Questions...

AlexwBlkJK

Ok... I have been reading and reading and making my list of mods, updating/changing that list as I learn more and more...BUT.. I still have questions and maybe I am just lazy or cant find the answer easily using the search function :crazyeyes::crazyeyes:

Right now she sits stock and like everyone that has got the jeep virus I want want want....LOL...
After watching the MOAB videos, and me wanting to take the pilgrimage in the next couple years I think I should be thinking about 35's and not 33's....

QUESTION.... will running 35's on my stock axles kill them (bend)? Should I have the gussets done BEFORE I go up to big tires? what about sleeves?
I know it will effect the ball joints and plan on taking advantage of the duratrac ball joints ASAP(there good for now but the $100 rebate is hard to beat and they will need to be replaced at some point anyway)
My dream would be to slap ProRock 60's front and back....DREAM :blush:

I am saving up to go with the EVO 3" Enforcer lift with Blistien 5100 shocks....:clap2::clap2:

She is my DD and will continue to be... I will do most of the work myself except when it comes to the serious welding (I am decent but not that great YET)

be kind and gentle I am still a newb learning about all this stuff...

Sharkey

Word Ninja
QUESTION.... will running 35's on my stock axles kill them (bend)? Should I have the gussets done BEFORE I go up to big tires? what about sleeves?

You can definitely bend your C's with 35's, but it's not going to happen just driving to get the gussets welded on. Don't waste your time with sleeves, they won't prevent your axle tubes bending at the differential housing.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
as sharkey said do the C gussets and skip the sleeves. since you will be welding the gussets on its not a bad idea and just pull the stock ball joints and put in the dynatracs afterwords. your jumping the gun with a great product. :yup: also since you have a sport you will eventually bend you axle BUT its all good. reason is because the less you spend on your D30 the more money you will have for a PR44 or the PR60 like your dreaming of.

AlexwBlkJK

ok.. so go ahead and PLAN on the axle bending at some time EVEN with the gussets on the ends...:eek::eek:

What if I dont wheel real hard? will just DD get the axle to bend running 35's with out gussets? Should I worry about a bend or separation at the pumpkin?:icon_crazy:
I want to make sure that my rig stays in good shape while enjoying it and saving for the goodies... :clap2::clap2:
I know all the questions from the newb... I just keep seeing the posts of bend axle running 35's or 37's on the stock axles..... BUT all I also read is skip doing 33's because all you will want once you wheel with them is 35's... UGGGG.. so much still to learn...

thanks to any and all for the info.. this is by far the BEST forum to get real answers from true wheeler's...

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
ok.. so go ahead and PLAN on the axle bending at some time EVEN with the gussets on the ends...:eek::eek:

What if I dont wheel real hard? will just DD get the axle to bend running 35's with out gussets? Should I worry about a bend or separation at the pumpkin?:icon_crazy:
I want to make sure that my rig stays in good shape while enjoying it and saving for the goodies... :clap2::clap2:
I know all the questions from the newb... I just keep seeing the posts of bend axle running 35's or 37's on the stock axles..... BUT all I also read is skip doing 33's because all you will want once you wheel with them is 35's... UGGGG.. so much still to learn...

thanks to any and all for the info.. this is by far the BEST forum to get real answers from true wheeler's...

if you dont gusset your C's you will bend them even on 33's jsut driving around town. if your axle is going to bend anywhere it will bend at the pumpkin. this is why sharkey said that even sleeves are pointless cause it will still bend at that spot.

your axle will bend over time. its enevitable (propb didnt spell that right lol). your rig will be fine for a while. just dont run 37's on your D30. stick with 35's till your axle bends and forces you to upgrade or till budget allows you to upgrade to a PR44 or even PR60.

AlexwBlkJK

THANKS alot Guys...

VERY helpful I will start saving for the pro rock JUST to be ready...LOL... NOW I need to find a good shop that wont rape me to weld on the gusets... I don't want to attempt it and make it warp or bend from my stupidity... I Watched the video EVO doing the gusset and it looks straight forward, but my welds are never that clean..LOL..

Any one suggest a great offroad shop in houston on or near the Westside??? I have been to a couple club meet and greats since I got my rig a month ago and everyone says someplace different.. but all say stay away from 4wheel parts.....

Sharkey

Word Ninja
And for what its worth, it's not like the bend at the pumpkin is going to be catastrophic. Many people drive for a very long time with a bent front end. You will leak a little fluid and maybe get some uneven tire wear, which is annoying, but none of that is going to happen over night. Plus, it's not like there is a big market for used D30's out there so I wouldn't worry about being able to sell it to help fund a Dynatrac set up.

Gusset it, forget about it, wheel it. You should be fine for quite some time, especially if you aren't wheeling hard and fast.

JAGS

Hooked

If you're thinking about 35s, get em. If you're thinking about 37s, get em. I saved and contemplated for an extra year going back and forth between 35s and 37s. Ended up going 37s because I knew I'd regret not getting them more than I would being happy with 35s.

Have the same talk in your head between 33s and 35s. Do it once as tires are a huge expense and also help determine what other upgrades you'll need...some sooner and some later.

That brings me to axles. Will you bend yours??? Possibly. How soon. That depends on how and what you're driving over. With a D30 and 35s you may be interested in the upgrade of a locker and beefier shafts. Thus a new housing for those items to rest in. Do the gussets for sure as you can bend Cs on potholes with larger tires. But don't throw extra money at the 30 and save for other items. If budget is tight, go easy on the skinny and don't do any bombing through the whoops. Just my :twocents: from things I've picked up here.

Top Bottom