Just regeared and now I see a leak?

Ant's JK

I just got my jeep regeared and had a rear locker installed, once i arrived home I saw some fluid pooled in my rim and I have no idea where its coming from. I was looking for some of your expert opinions on where its coming from or what fluid it is? It looks like an axle seal leak but im not sure. I only have 17,000 miles on it. Is it drive-able? Here is a pic IMG_20140826_181034_943 (1).jpg

Last edited:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
i would suggest you clean it up and then drive it for a day. afterword just check back up on it. when they did the regear they have to pull your axle shafts so its most likely just the extra fluid that was in your axle tube leaking out.

Ant's JK

Ok I will clean it up and see what happens. It was sitting in the lot for a day prior to me driving it home, is common for it to drain the residue out even a day after the job was done?

Sent from my XT907 using WAYALIFE mobile app

JayKay

Caught the Bug
I just got my jeep regeared and had a rear locker installed, once i arrived home I saw some fluid pooled in my rim and I have no idea where its coming from. I was looking for some of your expert opinions on where its coming from or what fluid it is? It looks like an axle seal leak but im not sure. I only have 17,000 miles on it. Is it drive-able? Here is a pic View attachment 97347

Is that the front? Looks like the rear

Ant's JK

How do you recommend I drive it to see if it leaks again ?

Ant's JK

I'm really conceded about this situation since it was expensive has anyone had similar experiences after they re geared?

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I'm really conceded about this situation since it was expensive has anyone had similar experiences after they re geared?

mine didnt leak when i regeared but i did leak a little when i went to have my pinion bearing replaced. cleaned it up and drove normally. didnt happen again.

this an example of what i mean with the rear axle leaking a bit when you pull the shafts. this is from the rear axle shaft replacement thread. in the second pic you can see on the ground where some gear oil came out and is now on the floor.
http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?5162-Rear-Axle-Shaft-Removal-amp-Installation-Write-Up

"8. Pull the axle shaft along with the emergency brake and dust shield completely out of the housing. You may find it necessary to gently coax it out with a pry bar. Also, be sure to have some rags handy as some gear oil will pour out of the housing."
main.php

main.php

Ant's JK

Ok gochya I understand what you mean I will take your advice and drive it around and see what happens. Thank you for that information

Top Bottom