JK Diff covers

10frank9

Web Wheeler
Greetings all!

After a recent wheeling trip I found the need to upgrade my stock diff covers. I wanted to share what I experienced and let you all make an informed decision.

Note: I should've chosen better lines and I DID previously clearance the "lip" off the bottom of my diff covers.

This is the rear diff cover. You can see that it still peeled back a bit and the bottom of two bolts are damaged pretty good:

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1409017534.553569.jpg

The front diff also has some damage to the bolts which will require a stripped bolt head tool to remove. The dent is from kissing a large boulder with the center of the diff (just to check rigidity if course).

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1409017625.188746.jpg

Needless to say, I will be purchasing aftermarket an aftermarket diff cover WITH recessed bolts.

Hope this helps...... Be safe out there Wayalifers! Oh and choose your lines wisely :cheesy:

Panda

Greetings all!

After a recent wheeling trip I found the need to upgrade my stock diff covers. I wanted to share what I experienced and let you all make an informed decision.

Note: I should've chosen better lines and I DID previously clearance the "lip" off the bottom of my diff covers.

This is the rear diff cover. You can see that it still peeled back a bit and the bottom of two bolts are damaged pretty good:

View attachment 97210

The front diff also has some damage to the bolts which will require a stripped bolt head tool to remove. The dent is from kissing a large boulder with the center of the diff (just to check rigidity if course).

View attachment 97211

Needless to say, I will be purchasing aftermarket an aftermarket diff cover WITH recessed bolts.

Hope this helps...... Be safe out there Wayalifers! Oh and choose your lines wisely :cheesy:

Nice dent there frank! Which covers are you going with?

KingCopperhead

That dragon one is killer lmao.

I just peeled my rear diff cover at Rausch. Ordered a set of poison spyder bombshells for my front and rear.

Northridge + our forum discount can't be beat.

catahoula

Caught the Bug
OK, not gonna lie....the pumpkin cover is awesome! If I had a built up, badass, tough hotrod that's the cover I'd run! :yup:

BALLAH!!!! ARB's are so nice...but about the most expensive cover you can get. Jealous! :thumb:

Yes I agree the pumpkin one is sweet!

noroad

on new diff covers is it wise to grind down the lip(on the cover) so it is more of the housing then cover??

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
I run ARB covers, had riddlers on my last JK. Riddlers were nice, they have no edges and slide well. The ARBs are pretty, have a dipstick, and increase sex appeal by 12%, so I run em. According to ARB, they do increase the torsional strength of the axle, you can be the judge if that claim is fluff or true.

10frank9

Web Wheeler
on new diff covers is it wise to grind down the lip(on the cover) so it is more of the housing then cover??

It's the cover. The OEM cover on the rear will tend to have a "lip" or hang over the housing level. That's what I had ground down but, as you can see it still peeled back a bit..

No doubt in my mind though if I hadn't done so my rig would have spilled diff fluid all over the trail. It would definitely have peeled it back enough to compromise the seal.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door

View attachment 97211

This looks IDENTICAL to what happened to Hinrich the one day. Same spot and same size dent.

Sorry if I missed it but what covers you going with frank?

Edit- never mind saw you said ARB.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
My bolts look like that and I have no issue getting them off or putting them back on. They have been like that for a while now.

Top Bottom