Anyone seen this? What are your thoughts?

MurderedJK

Keep the transmission fluids from reaching extreme temps by adding a trans fluid cooler and/or regearing. This will keep the trans fluid from boiling out of the dipstick tube and onto the manifolds (equals FIRE). Another common jeep fire starter is poor wiring of aux lights, winches and so on.

If memory serves me there is a recall on the transmission lines to prevent this.

There is a member on the forum, IrishJK, I think has experienced it. I am not sure what the final determination was to cause the fire. As mentioned by another member is to get an additional transcooler.

R/
Will

kyleolson

Yes. Talk to IrishJK. He has seen this first hand, and has a pretty sweet fire suppression system on his new JK.

jims68

Transmission over temp in first few year jk's killed many! That is how my jk came to me from NY. Front end gone, fire was just starting to enter cab from firewall and soft top via snorkel. I wanted to do a v8 swap and this seemed to be a good way to save a few bucks and keep a chassis from scrap. After pulling motor and tranny I drained all fluids and water! Fire department filled motor and transmission to the top along with interior! Motor oil was fine but tranny was burnt. Chrysler did not program a over temp light and TSB CSN-J31 is for this. Safety recall N28 is for rubbing cooler line with power steering lines. Along with adding a good cooler pretty much fixed the issue. Mine didn't have a cooler or at least it was gone along with anything else that would burn or melt!

Top Bottom