Replace Torgue Converter on 42RLE (Error Code P0732)

TRAILN

Hi guys,

Got a 2008 JKU Sport 3.8 Auto on stock gearing and 33s.

I'm getting what feels like "Torque Shudder" on take off and suspect its the Torque Converter that has failed/failing (based on other internet search info). Error code is P0732 / Gear 2 Incorrect Ratio and from time to time it will go into limp mode and stay in 2nd gear.

Cause of this is likely to have been overheated trans fluid (to point of smoke into the cabin) after attempting to climb a small, vertical bank in high range - ROOKIE ERROR I know.

Can't afford $5000 to $7000 for a reconditioned transmission, so am looking at just replacing the torque converter and hope like crazy that this fixes it.

Question: Does anyone have a descent write-up on how to do this?

We've done most repairs on our Jeep ourselves, so am willing to "give it a crack" - after all, what's the worst that can happen :) (gulp)

Hopefully someone can point us in the right direction

TIA

Before you go crazy and replacing the transmission do a complete drain and flush of the transmission to include changing the filter. Since you overheated the trans fluid I would start there.

As for changing the torque converter it can be accomplished with basic shop tools and a transmission jack. If you have access to a lift that will make it a lot better. Try looking up a video on youtube to accomplish it.

I would try the fluid flush first, which you can do in your drive way. Look at Project-JK for the write up.

R/
Will

TRAILN

Many thanks for the that -much appreciated.

Yep, have had the fluid and filters replaced, but problem still persists

Sent from my GT-I9100T using WAYALIFE mobile app

tapcola

FIY , Thiers a guy on hear just bought a 3.8 with a tranny that he doesn't need might want to look him up His name is Cochran .

Top Bottom