Differential/Transfer Case Maintenece

JKBlackie

So I'm fairly new to Jeeps and really everything that has to do with the mechanics of an automobile and I've read/heard about doing regular maintenance to the differentials and also to the transfer case as well and I have little to no idea what all that entails. I have the standard D30 up front and D44 rear axles so any help or information would be greatly appreciated!

KingCopperhead

So I'm fairly new to Jeeps and really everything that has to do with the mechanics of an automobile and I've read/heard about doing regular maintenance to the differentials and also to the transfer case as well and I have little to no idea what all that entails. I have the standard D30 up front and D44 rear axles so any help or information would be greatly appreciated!

As for maintenance intervals on your diffs and tcase, check the owners manual. Also, if you take your rig through water, you'll want to check your diff fluid and maybe change it. If I were you (I was a few months ago in fact) I'd go to the jk technical section of these forums and check out all of the write-ups and guides that are in that section. It covers a lot of the maintenance and mods for these jeeps. Provides photos, detailed instructions and a list of necessary tools.

Best of luck and if you've got more questions there's great folks here with a ton of good info.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door

deff use this for if you need to service them. super easy to do!

as far as miles wise it really all depends. 30,000 if your not off roading at all, 15,000 if you off road and maybe even sooner if you do a lot of deep water crossings. i have been following the heavy abuse service which is the 15,000 miles. just did my diffs last week and need to do my transmission next.

KingCopperhead

deff use this for if you need to service them. super easy to do!

as far as miles wise it really all depends. 30,000 if your not off roading at all, 15,000 if you off road and maybe even sooner if you do a lot of deep water crossings. i have been following the heavy abuse service which is the 15,000 miles. just did my diffs last week and need to do my transmission next.

I'm on the "I peeled my diff cover on RC blacks so I have to redo my diff covers and change the oil at 3000 miles" schedule ;-)

KingCopperhead

lol! i have been there as well. it happens to the best of us :crazyeyes:

No joke. Every person I've met who has gone to rausch and played on blacks has done this. I'll be better prepared next time lol. Oh BTW that spot you went up in the video I linked on YouTube last week, is nasty! Idk how you went up it. I went down it twice lol. Not sure what the name of that hill is but I definitely want to try climbing it next time. Hopefully I can get in on this trip but idk if I'll have the jeep ready by then. My plans for the weekend did fall thru tho so basically I'll be free.

Top Bottom