5 Channel amp upgrade on 2013 JK w/ Alpine

Jabester

Thank you for checking this out. I need help with my amp upgrade.

I have a 2013 Jk Rubicon, I have the Alpine amp and sub... I am upgrading to a 5 channel amp and different sub in a box.

Here is the issue.. I have changed out all the speakers, hooked up all the wires, plugged in the sub. But, when I adjust the volume, I have zero sound when volume is all the way down, and only loud when I turn the volume up. there is no range in volume, just loud or none.

So, I have everything on the amp turned down.

What is the fix to bypass or to use the factory amp along with the 5 channel amp and be able to adjust the volume. Again, there is only no sound or loud in the adjustment. No louder, No quieter, just no sound or one volume of loud.

Thank you for your help. I am running through the factory amp to the 5 channel.

gtony12

Caught the Bug
Your running the factory amp thru the new amp? Or factory head unit?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

gtony12

Caught the Bug
Its been awhile sense I have installed a stereo system but I didn't know you can run 1 amp through another. Usally if I was running 2 amps I would use 1 for the tweeters and mid range spreakers and 2nd p for the sub. Are you running a cross over?

Jabester

Its been awhile sense I have installed a stereo system but I didn't know you can run 1 amp through another. Usally if I was running 2 amps I would use 1 for the tweeters and mid range spreakers and 2nd p for the sub. Are you running a cross over?

Yes I do have a cross over. maybe I am just doing it all wrong... IDK.... I have sound and I can not adjust anything from the head unit at all. including sound, treble, base, fade, volume. I can only change stations.

anviljk

You need to run the factory amp into your aftermarket amp your radio uses a data signal to adjust yhe volume. I've done it a few time had the same issues the first time. Hope that helps.

Sent from my SM-G900P using WAYALIFE mobile app

Jabester

You need to run the factory amp into your aftermarket amp your radio uses a data signal to adjust yhe volume. I've done it a few time had the same issues the first time. Hope that helps.

Sent from my SM-G900P using WAYALIFE mobile app

Ok. I have it the other way I bet.... I will just reverse the set up. I hope it does to.... Thank you for your help. I always know the answer is simple..... you get caught up wiring and get lost in it sometimes.

jeeeep

Hooked
I added a 5 channel amp and I had to get a new adapter to get the head unit to work with the amp.

I got it from Crutchfield but you should be able to get it locally

2010 JKU

gripenfelter

You need a good LOC (line out converter) that can handle the rated power of the factory amplifier. Connect (front/Rear/Sub) power out of factory to LOC. Run RCA into new amplifier, done.

Rule of thumb regarding car audio.....Your sound is only as good as its source.

Meaning people forget that, put a bunch of high dollar equipment in their vehicles, and leave the factory headunit expecting it to sound good. I always advised my customers, when I use to install car audio, to start with the headunit and work your way back in pieces.

Last edited:

Jabester

Thanks guys for your help. I will work on it today and let you know the results. I do appreciate your time.

Wheel On!!!!

JayKay

Caught the Bug
Look into PAC line out converters. They make one for JKs with the premium audio. They're a plug and play set-up. Plug in between the head unit and factory amp

JayKay

Caught the Bug
Even better...:thumb:

I put an aftermarket amp and sub in my JKU with no factory amp. Kinda sad that PAC doesn't make a direct fit LOC for JKs without the premium sound. Had to splice in a universal one as much as I hate cutting into OE wiring on such a new vehicle

Jabester

I put an aftermarket amp and sub in my JKU with no factory amp. Kinda sad that PAC doesn't make a direct fit LOC for JKs without the premium sound. Had to splice in a universal one as much as I hate cutting into OE wiring on such a new vehicle

Handled.. I had it wired wrong.... I was backwards basically. You need to wire everything from the factory amp to the 5 channel.. I had it all separate... kinda hard to explain as my head is now all wacked out from thinking too much!!!! Thank you guys so much for your help!

utiadam

LOSER
Handled.. I had it wired wrong.... I was backwards basically. You need to wire everything from the factory amp to the 5 channel.. I had it all separate... kinda hard to explain as my head is now all wacked out from thinking too much!!!! Thank you guys so much for your help!

Are you using any sort of signal processor? I have the factory radio going to a JL Audio signal summing module and then into a JL Audio Cleansweep. That cleans up the signal out of the factory radio and then converts them into RCA preouts. You can see them in "My Billet Rubi Build" in the build thread.

I'm going to preface this with I owned a car audio shop for a while and still build custom audio products for people now and again and I'm a licensed commercial sound contractor... and this is going to sound like I'm being an ass... but I don't mean it that way :D so I'm sorry in advance :D

So let me get this straight here... you kept your factory HU (For what reason?) and factory amp (Again for what reason?) and then installed another amp downstream from the factory?? Assuming I followed that correctly....

You understand that by doing that you are taking a crappy source signal from the garbage factory HU, feeding it into a crappy factory amp that is amplifying that crappy signal... only to feed that now amplified crappy signal into another amp to amplify it again.... then out to your speakers.

So why didn't you want to just ditch all the factory gear and get a proper head unit for your jeep? I'm just curious at this point.

Again I totally get this is your jeep and its really none of my business either way, but you will have a better sound system if you ditch that stuff. But again its your jeep if you're happy with it that's all that really matters. :thumb:

Top Bottom