lot of people will knock the 2.5 but it is really up to you and your sister, have her drive it and she what she thinks.

I agree, its a good motor and will give you very little problems. I beat the hell outta ours and it always run good.

Chadrobb

The 2.5 is a pooch, but it's super reliable and easy to work on. You'll want to check the exhaust manifold as routine maintenance, it gets loose easy, I installed a banks header to solve that. At that mileage go with new motor/tranny mounts as well. Good price on that one if the frame is clean.
Love my 2.5. :) And my 6... and my JK...

Chadrobb

Ahh might as well add this too. The tie rod ends, drag link, trackbar bushing, sway bar bushings etc will all be shot at 100k. AX5 tranny loves new fluid, I change it every 20k because it's failure prone. Like I said though, easy to maintain.

Mitrig

Yea it's a very clean rig, outside and inside. If I get it I'll flush it all out and add new fluids. Guy said he just change all the gear fluids diff and trany but I will do them myself again. Rather see it is done than have to believe it was.

The only thing that was a concern was the fenders but everything else was really clean. It clearly needs new puck on the body they were shot to shit. And I will likely swap the suspension if she choses to keep it past a year before making the jump to a tj with a 4l or an older jk .

Thanks for the tips guys

I did take it for a spin just to make sure it runs well and shifts properly. Passed in my mind but she need to drive it now currently gave the guy a 4k offer with him safetying and etesting

David1tontj

Pvanweeldin had a sick Tj with the 4 banger... He ran 36" swampers. I think it worked well for him, and he recently sold it for dirt cheap (very built)

My ride- 2001 power wheel, 11" plastic tires, upgraded battery, boat sides, custom bumpers, tow hooks, new paint.

pvanweelden

^ thanks David :) mitrig should have bought my tj :)
4.88 and 35's was actually the ideal setup- I could do 80mph. With the 36's my top speed was 75 mph down a hill :)
it did great offroad- and you like piginajeep said- you don't have to worry about breaking anything from too much skinny pedal :)

Sent from my SM-N900V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Mitrig

^ thanks David :) mitrig should have bought my tj :)
4.88 and 35's was actually the ideal setup- I could do 80mph. With the 36's my top speed was 75 mph down a hill :)
it did great offroad- and you like piginajeep said- you don't have to worry about breaking anything from too much skinny pedal :)

yea i remember seeing you had it for sale and would have totally snatched it up myself but it was a little too built up for my sister to run as a DD but would have been perfect for me as a second rig lol

Mitrig

Ended up picking it up for 4000 safetied and etested. Real steal for the condition.

I'll be putting on new tires and rims for her, and new body pucks since they are gone.

And of course WAYALIFE banners ahah.

Mitrig

Thanks guys I am sure she will love it!

She already picked out punk seat covers and wants to plastic dip the rims to match...oh brother

Mitrig

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1410793276.472991.jpg well there she is! She loves the jeep good call on the tj and thanks for the tips guys! Well worth the buy. Tires going on this weekend!

Mitrig

Nice! looks pretty clean! :thumb:

Yea there is literally no rust. It was stored most of the time. Everything on it is still original so we are going to swap out the suspension and tires ASAP.

The 2.5 would have turned me away originally but your rig was amazing.

Any tips on a cheaper suspension to run on the tj? Almost a budget boost set up with oem spec suspension

pvanweelden

Thanks! How much lift are you wanting to do? What size tires? Tons of options, but as always, you get what you pay for. If you go higher than 2.5-3" you will need lca and possibly a sye.
I was at 3.5" lift with 36's with flat fenders in front and no flares in the back.

Mitrig

Thanks! How much lift are you wanting to do? What size tires? Tons of options, but as always, you get what you pay for. If you go higher than 2.5-3" you will need lca and possibly a sye.
I was at 3.5" lift with 36's with flat fenders in front and no flares in the back.

I was looking to do about 2-2.5 nothing major. Whatever would involve the least amount of work. I know on mine I was close to needig a new drive shaft so I would like to stay away from that type of work on her rig. Maybe run 33s max

pvanweelden

Is she going to wheel it?
budget boost would be the easiest- 2" coil spacers, maybe shock extensions, bumpstops to keep out of the flares. should be able to run 33's without a problem, but you will lose what little pep you have now from the 2.5 and 4.10 gears. I ran 33's with the 4.10's for about 6 months- hills will be an issue.

Top Bottom