Radiator question catch all

JEEPnGEO

I have several questions about radiator hoses, thermostats etc..

I have 40K on my rig and it is an 2009 so I am going to change out the anti-freeze soon. The hoses do not have any signs of failing and I have no leaks but I don't want to dump 50.00 bucks of fluid down the drain a year later if a hose starts to fail. So when I do something like this I like to replace the fluid, hoses, thermostat, coolant sensor etc..

The reason I want to change the temp sensor is the indicator reaches high noon and will go no farther. I don't know this is normal but I can have the AC on sitting for 45 minutes in the sun while talking on the phone sitting on a concrete slab parking lot with no trees. The temp outside was 102. I wish I could see it go higher but it never does. I may want to do the belt idler also.. Does anything go out around 40-50K miles that I should know about?

It seems like I am going to go to the dealer for hoses.. Not one parts house in all of San Antonio has the right hoses... The Gates upper hose is to short. The part that goes to the t-neck is about 2.5 to 3 inches to short.

I was looking at those silicone hoses and was wondering if the radiator fluid will work with the silicone material? I don't mind getting dealer hoses but the other ones are lifetime warrantee.

BTW I have never overheated and I never had to add any antifreeze since I bought the Jeep in 2011.

Thanks for any input.

High noon on the gauge is about normal. Only time mine ever goes past that is if I'm pulling a steep grade with the A/C on and loaded down. There's likely nothing wrong with your sending unit at all.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
We got two threads on similar issues, and I don't know which one is better to put this on. But when I'm climbing steep hills even on a trail, mine needle gets to the 3/4 mark. Now is the over flute tank supposed to be empty? Or have some fluid in it?

SaddleTramp

We got two threads on similar issues, and I don't know which one is better to put this on. But when I'm climbing steep hills even on a trail, mine needle gets to the 3/4 mark. Now is the over flute tank supposed to be empty? Or have some fluid in it?

Mine does the same thing after adding all the weight, 37's, re-gear, winch, etc.. It will get up to 3/4 on the needle and 240-245 degrees with the EVIC on long pulls especially when the auto kicks down to 4th/3rd gear. See a lot of others with the same symptoms. It does concern me and I try to bump shift or reduce speeds to minimize how long it stays there but seems to be the norm with a lot of others and the 3.6. I've considered the louvers or aftermarket hoods and may try one of those options soon.

I've always been told to keep the reservoir at 1/2 full so it can push/pull fluid from it when needed, I just keep some of the 50/50 mix OAT (2014) in the garage if needed.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
Mine does the same thing after adding all the weight, 37's, re-gear, winch, etc.. It will get up to 3/4 on the needle and 240-245 degrees with the EVIC on long pulls especially when the auto kicks down to 4th/3rd gear. See a lot of others with the same symptoms. It does concern me and I try to bump shift or reduce speeds to minimize how long it stays there but seems to be the norm with a lot of others and the 3.6. I've considered the louvers or aftermarket hoods and may try one of those options soon.

I've always been told to keep the reservoir at 1/2 full so it can push/pull fluid from it when needed, I just keep some of the 50/50 mix OAT (2014) in the garage if needed.

I better go check my reservoir. I think it looked dry. And better go read the coolant thread. I think my 12 and 14 use different coolant.

JEEPnGEO

Thanks all. I will leave my temp sensor alone then. Does anyone know how long the Rad hoses last? How about the t-stat.

Thanks,

Top Bottom